Author Topic: "Josette's Theme" on Ryan's Hope  (Read 1188 times)

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
"Josette's Theme" on Ryan's Hope
« on: July 09, 2003, 10:37:35 PM »
I was watching episode 108 of Ryan's Hope (originally aired on December 4, 1975) on SoapNet today at noon, when towards the end of it I heard a familiar music box tune - "Josette's Theme"!

In the scene, Delia Reid Ryan (played by Ilene Kristen) was talking to Nick Szabo (played by Michael Fairman) in his office. She was admiring his things, since her family isn't that wealthy, when she noticed a music box. He told her to open it, and she was delighted by the tune, which was "Josette's Theme." Below are two screen captures of the scene (with the music box) and a small transcript of the few lines concerning the tune.

Nick: Go on, open it.
[Nick opens the music box. "Josette's Theme" begins playing.]
Delia: Oh! Oh my. It's lovely.
Nick: You like it?
Delia: Yes.
Nick: It's your's.
Delia: Oh, no, no, no, no. I couldn't.
Nick: It would give me great pleasure if you had it.
Delia: Uh, Frank wouldn't like that.
Nick: I understand. I'll keep it here and you can pick it up any time you like.

At this point, the show has some crew members that were also part of the Dark Shadows crew - Robert Costello (producer), Lela Swift (director), Sy Tomashoff (production designer), and Sybil Weinberger (music supervisor). In 1976, it also had two DS cast members - Nancy Barrett and Donna Wandrey.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:"Josette's Theme" on Ryan's Hope
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 11:04:29 PM »
At this point, the show has some crew members that were also part of the Dark Shadows crew - Robert Costello (producer), Lela Swift (director), Sy Tomashoff (production designer), and Sybil Weinberger (music supervisor). In 1976, it also had two DS cast members - Nancy Barrett and Donna Wandrey.

And something that makes the DS connection even stronger is that RH was produced in the same studio that DS was at 433 W. 53rd street. I've always wondered how the members of the DS crew and cast felt being back in the same studio but working on a show that was so very different from DS - particulaly on those days when portions of the DS sets were used as RH sets...

IB [diablo]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2003, 08:26:52 PM »
I GOTTA ask, and I watched the first few years of RH; is Delia there the woman who is Roxanne on One Life To Live?

Patti
What a Woman!

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2003, 04:21:44 AM »
I GOTTA ask, and I watched the first few years of RH; is Delia there the woman who is Roxanne on One Life To Live?

Yep. They are both played by the same person - Ilene Kristen.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2003, 04:36:16 AM »

Yep. They are both played by the same person - Ilene Kristen.

Speaking of Delia Reid Ryan Ryan Coleridge Crane Coleridge - OK, I remember she was married to Frank Ryan, then Pat Ryan, then Roger Coleridge. I don't even remember the Crane (was that when Ilene Kristen had left and Delia was played by ... was it Robin Mattson ... no, it was some blond actress who did the whole "King Kong" story, right?). And then Delia remarried Roger. And Ilene came back somewhere in there...

One the storylines I really liked on RH was the one with Egyptologist Ari Benedict-White (Gordon Thompson, later of Dynasty and Santa Barbara) and the mummy. It sort of made up for the fact that DS had never done an Egyptian storyline (Laura doesn't really count). Unfortunately, though, that storyline wasn't very popular with most viewers and got cut short prematurely. :( But at least they had the good sense to keep Felicity LaFortune around.

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 06:11:55 AM »
Speaking of Delia Reid Ryan Ryan Coleridge Crane Coleridge - OK, I remember she was married to Frank Ryan, then Pat Ryan, then Roger Coleridge. I don't even remember the Crane (was that when Ilene Kristen had left and Delia was played by ... was it Robin Mattson ... no, it was some blond actress who did the whole "King Kong" story, right?). And then Delia remarried Roger. And Ilene came back somewhere in there...

The 'Crane' came from when she married Matthew Crane in 1984. She was played by Robin Mattson at the time. He didn't last very long. I remember reading he had a heart condition, and Delia forgot to give him his medication. He lived, but their marriage eventually died.

Ilene Kristen played Delia from 1975-1979, Robyn Millan played Delia for a short time in 1979, and then Randall Edwards played the role from 1979 through 1982 (during the 'King Kong' plot). Ilene Kristen returned to the role in 1982 and left in 1983, and then Robin Mattson played Delia in 1984. Ilene Kristen returned to the role in 1986 and stayed with the show until it's last episode.

One the storylines I really liked on RH was the one with Egyptologist Ari Benedict-White (Gordon Thompson, later of Dynasty and Santa Barbara) and the mummy. It sort of made up for the fact that DS had never done an Egyptian storyline (Laura doesn't really count).

I liked the Egyptian plot and I thought it was interesting. Unfortunately, SoapNet decided to go back to the first episode in the middle of the storyline. *sighs* It was one of the first storylines on the show I saw - I got SoapNet in February of this year, and since then I've enjoyed watching it and reading about it.