Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0973  (Read 641 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0973
« on: September 12, 2015, 12:00:08 AM »
Robservations #973

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0973

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 06:16:16 PM »
Carolyn has finally changed outfits. Jeb tells her about the shadow. She vows they'll fight it together. He's sad that she even knows about Nicholas. He goes out but won't tell her where.

Wonderful scene with Quentin and Sabrina: Quentin and Sabrina are talking in her room (somewhere, the inn maybe). She tells him, Tomorrow night will be the full moon, but Chris refuses to discuss the danger. I want him to trust me. I want to share the danger and help him, no matter how much he tries to shut me out. One way to help would be to get rid of Bruno, she opines. This time is even worse than before because Bruno knows all about Chris and is waiting for him. Knowing it’s a terrible thought, she adds, I even wish Chris had killed Bruno when Bruno captured him! Carefully turning his face from her earnest gaze, Quentin says, Don’t ever wish that. Every life he takes causes him great pain--very great pain. His own face is hollow as old and terrible memories replay themselves before his mind’s eye. Sabrina argues, Chris can’t help it--it wasn’t his fault. I know, says Quentin, his face even sadder, but believe me, the pain is still there. Profoundly moved, Sabrina comments, You have great insight. You seem to understand what other people are feeling. [Quentin has come such a great distance from the selfish rakehell of 1895!] I want you to try to understand how I feel. She says determinedly, Even though Chris has forbidden me to get involved, I feel I must. I’ve decided to go to Bruno and try to buy him off. You would do all of this? Quentin asks in amazement. I would do anything for Chris, she replies passionately. I want to marry him. Greatly upset, Quentin says, You can’t think of marriage until the curse is over. I’m sure it won’t be over unless Bruno goes away, she replies. Maybe that’s possible, Quentin allows, but we will have to talk to Bruno. Sabrina is gratified that Quentin wants to go with her. Of course, he says, you can’t go there alone. I’ll return in an hour, and then we’ll tackle Bruno together.

Bruno, meanwhile, deftly peels his third apple on the show. (The first was in 1897, the second when he kept the werewolf prisoner in the mausoleum. [The two blue side chairs that first appeared in Evan Hanley’s house in 1897 have transcended time and space to end up here. We'll see them again a long time from now.] Jeb bursts in and tells Bruno about the shadow. Bruno agrees to talk to Nicholas about Angeliquea and notes that if he fails, the young and rich and beautiful Carolyn will need a lot of consoling. Enraged, Jeb vows to beat the curse.

Carolyn has finished crying and is having an uncharacteristic afternoon drink when Maggie comes over. She congratulates Carolyn. Maggie sees that Carolyn is apathetic, but Carolyn recovers. Maggie says she's having dinner with Barnabas. Carolyn hopes that someday Maggie and Barnabas.... Maggie asks if she recommends married life. Yes, she does, Jeb answers for her as he enters the room. Maggie congratulates him and leaves, and Carolyn asks if Jeb has spoken to Nicholas. Nicholas will never help me, Jeb replies. Carolyn refuses to give in to despair, but Jeb can’t help echoing Bruno’s words: Oh Carolyn, how much longer is it going to be? How much longer is it going to be until you are a young widow? Don’t say that! she says, kissing him. But as he moves toward the window, he notes, It is beginning to get dark: I wonder how much larger the shadow will be tonight.

Meanwhile, both Maggie and Quentin note the pitchforks on their respective hands and lose all thought of keeping their respective appointments.

Quentin is half an hour late for his meeting with Sabrina. She wonders if he's changed his mind. She tries to rationalize: Even a good friend can be expected to do only so much and no more. But more has to be done, she decides. If I have to, I will deal with him alone--or not entirely alone. She opens a drawer in the dresser and takes out a revolver: This will go with me, she murmurs.

At 8:30, Quentin is an hour late. Quentin has changed his mind, Sabrina decides. She takes out a wad of bills from her purse and balances them against the revolver in her other hand. Suddenly horrorstruck, she wonders, What am I doing with my brother’s gun? I would never be able to.... Then her backbone stiffens and she finishes, Unless I must--for Chris’s sake. I am not like Quentin Collins. I can’t change my mind. She replaces everything in her bag and leaves.

At Collinwood, Quentin and Maggie are kissing madly by the fountain on the terrace. Barnabas is waiting for me, Maggie murmurs. It doesn’t matter, Quentin replies. No one matters, Maggie agrees. I’m frightened of the way I feel. Quentin comes up for air only long enough to tell her not to be before they fall to kissing again.

But in the drawing room, Jeb and Carolyn hold each other tight as they watch the still-larger shadow on the wall. Turn off the light, Jeb pleads like a scared child as he turns away. We can’t just stay in the dark, Carolyn says. That won’t save you. Jeb insists, so Carolyn turns the light off. Jeb relaxes as the shadow vanishes. Carolyn returns to his side and suggests going to Barnabas. He is no friend of mine, Jeb says. Things are different now, Carolyn pleads. Forget about Barnabas, Jeb says roughly. What about Professor Stokes? Carolyn says. It won’t do any good, Jeb insists. Carolyn’s terror makes her frantic and angry as she wonders, Why won’t you even ask him? Forget Nicholas Blair, forget Barnabas, forget Professor Stokes--are you willing to forget me too? Jeb shakes his head and holds her tight.

Bruno is putting on the unfortunate rabbit-fur coat when Sabrina arrives. What a pleasant surprise, he comments hopefully, but Sabrina is brisk and businesslike. I’m interested in only one man, she says. I’m interested in the same man, Bruno replies--when the moon is full. No doubt Sabrina thinks of Chris as she steels herself to put her hand on Bruno’s arm. Please leave Chris alone, she pleads. You’re very appealing, Bruno observes, but it’s not enough. She shows him the money and tells him, You can have all of it if you’ll leave and forget you ever heard of Chris Jennings. Your loveliness deserves an answer, Bruno replies, but his face hardens as he adds, It’s not enough. Chris Jennings is more valuable to me than a pile of money. Whoever controls him controls a source of great power, and I intend to use Chris the right way. There is no right way, Sabrina says. I’m sure you’ll kill Chris when you’re done with him. Don’t look so far into the future, Bruno says sarcastically. You might find it depressing. He hands her back the money and makes ready to leave. Wait! Sabrina says. I’m sure there’s nothing more you can say, Bruno says impatiently. Then I will let this speak for me! she says as she pulls the revolver out of her purse and aims it at him. I love Chris and I’m not going to let anyone hurt him! she declares. I am going to kill you!.........

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 10:06:25 PM »
Thanks for keeping track of apples and chairs, DL!   It's entertaining.

Carolyn has the cut out in her hand... where, how?  Quentin and Sabrina pair off unexpectedly on a side project, protecting Chris from the threat of Bruno, which is more theoretical than real.  They don't know that now that the Plan is gone, Bruno's irrelevant.  Q is sidetracked by pitchfork love.  Sabrina acts.  Sabrina's gun is Ned's...  It's safer with her.  She pulls gun on Bruno, good for her.  Her little side story leaps to center stage with a nice taking-charge-for-the-sake-of-love moment for her.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 10:41:05 PM »
Very nicely put, MT. That old pitchfork love can be a nuisance!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 12:24:09 AM »
Carolyn learns about the shadow thingy and handles it extremely well. She doesn't freak out or go to pieces and instead suggests several ways to get rid of it. Jeb shoots them all down but it's a lot more proactive than just sitting there in the dark. Despite numerous mind wipes, Carolyn still has Nicholas Blair's number and doesn't appear to be intimidated by taking the offensive with him.

Carolyn also may be the first character to remark on the relationship between Barnabas and Maggie. Do they appear that serious? Maggie is a little uncomfortable around Jeb so perhaps she retains at least some of her memories of what Jeb had tried to do with her

I was very impressed by the scene between Sabrina and Quentin. Quentin is actually trying to be the voice of reason here, which is quite an about face from his earlier volatile nature. But it's Sabrina who I am most impressed with here. This is a long way from the terrified girl in the wheelchair. She obviously loves Chris deeply and is willing to go to some great extremes to protect him. Maybe this is what she was like when Chris fell in love with her. Anyway, this Sabrina is a lot more feisty and proactive than I ever expected. [spoiler]I am genuinely sorry that we don't see this incarnation of the character after the story shifts into parallel time.[/spoiler]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 12:45:48 PM »
Uncle Roger, I entirely agree. And the scene with Quentin and his would-be great-grandaughter-in-law is one of my favorites in the entire series, along with the scene a few episodes ago with Quentin and Chris.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 03:17:54 AM »
Yes, in the middle of the baffling action that often makes little sense, with little thought put into it, a couple of characters can intersect who haven't before, and we get an interesting encounter we didn't expect, with some intelligence and depth.  I don't know why Sabrina's character seems unpopular with fans.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor