Author Topic: FULL Burbank Fest re-cap - Frid falls on stage Sunday!  (Read 20489 times)

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
Re: FULL Burbank Fest re-cap - Frid falls on stage Sunday!
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2008, 02:56:14 AM »
I recently heard JF's statement about GH.  I listened to it over and over while dictating his words.  I want to shed light on this subject so others can read what he said about his co-star, the lovely Grayson Hall:

"I had a lot of fun with her. She was a great person to work with, I believe. But I always felt it was over... I was bad enough at times [laughter], but overacting ... but I think there was something a little too much of it, but however every once in a while like everybody on this show... it's a great thing about these soaps I guess, you have a chance to do something at least once or twice or three or four times out of the time you're on the show.  We all had good moments and we all had bad moments and in between. But with all due respect she was ... I liked her and I liked being with her ... but she was, I thought at times, a bit much.  Although that scene right there [NOTE: we saw the scene of Stokes, Barnabas and Julia doing a seance] she was quit good. I shouldn't even be talking like this about her.  I have great respect for her."

I thought JF was very gracious in his sharing his POV with the audience.  It allows us to get to know the person, like the other actors being themselves and having fun on stage sharing a piece of themselves.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2008, 04:15:35 AM »
THANKS!! :0)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2008, 04:16:23 AM »
My recollection of what was said about Lincoln and the current race is that David Selby was discussing a scene in the later chapters of his book in which Lincoln and Charles are drinking beer in a cafe, and the former gets to the subject of when things are going to get better.  At this point, Selby made the comment that one "could make a very good case from Abraham Lincoln for Barack Obama," and it's at this point that he also brings up his respect for John McCain.  I can't say I recall any presumption that Lincoln (a Republican) would support either candidate.

During his long and successful career, the late Johnny Carson never publicly endorsed or campaigned for any presidential candidate (even though Mr. Carson was a lifelong Democrat).  The late, great James Cagney (one of Hollywood's so-called "closet conservatives") was a lifelong, close friend of former U.S. President Richard M. Nixon.  Beloved comedian Bob Newhart is a close friend of U.S. Sen. Patrick Leahy.   I think that it is extremely admirable that these three very talented men possessed the class and the wisdom not to bore everyone else to tears with their own respective political viewpoints and preferences.  Besides, you just end up alienating half of your paying audience if you do.

Bruce Springsteen, Julia Roberts and George Clooney (along with , perhaps, David Selby?) would be advised to take a page out of the book of Messrs. Carson, Cagney and Newhart, imho.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »
I'm grateful to see the "flaws" in guests as well as strengths, if stumping for candidates is a flaw.

I'm glad to get the context for Mr. Frid's GH remarks... thanks.  He was bending over backwards to express respect even as he was trying to be honest about a colleague's possible minor occasional shortcomings, and it pained him that he'd even broached the subject.    He may have felt a responsibility to speak a little bit of truth as he saw it, since he was being paid to be there and talk about DS.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2008, 08:34:23 AM »
there is an excellent photo montage of the festival posted on youtube. www.youtube.com/user/swfan007

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2008, 08:52:47 AM »
Quote from: joe integlia
there is an excellent photo montage of the festival posted on youtube.

Whoa, very nice!  Thanks, Joe.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2008, 03:22:07 PM »
Thanks, Joe, for your report about Darren's panel.

Just how many technical glitches can one DS Festival have, anyway?  Were they trying to recapture the spirit of a particularly blooper-laden episode?

I keep thinking of people switching mics in front of Lara and the expression on her face... it must have been choice.

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
I keep thinking of people switching mics in front of Lara and the expression on her face... it must have been choice.

Apparently it was only adjusted, but it riled her nonetheless.  I'd suggest it was because she was in character but I know better.

A microphone did fall during the script reading, I think because Roger Davis got a little too animated.  And don't get me started about his ad libs.

It's a shame, really, that this Reader's Theatre wasn't treated more seriously by all the actors, Robert Rodan's and Marie Wallace's performances aside.  The Fest managed to assemble the entire cast of this discarded script; who knows if they'll be able to accomplish that again?  This could have been a real gem.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2008, 05:00:16 PM »
there is an excellent photo montage of the festival posted on youtube.

Thanks so much for providing the link, joe. It's a beautiful montage.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2008, 05:17:55 PM »
Nice montage.  Nice to see Bob Cobert looking so fit and in such a great mood!

G.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
OMG! THAT IS WICKED!!!!!!!!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2008, 08:23:05 PM »
While I am still not sure about that Willie freeing Barnabas from the coffin bit at the Fest Saturday, one thing great about it was that it gave the fans the great chance to see the two Jo(h)ns together on the stage again.  I also  think it was great that JF and JK had dinner with David Selby and Lara at KLS's house--to be a fly on the wall during that dinner (or a bat???).  It sounds like poor John Karlen had had a bad time having had a close friend just die, etc, so I am sure it cheered him to be able to see Jonathan again last weekend after so many years, that wonderful hug between the two of them after the coffin skit said it all!!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2008, 09:25:07 PM »
You read my mind MIRANDA.  I would have loved to have had a microphone hidden in her house :) Of course on the other end of the spectrum it may have change our view or preception of some of them. So maybe not!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2008, 10:39:31 PM »
Everything that I had read about Selby's appearance at the fest said that he would be doing a reading from his book "Lincoln's Better Angel". This being an election year and Lincoln being who he was I don't know why anyone wouldn't expect politics to get in that. When you add to that the fact that Obama is black I would have been extremely susprised had his name not come up.

I'm not going to get into who I want to win the election, but I don't mind others, stars or not, giving their opinion.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2008, 01:32:53 AM »
While I am still not sure about that Willie freeing Barnabas from the coffin bit at the Fest Saturday, one thing great about it was that it gave the fans the great chance to see the two Jo(h)ns together on the stage again.  I also  think it was great that JF and JK had dinner with David Selby and Lara at KLS's house--to be a fly on the wall during that dinner (or a bat???).  It sounds like poor John Karlen had had a bad time having had a close friend just die, etc, so I am sure it cheered him to be able to see Jonathan again last weekend after so many years, that wonderful hug between the two of them after the coffin skit said it all!!

No kidding. I am dying to hear about it and will call Old Man Karlen to get the scoop. Poor John. He reminds me so much of my pop, who in later years, declared that all of his friends were dropping dead around him. Every time we meet up with JK, he has some near and dear friend dying. Not a very positive attitude. But JK does walk the Malibu Beach every morning, lunches with old pals, and in general has a good time.
My girl, Niki, had a cement plaque dedicated to JK at her college here in Aiken, commererating his service in the Korean War. When John saw that, he was touched, to say the least.
I'm pleased to see that Wilie is still one of the best loved characters  - Mine and Niki's, of course, and so is Pop Karlen.
And if you told me years and years and years ago, when I was seven, that I would be hiking through the cemetary in Tarrytown with my favorite DS actor, I sure as hell wouldn't have believed you. I will never, in all my born ding dang days, ever forget that wonderful Saturday when the old man called me a hillbilly because I put ketchup on my scrambled eggs. And that, my dear freinds, is my happy JK moment.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.