Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0864  (Read 564 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0864
« on: January 16, 2015, 05:26:10 PM »
Robservations #864

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0864

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 06:58:56 PM »
I like the strange, interesting way in which Evan talks to his new master Selbtofi, at his own grave, which he's just compliantly dug.  He's still hypontized, yet when he sees his life is imperiled, he rises out of it just barely enough to debate with Petofi for his life.  He speaks in a loud, "open-faced" way, perhaps a bit childish...?  Yet reasons his way into being allowed to live.

Charpans to Angelique: "I won't make the same mistake YOU did, luv!!"  She's enjoyably laughing her head off at Ang.  We almost see the steam pouring out Angelique's ears...  Can't remember what this was a response to, but it'll be in Dark Lady's synopsis, I'm sure.

At Tate's place-- Pansity drops by, and a thing falls from the top of his window onto the floor noisily, in one of those classic DS bloopers.  Did any other soaps allow this sort of thing, I wonder, or was it just DS?  Why does she want the most important Amanda portrait?  $5000 in 1897 money?  That's Collins money.  Neither singing nor trolloping produced that.

Evan follows through on his first "I'm useful, let me live" plan, by following Angelique to an unexpected trap door in the ground, in the woods...  Who puts a trap door in the woods, with no building?  It's at "Shipwreck(ed?) Point", which makes me wonder why there's a structure underground that connects to the ocean presumably (since we see water reflections), for boats I would guess, when it's at a spot that wrecks ships.

Pansy outs Selbtofi!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 08:42:19 PM »
I think it's sheer terror that makes Evan speak in such a childish tone of voice--I'm sure HAA does it very well. Selbtofi gives him three minutes to make his case. Talking fast, Evan says, You need someone like me, who knows your secret, someone you can trust, who can help you. I have Aristede for all of that, PQuentin points out. But he cannot appear at Collinwood, Evan argues (and it’s a good point). If you and Aristede suddenly became friends, people would wonder. You are very bright, my boy, PQuentin observes. Evan spells out his other advantages: If the family suspected something, Edward would confide in me--I’d see that he did. I’d keep you informed. Please give me a chance, he begs--there must be something you want to know. Look at your grave, PQuentin orders him cruelly--remember it! I can’t forget it, Evan replies, shuddering. Good, PQuentin says, because if you bungle this, we will meet here again! Evan hastily asks, What do you want me to do? I’m glad you’re anxious, PQuentin replies, amusing himself with Evan’s terror. There is a mystery to be solved--yes, a mystery. Her name is Angelique.

Just for you, MT, here are my notes on Angelique and Charpans's conversation: At Collinwood, Angelique is using the foyer phone to ask the operator for number 678, Coburn’s Pharmacy in town. Are you making a call? Charity/Pansy calls to her from the landing. I was just finishing, Angelique replies as she hangs up. Is the carriage waiting? C/P asks. Angelique replies sarcastically, Why don’t you walk to the door, open it and find out. C/P descends the stairs, looking nice in a somewhat low-cut royal blue dress with black lace sleeves, a hobble skirt, and a strange beige feather boa. La di dah, C/P comments sarcastically, how grand we are--considering you may never be Mrs. Quentin Collins--as I told you, luv, she finishes delightedly. Yes, Angelique replies (not bothering to hide her displeasure), you did tell me that--several times. Excuse me, she adds, starting to walk away. C/P steps around her to block her path to complain, You don’t give a girl much chance to gloat. I was the one who postponed the wedding, Angelique huffs. Was you indeed? C/P says with a grin. I have to thank you for giving the rest of us girls another chance. She adds, There will be a wedding in this house soon--but you will be sitting around and watching. If I choose to be--yes, Angelique answers coolly. C/P says, If anyone asks for me today, I’ll be shopping. I suggest you not buy your trousseau quite yet, Angelique advises. Oh, no, C/P answers brightly, I wouldn’t make the same mistake you did, luv. Then she sashays out.

ThayerQ invites Angelique to a nice dinner, but she begs off, saying she has a headache. (LOL!) After she leaves the house, Evan emerges from some bushes to follow her.

Charles Delaware Tate is still trying fruitlessly to draw, but as before the pencil falls from his nerveless fingers. He rips the page from the sketchpad and hurls it to the floor, where it joins many other discarded sheets, and pours himself a brandy, obviously not the first of the day. C/P knocks on the door and greets him cheerfully when he opens it. I figure you’re wondering what I’m doing here, she says. She twirls around to show off her frock and walks right in. After Charles shuts the door, the window shade falls with a huge crash! (Roger Davis stops to look at it, then pauses to get back into the part.) He welcomes her to the studio with a nice line: Welcome to the Tate studio--filled with paintings by the late Charles Delaware Tate. She announces that she's come to buy a painting.  I have a surprise for you, she announces--I want to buy a painting. I’m sure you’re kidding, he blurts out in surprise. Insulted, C/P says, I take it you mean I’m not good enough. You’re better than most, he assures her. Take anything you want--sinners, saints, ladies, not quite ladies--but you have to pay for it. As she starts to look through a stack of paintings, he asks, How are you going to pick? Oh, I have got a way, she assures him. Yes, he says dryly, I’ll bet you do. C/P laughs, You naughty boy. She finds the portrait of Amanda, but Charles announces that that isn't for sale.
You told me everything was, C/P complains. Apprehensive and angry, Charles asks, Why do you want that? I like it, C/P says. Quentin sent you here, didn’t he? Charles asks resentfully. Do you think I would buy this for Quentin, feeling about him the way I do? she retorts. Charles nominates Trask, but C/P says disdainfully, That old crow? Then who was it? Charles demands as he takes her by the shoulders and turns her to face him. You ain’t very nice, C/P comments, adding, I didn’t like Amanda Harris, but somehow I find the painting--sort of restful. Charles drains his glass thoughtfully. You promised to sell me anything I want, C/P reminds him. Will you or won’t you? It doesn’t make sense, Charles says. What are the paintings for? C/P asks crossly. Do you sell them or argue with people what wants to buy them? All right, Charles says, but the painting will cost two-- five thousand dollars. He laughs at her shock and takes another drink, but then it’s his turn to be stunned when she calmly hands him five thousand-dollar bills. Where did you get it? he asks, even ask he reaches for it. I didn’t ask you where you got your talent, she says, pulling her hand away from his. She shows him the five bills and asks, Do you ask others how they’re going to pay your price? What’s so peculiar about me? [LOL!] In any case, the money ain’t stolen. Wrap the painting, please.

MT, I added my notes because that was such a fun scene, with NB once more making us warm to Pansity. I actually just remembered how and why Pansity has the money--and no, it's not from singing or trolloping--but I won't spoil your fun when you find out.  [snow_smiley]

I love love love the underground sea cave at Shipwreck Point. Evan finds himself in an underground sea cave that has been made into a boat landing with wooden finger piers, at least one mooring cleat and an iron ring in the cave wall. All around him is the sound of running, dripping water. He seems to have heard something, because he crouches down and calls out, Who’s there? But he gets no reply. [The set has real water!] He returns to Collinwood to report to Selbtofi, who orders him to return by 10:00 p.m.

I suspect Shipwreck Point got its name because the sea cave originally was used by smugglers (maybe even some Collinses among them) who wanted to discourage outsiders from finding their hideout.

Selbtofi confronts Angelique about her errands and accuses her of seeing another man. Apparently he is far enough off the mark that Angelique--after showing real fear--laughs, flattered. Why, Quentin, she says, how could there be another man? It takes all of my time and effort just dealing with you! I'm flattered that you would even care. Why, darling, that is not true. Come now, let's forget all about my headache. Let's go in and talk about pleasant things. Tucking her arm in his, she leads the way into the drawing room.

We know that Selbtofi enjoys tormenting his minions, but why is he so insistent that Evan return by 10:00 p.m., and so anxious that he actually goes to Shipwreck Point himself, where he finds Evan recovering from being knocked out by-- well, somebody.

Miss Trask, Angelique says--and I am going to call you that. I don’t understand why, C/P says, annoyed. Angelique tells her huffily, We’ve wasted enough time discussing Quentin. He’s still my fiancé, and we spent the entire evening together. C/P starts laughing all over again as she says, That don’t mean a thing, luv, that don’t mean a thing! A moment later, to Angelique’s surprise, PQuentin returns. I hope your business went well, Angelique says. I won’t know until later, he says brusquely. Excuse me--I have another appointment early in the morning. Of course, darling, Angelique says. She pointedly holds his lapels and kisses him goodnight (on the cheek) before he goes upstairs. She turns toward C/P triumphantly, but C/P looks upset. To Angelique’s shock, she declares, It ain’t him! That man ain’t Quentin Collins!....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 05:47:43 AM »
Thanks for all the extra notes DL... I wanted to see more of the sea cave, and I guess I got more, and just missed it.  Maybe it was a bit dark and I couldn't discern it all.  It's a kind of place I didn't know anything about, so thanks for all that data too...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 06:34:36 PM »
Any time, MT! All these little mysteries will be solved. I know I found the solutions very satisfactory, and I'm sure you will too.  [snow_smiley]