Author Topic: Hate to burst DC's bubble but  (Read 3442 times)

IluvBarnabas

Hate to burst DC's bubble but
« on: February 03, 2007, 07:06:12 PM »
On the Joel Crothers thread, someone said Dan in an interview in one of the DC's sets, preferred to cast "on type" and that's why he refused to have Alexandra play anyone BUT the virturous Vicki Winters. And this also may have contributed to Joel not being cast as Quentin.

Well I would like to know is did Dan develop amnesia or something, because Joel already played against type as Nathan Forbes, who was as dishonest and manipulative as Joe was honest and loving. Joe and Nathan were two different types of characters, definitely not "the same type" by any means, a fact Dan seemed to have convienently forgot.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Hate to burst DC's bubble but
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 07:33:31 PM »
I've read in several places that the casting of Quentin had to do with Jonathan Frid's desire that there be a second leading man to take the pressure off him since he was getting so much fan mail. If Joel Crothers was going to be that second man he would already have been so, since he was on the show from the beginning.

Don Briscoe might have been the second leading man since he really was cute, but it wasn't until they hired David Selby that it really worked out. I don't know why either Joel or Don didn't work out as second leading man, they are both handsome. But IMO David Selby as Quentin is drop dead gorgeous.

Alondra

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 08:16:43 PM »
I've read in several places that the casting of Quentin had to do with Jonathan Frid's desire that there be a second leading man to take the pressure off him since he was getting so much fan mail.

but it wasn't until they hired David Selby that it really worked out. I don't know why either Joel or Don didn't work out as second leading man, they are both handsome. But IMO David Selby as Quentin is drop dead gorgeous.

I can't imagine how John did with all the time on the show and promtional gigs all the time.  David was gorgeous, I bet he liked not haveing to learn lines for months.

Dan Curtis still used John as a mainstay though I think he knew where his bread was buttered.  Most of the promo was still Barn.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 08:19:23 PM »
Yes and that will always be so. I think most people when they hear Dark Shadows think Barnabas Collins Vampire.

Alondra

Offline Evan Hanley

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 07:08:40 PM »
My only complaint with dan curtis is that he didnt use humbert allen astredo and don briscoe enough. both brillent actors and dont get the credit they deserve, especially humbert!!

Evan

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 07:34:33 PM »
By the time David Selby was cast, wasn't Joel Crothers already on another soap? I believe it was "Guiding Light." In any event, I hated how they wrapped up his stint on the show. That whole thing about him [spoiler]losing his mind and being sent to Windcliff[/spoiler] was very lame!

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 07:57:18 PM »
People were always going off the Wyndcliff when they needed to go or take a break. Roger would be off on Business. Barn would be locked in his coffin. Others just disappeared.   ^-^

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 08:20:06 PM »
My only complaint with dan curtis is that he didnt use humbert allen astredo and don briscoe enough. both brillent actors and dont get the credit they deserve, especially humbert!!

But if he had, then DC would have had to cut into the time his pet RD was on screen.  ;D

And the fact that RD was his pet should tell us more about DC than almost anything else about him could...

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 08:41:15 PM »
I hated how they wrapped up his stint on the show. That whole thing about him [spoiler]losing his mind and being sent to Windcliff[/spoiler] was very lame!

I loved the scenes, I loved the dream with [spoiler]his cousins Chris and Tom on either side as the werewolf and vampire respectively, but it was a shame it happened to Joe. He'd already been through so much with Angelique, losing Maggie, his job and everything. Now he lost his mind. It shouldn't have happened to Joe. Now what if it happened to Nathan Forbes! Wow that would have been brilliant![/spoiler] [/b]

But if he had, then DC would have had to cut into the time his pet RD was on screen. ;D

And the fact that RD was his pet should tell us more about DC than almost anything else about him could...

LOL! Absolutely. I saw on one of the interviews with Dan Curtis (forget which tape it was on, it was not among the interviews on the DVDs) where he was talking about the different storylines and how when you killed off a character at the end of a storyline it was no problem, you brought him back in the next storyline. He said, "So if you had an actor you liked, like Roger Davis..." and I was shouting "NO! NOT Roger Davis! Gak why did you have to keep bringing him back all the time!" Well that was it, he was Dan's golden boy, though most of the rest of us can't stand him.

Alondra

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 08:58:32 PM »
But if he had, then DC would have had to cut into the time his pet RD was on screen.  ;D

Get rid of RD, But I think that once he got an idea or how a charactor should be he didn't change.  I think dan had a thing for SYT's. With Julia Dan wouldn't let Julia Change and be who she was.  [bnghd]

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 09:57:15 PM »
I think dan had a thing for SYT's. With Julia Dan wouldn't let Julia Change and be who she was.  [bnghd]

As far as that goes, Grayson Hall was brilliant as Julia once she got her footing with the character. Although confined to the storylines and scripts, she always put her own creative touches in. It was her idea to portray Julia as being in love with Barnabas, and when Dan and Co. caught on to what she was doing, they went with it, acknowledging how well it played.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 10:02:50 PM »
I never really cared for Roger Davis.  I thought when he came back as Charles Deleware Tate he was really no different than Dirk.  Whereas you have Thayer David.  During 1897 we see Stokes (when they returned to the present)  Petofi and Sandor...I forget they were all the same actor.  RD wasn't a character actor IMO  Glad I finally found a DS board!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 10:07:55 PM »
Glad I finally found a DS board!!

Welcome, Taeylor!  It's great to see you posting.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
I never really cared for Roger Davis.  I thought when he came back as Charles Deleware Tate he was really no different than Dirk.  Whereas you have Thayer David.  During 1897 we see Stokes (when they returned to the present)  Petofi and Sandor...I forget they were all the same actor.  RD wasn't a character actor IMO  Glad I finally found a DS board!!
Not sure what DC saw in RD.  I have no problem with him when he is calm, but when Peter/Jeff/Ned get agitated, his voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

I have just been watching his pre-1897 appearances as Ned Stuart, and I don't think a character has ever creeped me out more, the way he kept touching Sabrina.  All very innocent I am sure, but it made me very uncomfortable watching...
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 10:40:12 PM »
Not sure what DC saw in RD.  I have no problem with him when he is calm, but when Peter/Jeff/Ned get agitated, his voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. 

I have just been watching his pre-1897 appearances as Ned Stuart, and I don't think a character has ever creeped me out more, the way he kept touching Sabrina.  All very innocent I am sure, but it made me very uncomfortable watching...

ITA, he's so utterly disgusting as Ned! And that voice makes me want to scream! It's so abrasive that after a scene with him in it my eardrums are sore.

Alondra