Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0542  (Read 686 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0542
« on: September 11, 2013, 03:54:05 PM »
Robservations #542

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0542

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:49:50 PM »
Julia's making many assumptions but in her case they're warranted. Barnabas tries to reel her in but gets sucked into the hysteria. They decide finding Adam before Cassandra does is of the utmost importance. I'd say so. Though hypnotizing David to find out the exact message would be wise as well but that apparently is no longer an option. I wonder if she ever hypnotizes anyone ever again.

Mrs. J. notices that food has gone missing and asks her son if he's been stealing it for his hoodlum friends, lol. Slocum doesn't come anywhere near pulling of his role and it's a shame. Clarice is still somehow able to perform admirably.

Adam's getting antsy and that can't be good. Carolyn visits. Adam opens up to her about being lonely. Adam is at his most sensitive to date. He's falling for Carolyn. He makes an amorous move but Carolyn is terrified and tries to encourage friendship. Adam gets brutish but Carolyn convinces him to let her go. Adam's room is still filthy. He doesn't look any differently than usual but today he kept reminding me of Mr. (Mike) Brady. This scene went well (acting/writing).

Barn comes for Carolyn. Harry finds her exiting the West Wing (not good). Barn demands Carolyn tell him where Adam is and she feigns ignorance. Barn begs as Harry eavesdrops (not good). Another decent scene. I liked Barn's desperation contrasted by Carolyn's evasiveness.

Harry tells mom about his altercation with Carolyn. Harry wonders why Carolyn was in the West Wing and literally searches it to find out. He is accosted by Adam.

Mrs. J. looks nice in blue and is sporting a perfect bun. Could this be the end of good old Harry?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 09:51:15 PM »
Barnabas looks very good in his red velvet smoking jacket, but it's sad to see Julia so uncharacteristically defeated.

Mrs. Johnson accuses her ne'er-do-well son Harry of stealing food, but for a change he isn't the culprit.

Carolyn brings Adam his breakfast. When he’s feeling good about himself and his accomplishments he refers to himself as “I,” but when he’s unhappy he reverts to third person. The poem he reads to her is one of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Sonnets from the Portuguese, and he reads it very nicely too. Carolyn comes to the sudden and unhappy realization that she is dealing with a lovestruck teenager--a very large, lovestruck teenager--and makes a hasty exit.

Barnabas grills Carolyn about Adam while Harry eavesdrops. His mother catches him at it and tells him that "Miss Stoddard" doesn't want him going upstairs. Harry promptly goes upstairs and the locked door to the West Wing with a piece of clear plastic (not so many credit cards back then, if you can imagine!)

Harry's exploration of the cobwebby West Wing come to an abrupt end. Still starry-eyed and oblivious of rejection, Adam blissfully murmurs Carolyn's name over and over as he caresses the book that She touched. Overcome with curiosity, Harry moves toward the door to listen. Suddenly it opens to reveal a very large man with a pair of very large hands who drags him into the room beyond and slams the door....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 01:46:55 AM »
Can't Carolyn take all the food she wants out of the kitchen?  Doesn't anyone come down in the middle of the night and raid the refrigerator? 

Harry's back.  I guess they suddenly remembered he was supposed to be there.   I liked how the camera traveled from the foyer to the West Wing locked door, to Adam's room.   The widest land ... doom takes two?   nice scene.  DarkLady continues to impress, with the cultural references.

Even no-good Harry wears a tie.   I wonder who was insisting that those unkempt young people dress up....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 03:22:55 PM »
LOL, MT! I'm sure Mrs. J insisted that her no-good son wear a bow tie in the hope that it might make him look employable.

Full disclosure: I Googled the first line of the poem--that's how I found out about it. Music I do know, poetry I don't.

Don't forget that the Collinses are WASPs. WASPs never eat. Remember the scene in Annie Hall where Woody Allen has dinner with Annie and her family? Everybody has three peas on their plate and that's all.  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 02:36:15 AM »
Hard luck Harry returns and we learn he is drunk and has no job. The hallway in the West wing is nicely adorned with cobwebs and has some interesting beams in the ceiling. Harry doesn't look like he eats enough to be accused of stealing food, he manages to snoop his way into trouble and Adam grabs the ne'er do well.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times