Author Topic: Any news/gossip from Burbank yet?  (Read 8704 times)

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
Re: Any news/gossip from Burbank yet?
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2008, 07:04:22 PM »
OK. Two DS actresses who have been very good friends for years are at completely opposite ends of the political spectrum.

At the risk of appearing deliberately obtuse, I must say that your comment piqued my curiousity, MB. You aren't by any chance talking about two actresses who onscreen shared a mistress and servant relationship, are you? And if so, do their political views correspond somewhat to those roles?
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2008, 08:39:04 PM »
I just watched most of the Selby bit on YouTube.

The opening bit where he discussed what positions the DS characters would be appointed to was admittedly funny.

The Obama endorsement was disgusting. Using the Lincoln discussion as a jumping-off point for getting on his soapbox was uncalled for, and I would have thought David Selby would have more dignity than that. There is a time and a place for discussing one's political views, and that was not it. If he had been asked who he was supporting at a Q&A session, that would be fine, but going from discussing the Lincoln project to "VOTE OBAMA!" was ridiculous.

The rapping the Gettysburg address just seemed really strained, especially when he started snapping his fingers.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline *starshine*

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
    • norwegiangal
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2008, 01:42:49 AM »
Thank you so much for posting the David Selby segment on youtube.  I absolutely loved it!  Whether I agree about Obama or not, the fact that he is so passionate about it shows alot about his character.  Not embarrassing at all- I think as one other said, it shows another side of David Selby.  He truly is a remarkable person.  I am glad that he shares so much with his fans.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2008, 01:58:37 AM »
Give the guy a break! For chrissake, Selby wasn't scheduled to attend the Fest and then magically appeared. Kudos to Mr. Selby, I say.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2008, 05:24:14 AM »
The Obama endorsement was disgusting. Using the Lincoln discussion as a jumping-off point for getting on his soapbox was uncalled for, and I would have thought David Selby would have more dignity than that.

Less dignified than, say, his entrance?  Just kidding.  ;)

What you don't see on YouTube is that Selby next began the book discussion by painting a picture of the political climate of the era in which he first took on the role of Quentin-- the disillusionment and topsy turviness, the calls for change and unrest of a wartime that were not unlike current times.  His words hit home, I'm sure, for many in the audience.  He also stressed the importance of education then and now.  He performed "Lincoln's Better Angel," btw, as a play ("Lincoln and James") at the '97 Fest; it's a story about racism, the impact of war, mistrust and, eventually, of hope that is told in part through conversations between a proud black Viet Nam vet named Charles and the title President (who served in the Illinois House; Selby also pointed out that Chicago [Obama's home] was Lincoln's favorite city).  I purchased the book on Saturday (one of the last few copies; they apparently sold well) and I imagine that had he not brought up the Presidential campaign on stage, I probably would have made the comparisons between it and the characters' questions on my own, perhaps even wondering how Lincoln and Charles would be affected by current events.  But anyway,  I think it's difficult to capture the sentiment of Selby's talk without having been there to see it, but I will say that the brief references to Obama and segues between his story and modern political issues seemed seamless and quite dignified.

There is a time and a place for discussing one's political views, and that was not it.

In previous discussions about her books, Diana Millay has revealed that she practices Wicca.  Lara Parker has often talked about returning to school to study writing.  Roger Davis showed festival attendees a video for his real estate development project.  If there's a rule about actors not talking about their personal interests during Festivals, I doubt that many of them know about it.

If he had been asked who he was supporting at a Q&A session, that would be fine, but going from discussing the Lincoln project to "VOTE OBAMA!" was ridiculous.

What he said was, "I have the greatest respect for McCain" but "I will probably vote for Barack Obama."

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2008, 05:46:28 AM »
What he said was, "I have the greatest respect for McCain" but "I will probably vote for Barack Obama."

But anyway,  I think it's difficult to capture the sentiment of Selby's talk without having been there to see it, but I will say that the brief references to Obama and segues between his story and modern political issues seemed seamless and quite dignified.

Hmm, that doesn't sound too bad. You're right, those of us that didn't make it will just have to piece together a sort of imaginary picture of how the fest was from the thoughts of those that were there  [ghost_smiley]
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
The Obama endorsement was disgusting.

"Disgusting" is a pretty strong word, Goober.... a serious performance of "Springtime For Hitler", that would be disgusting.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2008, 11:01:10 PM »
Eh, "disgusting" was a bit harsh, I admit. And I never said he was disrespecting McCain; but really, how could comparing Obama to a someone like Abraham Lincoln be anything but an outright endorsement? I don't want to discuss the subject any more, though, as I don't want this to turn into a flame war.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2008, 11:37:15 PM »
Eh, "disgusting" was a bit harsh, I admit. And I never said he was disrespecting McCain; but really, how could comparing Obama to a someone like Abraham Lincoln be anything but an outright endorsement? I don't want to discuss the subject any more, though, as I don't want this to turn into a flame war.

Not to go down a tortuous road but uh. .both Obama and Lincoln were in the Illinois legislator for 3+ terms, lawyers advocating progressive ideas, people dismissing them as not ready for national office--ya know stuff like that.  I can see how someone might compare the two.
Julia99

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2008, 11:44:38 PM »

Was this seriously the entirety of what Selby said about Obama/McCain? If so, I would say this issue got blown out of proportion the slightest bit. To a McCain supporter, "annoying" might be a more appropriate word ... I don't know about "disgusting" ...
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2008, 02:40:12 AM »
There were 3 separate mentions of Obama.  A search of my recent posts for his name ought to bring up each in different places.

In addition to the McCain comment, there was 1 Bill Clinton quote, at least 2 mentions of MLK, and 1 each of Robert Kennedy, Phil Ochs, Janis Joplin, Neil Young, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Anne Sexton and Yvonne DeCarlo.  Several DS actors came up as well as his friend Rafer Johnson, and a lot of Errol Flynn.  [ghost_grin]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2008, 09:18:29 AM »
Selby giving detailed, substantive remarks... good for him!   How'd he squeeze all that in?   I keep meaning to learn more about Phil Ochs...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2008, 03:18:46 PM »
It just reminds me of the time years ago when David Selby and another actor performed a play David had written about Lincoln coming to life in the Lincoln Memorial and having a lengthy conversation with a black janirtor in the present day.  I found the play fascinating but it was performed in the main Festival hall and it was difficult to concentrate because so many DS fans with no interest in anything not related to DS or old TV shows were constantly running in and out of the theatre.

Still, I got from it a memory I will always cherish.  And I learned just how deep the amazing David Selby's integrity runs.  Not to mention his reservoirs of patience.

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2008, 11:17:02 PM »
Well he ( Selby) could come in dressed like Little Bo Peep and I'd be thrilled. 

LOLOLOL Teresalite.....very good!!

and a lot of Errol Flynn.  [ghost_grin]

Okay Midnite...you've piqued my interest....what did DS say about Errol Flynn?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2008, 01:43:16 AM »
I think I am posting in the correct discussion so forgive me if not. What did Prof.Stokes do this year in the gala? I saw something mentioned a few post back and cannot find the answer. Also is the gala on youtube?
Teresa ( still feeling sad about missing the fest this year) [ghost_sad]
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"