Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0540  (Read 1086 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0540
« on: September 08, 2013, 06:00:57 AM »
Robservations #540

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0540

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:28:47 AM »
I'll have to wait for others' remarks to comment since I found little to make notes about, in my DS spiral notebook.   Just "John Karlen VO?" and "Cass gets 1 hour, hears Lang on tape.  9 PM."

I miss Lydia here.   So I went back and read the WP remarks from last time around.  I should do that more often.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 02:56:17 PM »
What does that do for you, Magnus?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »
I don't have much on this ep. either.

Humbert Allen Astredo does the opening voice-over, his first--and very nicely too, at least according to my notes.

Cassangelique forces Willie to come to her at the gazebo and hypnotizes him into doing her bidding. After she leaves, Nicholas materializes, but without any puff of smoke. Just to be mean, he shortens Cass's deadline from midnight to 9:00 p.m., just one hour from now.

David is desperate enough to get someone, anyone to listen to the tape that he asks his step-aunt. Naturally, she gives him the brush-off, so he goes off to bed. But he pauses on the stairs, turns around, and asks her, Do you know very much about Barnabas? Do you know what his affliction? Now David has Cassandra’s undivided attention. Grabbing his arm, she propels him back to the drawing room. He’s even more surprised when she tells him, Hurry! I want to hear the tape. The tall clock in the foyer now reads 8:58. He tells her, There's music [we gather he thinks Mozart is boring], then some strange talking. Frantically, Cassandra tells him to fast forward to the talking. She is even more astonished than David was to hear Eric Lang's last, desperate warning to Julia. The music resumes, so David turns off the recorder. Do you know what it means? he asks. Adam … Barnabas--of course! she exclaims. What do you know about Adam? David asks. It's now about 8:59, so she orders David to go to his room quickly, nearly hysterical. As the clock strikes the hour, she screams again and again for Nicholas.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 07:00:56 PM »
OVO sounds like John Karlen to me but I'll take your words for it, I'm sure it must have been confirmed.

Blair vs Blair: Cass begs and Nick taunts. Neither of them know their lines but pull off the scene nearly without a hitch. Cass figures out Willie is her best bet for survival.

David & Willie: David confronts Willie about Adam at the Old House. Stupid Willie sends him away instead of being smart enough to at least hear him out and report his findings. This kind of stuff would have drove me nuts as a kid, lol.

Cass & Willie: Willie spills the beans as he knows it. Bad direction here IMO. Karlen's composure as Willie was ill advised. Must be John Weaver directing.

Blair vs Blair: Good scene despite the slip ups.

Cass & David: Ditto per DarkLady's notes.

Blair vs Blair so far has always made for good watching. And as per usual HAA & Parker did not disappoint. I didn't hear the step-aunt blooper. Hated David's jacket - on him. Willie meets Cass on the terrace, not the gazebo. John Weaver did direct.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 09:14:31 PM »
You're right, dom. John Karlen does the OVO.

Always a fashion leader in Collinsport, David is wearing a safari jacket!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 10:56:37 PM »
What does that do for you, Magnus?

Well, it just gives me a chance to see what Lydia had to say, and get other reactions in general, that's all.   Sometimes I need a bit of stimulus to get my own thoughts going.

Did they tell JK, "Okay, you can do the voiceover, if you can get rid of your accent..." ?Over the course of DS, he gets better and better at doing that.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 03:41:26 AM »
Cassandra covers her hand in bandages and must have some fake hand over the skeleton one as it looks like a bandaged hand.  There is much reading off the TelePrompTer. David sneaks off to the Old house like old times.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 05:47:16 PM »
Did they tell JK, "Okay, you can do the voiceover, if you can get rid of your accent..." ? Over the course of DS, he gets better and better at doing that.

I wonder if it's been established where Willie is from? Does anyone recall? I only recall that he roamed the seven seas with Jason (if that is indeed correct).

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 06:13:44 PM »
I believe Willie originally was supposed to be from somewhere in the South. At least, that's where Jason found him. He may have been from somewhere else originally, given JK's accent!