Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1196  (Read 1068 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1196
« on: April 18, 2011, 08:50:07 PM »
Robservations #1196

FAREWELL, HUMBERT ALLEN ASTREDO!

Humbert Allen Astredo makes his final appearance on DS in this ep...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1196
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 09:15:15 PM »
Abnyssinia, Mr. Astredo.   You were cool.   Well, you probably still are.

Another good episode.   Storm actually really sounds like Judah, for the first and last time, with Angelique.   Very good Leticia/Desmond scene.    Cliffhanger: Q's head on block.

Don't know who wrote this-- shortened credits.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 09:15:54 PM »
Mr. Astredo was an absolutely wonderful villain, what with that unbelievably wicked killer smile of his. [easter_smiley]

I'm glad, that as Charles Dawson, Mr. Astredo did NOT have to wear that seemingly ubiquitous grey suit of his, which "poor" Nicholas Blair always seemed to be decked out in. [easter_evil] 

(Aren't Satan's top emissaries provided with an adequate expense budget for classy and snazzy threads while on Earth acting in his "behalf"?)  [easter_huh]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »
HAA was consistently wonderful, from his first appearance as Nicholas Blair to his demise in this ep. I for one thought it was a wonderful and imaginative touch that Wardrobe dressed Nicholas entirely in gray. He brought so much energy and enthusiasm to all his roles.

Storm as Judah: This is the first and only time we really get to see Judah in his true colors. I almost--almost--felt sorry for Angelique when she cried all the harder on realizating that her powers were really and truly gone. Well, at least her magical ones anyway--she did her best to seduce Dawson.

Nice turn by David Hurst as Justin Collins--the scene with him and Melanie is very tender and touching. And we hear the name "Bramwell" for the first time. Barnabas's reaction is him all over: What room are they talking about? Why can't I help them? But really, Barn, you have plenty of people to help on this side of the upstairs parlor!

Lovely and equally touching scene with Leticia and Desmond in prison. Even sadder when Judah stops her. I hope Nancy Barrett had a rest between those demanding scehes.

Q1 at last becomes almost Zen-like in his attitude toward his impending demise, although it's funny how his W.Va. accent creeps in when he tells Desmond they have no one to object to.

And a powerful bit of writing for Q1 when he tells Desmond, I'll go first. The deposed Master of Collinwood and builder of the Stairway through Time has only one thing left in his power to give anyone, and he gives it all without hestation: time. Plain Desmond looks almost noble as he and Quentin exchange farewell glances, friends to the last.

Anyway, a fabulous episode jam-packed with wonderful moments and an unbeatable cliffhanger ending!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:30:48 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:47:01 AM »
Yes, there lots of good scenes in this episode, and lots of fantastic memories of Humbert Allen Astredo throughout the series.

As the headsman gave a practice swing with his axe and then Quentin was brought in, naturally I played the corresponding music from the Yeomen of the Guard in my head, and wondered if the Dark Shadows costume crew had somebody run over to the New York Gilbert and Sullivan Players to borrow the headsman's outfit and the axe.  And did the town of Collinsport have somebody run up to Bangor for them?

I'm glad I wasn't David Selby at the end of the episode, kneeling under the axe.  Of course the headsman wouldn't let the axe on purpose, but accidents can happen.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 02:56:41 PM »
A practice swing on a log and then they left the split log on the block and Quentin rests his head on the pieces. Strange.

Gerard the only citizen to come out and watch? You would think the whole town would be out there.

John is wearing an undershirt under his puffy pirate shirt. But then, John's an undershirt kind of guy.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 02:57:50 PM »
Unless they did an off-camera switch, that axe did NOT have a rubber blade, unlike the infamous wobbly one in Braveheart.  [diablo]

Actually, on looking again at the frame grab in the Robservations, I thought not of Yeomen of the Guard (which I sang chorus in long ago) but "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep."  [easter_cry]