Author Topic: FULL Burbank Fest re-cap - Frid falls on stage Sunday!  (Read 20500 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: FULL Burbank Fest re-cap - Frid falls on stage Sunday!
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 03:05:50 AM »
Frid is one of the few DS actors who doesn't criticize his colleagues in public.  He considers it rude.  He certainly had his likes and dislikes as anyone would but unlike let's say Lara Parker and even KLS at times, he doesn't make fun of them.  He was hesitant to even say what little he did about GH and, again, that is a frequent criticism by other actors.  She was an intense actress and sometimes that leads to overacting.  Sometimes.  But the chemistry between GH and JF throughout the series was part of what made the series hum.

Nancy 

I have never heard the interview SO I cannot really comment on it.   I wish just upset because people were saying he dissed GH personally.  I didn't mind that he didn't like her acting style fine.  One poster though made it seem he was saying he didn't like "HER".  Its just misunderstandings and some people's interpretation of what he said at the fest. I aplogize for jumping to conclusions!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 03:09:59 AM »
....she referred to JF as "a dumb actor."  I don't consider that flattering though I think that had more to do with her not understanding why he did not capitalize on his fame the way other actors would have.

Maybe she was joking that actors in general were a bit dumb, including herself perhaps, about taking advantage of opportunities.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 03:47:56 AM »
We can't really speculate what anyone thinks, or what was their intentions. You also
have to wonder what some articles would say.

Without hearing the audio tapes I can't say what Grayson  said.

Jonathan meant no disrespect. Just think he was talking about how he went up on his
lines with the sceen when he finds out Josette marries Jerrimiah.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

David

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 04:12:28 AM »
Let's start with Friday.
Low points - ... The second low point was "Adam and Eve together again" - mostly because they weren't.  Rodan pulled a no-show.  He did show on Saturday and Sunday but offered no apology or explanation for his failure to fulfill his Friday commitment.  Marie Wallace looked great and had not changed (even her clothes) from the Tarrytown fest.
Mid Point - KLS and Lara were on stage together viewing clips of their time as Josette and Angelique.  Nothing new here, they both went through the same talking points as last year, the same as the last 25 years.  This past year has not been overly kind to either of the ladies, especially KLS.  She looked as though she aged 10 years in the last 11 months.  Don't get me wrong.  They are both still very beautiful but as amazed as I was last year at how young they both still looked, they both definitely had that "Grandma" look this year.  Also, Lara refused to do her laugh this year.

Saturday
Low points - David Selby.  So many of us were incredibly offended that he turned the DS fest into a political rally.  He effectively alienated over half the attendees with that crap, whether they supported the candidate his was shilling for or not.  It was in incredibly poor taste.  If you want to have a political rally David, fine.  Just tell people what you are doing beforehand.  Over half the attendees were sitting on their hands while a few were up "rapping" the Gettysburg Address.   [ghost_rolleyes]  I know Abe was looking to change his address after that fiasco.

First of all, it's OK to disagree with Selby's politics.
Be that as it may, hearing Selby's politics~~or Chris Pennock's homeless advocacy~~is far more intersting than hearing the same DS anecdotes again & again.
Both men gave us more insight into who they really are as people.

RE: Kathryn & Lara: both women are in their mid 60s & look incredible.

This implies that Marie is not a clean person, and that's clearly not the case.

David

(edited by admin)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2008, 05:36:13 AM »
I very much enjoyed your detailed and personalized account of the weekend, KajunDC.  Much more than a rote list of events, your personal opinions and insights almost made me feel like I was there. If I had been one of the estimated half of those in attendance who had never been to a fest before, I would have felt a bit cheated, not to mention condescended to, if Selby spent the time that I had paid for stumping for a political candidate. And it's nice to know that Marie Wallace's beautiful face and unique style of dress remains unchanged, she is one of kindest people I've ever met. Be sure to post any more remembrances from the fest that you may have forgotten in your earlier post [happy11]
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2008, 06:05:17 AM »
another picture to share.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 06:08:31 AM »
Thanks JOE.  I am glad to see JK has spunk and has lost weight.  It will only make him feel better and lead a healthier life. :)   That is not to alienate anyone.  I myself lost about 50 pounds last summer and it was hell...but it was worth it!!  I feel better all around.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2008, 06:16:56 AM »
congrats on your weight loss and karlen looked great. heres another shot that shows it more.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2008, 07:34:52 AM »
ON Lara Parker and KLS age.  I saw pics of both women and I thought they looked great this year.  Yep they have aged.  So have I.  I am aging as I am typing this comment.  It's gonna happen to us all.  But life goes on until we are aged away.........Unless your a vampire of course [ghost_cheesy]

Also I love Lara Parker and did a zine devoted to her so I am not trying to point out her age for meanness.  If IMDB is true she looks amazing for her age.   Her IMDB says she was born in 1937.  That would actually make her 71 this year.  No wonder I love LP.  If IMDB is true she was born the 27Th of Oct. and that makes her a  Scorpio like me. I was born the 26Th.  I have never met a Scorpio I didn't like.  Also KLS on IMDB is listed as 1945 which would make her 63 this past January.  Does anyone know if these dates are correct?? Or have they done the GH thing and "tinkered" with there age?  [ghost_wink]

Tanks!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2008, 08:49:59 AM »
here see how great they look.....

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2008, 10:15:50 AM »
They look great.  I am not overtly fond of "older" women with really really blonde hair like Kathryn's but its her hair not mine I just think on "older" women it makes them look washed out. I like her best with dark hair or a more honey blond would be nicer.   IMHO!  Nonetheless thanks for the great pic :)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2008, 12:59:17 PM »
heres 1 of my pics from digital camera. i still need to get 35mm developed.

What's Old Man Selby doing, taking a nap?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2008, 02:41:23 PM »
I believe he is just looking down.  I think he looks handsome :)

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2008, 05:06:14 PM »
I have to agree with those who said that Frid's comment about GH wasn't nasty or disrespectful at all. He was, as always, a gentleman.

I had a wonderful time, all around, at this year's festival, but for me, the lowest point was the banquet food. No, we know it's never a great meal, but I easily could have done the rubber chicken thing instead of that awful veggie lasagna. It was as if someone used Elmer's Glue to keep it all together. I didn't eat it, but two of my roommates who did got sick from it -- eeeewwww! And no cheesecake? Hey, that gave AngeliqueWins and I nothing to stake, as was mentioned! Darn! A tradition we had to forego until next year.

The only other comment I have concerning Frid was, I didn't feel he was well-served by those who should have been looking out for him. Last year, when Nancy was there, she was unbelievably attentive and made sure he was taken care of well. I didn't get that sense at all this year. In fact, I saw him wandering around by himself several times. That's fine for the younger actors, but for him, it had to be a bit annoying to have to deal with some overzealous fans who wouldn't give him his space. That's just my opinion, of course, but it made me kind of angry to see that happen to him.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2008, 05:27:49 PM »
Also I love Lara Parker and did a zine devoted to her so I am not trying to point out her age for meanness.  If IMDB is true she looks amazing for her age.   Her IMDB says she was born in 1937.  That would actually make her 71 this year.  No wonder I love LP.

Well LP's college roommate at Vassar was Jane Fonda. .you do the math.
Julia99