Author Topic: Saturday's Fest Highlight  (Read 5323 times)

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
Saturday's Fest Highlight
« on: July 20, 2008, 04:14:11 AM »
I just got home from today's fest. The highlight of the show was how they introduced Jonathan Frid. There was a black curtain onstage. They had a candleabra on stage. John Karlen came out in character as Willie and was talking out loud to himself  about getting rich. He pulled back the curtain to reveal...a chained coffin!!! He took of the chains and opened the lid and guess who's hand extended from within and choked Willie? Yes, it was Barnabas himself--Jonathan Frid!!!

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday's Fest Highlight
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 04:24:44 AM »
For the next hour, Jonathan did a presentation on the evolution of Barnabas. He showed select clips of Barnabas' early days, his first meeting with Maggie in coffee shop, his chat with Burke at the Blue Whale, his confrontation with Josette and Burke after they eloped, etc. Jonathan would read fromhis  notes before each scene to mention things he had observed about his performance or why he reacted a certain way. It was great seeing him in person again after so many years. He appeared flustered at times, but he was adorable and the audience just ate it up. I'll post more later. I'm getting sleepy.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 04:26:03 AM »
O M G!  That had to be the freakin' deal. : )  I would have love to have seen that.  I am soooo glad Frid is back at the DS Festivials.  Does anyone film these Festivials and sell them.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 05:48:40 AM »
Some more random thoughts as I think of them:

Auction: They had a lot of Dan Curtis' personal memoribilla from his office up for bid. His framed House of DS sold the most for approx. $400 or 500. Dan's personal Herman Woulk novel signed by the authour went for about $75. There was also a complete set of Dark Shadows sealed videotapes that  went for about $300 or 400. Can't remember exact price but those  items, but they were the most expensive ones that stand out. They also had a bust of 1991 Barnabas Ben Cross. There will be another auction on Sun.

Cast Reunion: Roger Davis mentioned that he had a heart bypass surgery a few months ago. He had lost a lot of weight and appeared guant. His disease was herditary and his borther had died of the same heart disease so lucky they operated in time. He just sold some property for $7 millioro

Jonathan Frid did not attend the cast reunion. (was on break)

More later...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 05:52:27 AM »
Well I hate to hear about Roger Davis.  I wasn't a fan of most of his characters, alas I wish him no harm.  I hope he heals well and is able to enjoy a long healthy life.  Thanks for the update!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 09:08:50 AM »
I imagine there are legal problems with selling video from cons, or else I'd have a few by now.   Still I want them badly.    Sounds like JF has jumped back into this with both feet, which is great!    I wonder if this board might have convinced him that fans are more respectful than he may have thought for awhile, when he was afraid fandom had perhaps become dominated by blooper mockers who laughed at DS as just being camp or something.

It sounds as if he's saying substantive things about acting, maybe, which I'd love to hear.

As for Roger Davis, I think I'm off the jokes at his expense until I hear something encouraging.    Just a personal choice, I'm not guilting anyone here.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 09:23:40 AM »
The only thing that turns me off is he told the audience he just sold 7 million dollars worth of property.  If that is what he made.  To me that is really tacky to say to fans.  Many fans who will work their asses off all there lives and will never get that much.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 11:48:34 AM »
You forget that Roger's been in the real estate business for years now and has made a killing at it.  If he made such a profit recently after surving open heart surgery, he has a right to shout out the news!

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 12:21:12 PM »
What an awesome introduction for Jonathan Frid. They did it well this year! Wish I could have been there.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 01:41:19 PM »
Sounds like it was fun.

I'm cutting out my RD jokes temporarily, as well.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 01:42:38 PM »
More thoughts:

David Selby's "Lincoln's Better Angel": Another grand entrance: David came out from the back of the room and walked down the ailse toward the stage shouting, "Quentin for President!!!" and threw confetti from his pocket much to the delight of the audience.

He talked about the similar goals between Abe Lincoln and Obama. He likes the fact that Obama offers hope and change. Said he will probably vote for Obama. Had the audience repeat the Gettysburg address after him in a sort of rap-style. he reminded me of a preacher in a Southern Baptist church. He tried to rally up the audience.

Cast Reunion: Kathryn just got back from New York. Said she's reached that stage in her career where she's doing commercials for osteoporosis.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 02:50:52 PM »
At least it isn't Depends or Polident!  Besides, having seen her a few weeks ago in Manhattan, she's looking great as always.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 02:58:03 PM »
Cast Reunion: Kathryn just got back from New York. Said she's reached that stage in her career where she's doing commercials for osteoporosis.

And Jamie Leigh Curtis is doing commercials for yogurt that helps with our generation's - um - "intestinal situations."  Wasn't it just yesterday that she was a frightened teenager running from the maniacal Michael Meyers?  Where did the time go?

Well, anyway, the Fest sounds like it's just marvelous!  Hopefully more of us will be able to attend future ones.  To identify each other, we can write "DS Forums Member" (in easy-to-read print) on our walkers and maybe have our own Geritol, I mean, cocktail hour.

Gerard

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 04:01:25 PM »
the highlight with Frid + Karlen and the coffin is on my youtube page! www.youtube.com/user/jayteevideo

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 04:15:07 PM »
At least it isn't Depends or Polident!

True.  [ghost_wink]  And she's one of the lucky ones to even still have a career because so few others in her similar "stage" do. And, hey, osteoporosis ads haven't exactly hurt Sally Field's career.  [ghost_grin]