Author Topic: Today's NoDS Pic (127)  (Read 762 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Today's NoDS Pic (127)
« on: October 28, 2009, 11:59:48 PM »
I don't believe I've had the please (ever!) of seeing NoDS, so sorry if I ask a *dumb* question....

The aforementioned pic....Ang is speaking to Sarah...it isn't the same Sarah as from the '66-'67(?) eps I've watched....is it?

Thanks & loving the captures MB [8_1_210]

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Today's NoDS Pic (127)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 01:59:43 AM »
good question patti...

however not one i can answer with any certainty.

NODS is "dark shadows" in name but it's otherwise not remotely tied into the series mythology(oh,and the house is called collinwood).

yes there's a "quentin" and an "angelique" but there's also a carlotta,a tracy,a claire and an alex.there's a brief mention of an elizabeth stoddard but neither she nor the rest of the daytime collins family are part of the plot.needless to say neither is barnabas collins.

is the quentin in NODS the same quentin as his daytime counterpart?who knows.the name "quentin" seems to be a generic catchall for a david selby character(that and the muttonchops).he's named that in every single time period whether series continuity backs that up or not.

diana millay plays a character named "laura" here but there's no indication whatsover that she's a pheonix or the same person she played on the series.

so without a barnabas character it's almost impossible to say one way or another whether or not this "sarah" is the same sarah from the program.

is that vague enough for you? [hall2_wink]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 03:17:42 PM »
Hi Patti and MSC,

It's not really remotely spoilerish to answer these questions, so, in brief:

Sarah in the NoDS story was Sarah Castle, the daughter of the Collinwood housekeeper in 1810 (a character played by our beloved Clarice Blackburn).  Sarah does not exist as a ghost in the 1971 sequences, but she is linked to the "present day" in a way that's explained at a pivotal moment in the story.

Selby has a dual role in NoDS:  in the present day he is Quentin Collins, an avant-garde Manhattan painter who inherits the Collinwood estate after the death of Mrs. Stoddard.  And in 1810, he is Charles Collins, who was romantically involved with a lovely woman named Angelique (who may or may not have been a Witch).

NoDS is often shown on one of the cable channels at this time of year, so perhaps you can catch it at some point. 

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 11:14:35 PM »
Gothick has already pretty much said it, but in as many words Sarah Castle in NoDS is not the same as Sarah Collins from the daytime show. Sarah Castle is the housekeeper's daughter in NoDS and a devoted friend to Angelique - Sarah Collins was Barnabas' sister.

Actually, many fans have made an excellent case that, even when they may share the same names, very few of the characters in hoDS or NoDS are the same characters that were portrayed on the daytime show - and that hoDS suffers because of DC's insistence on reviving his original vision of the Barnabas story that he was prevented from doing on the daytime show.

The movies, like the Marilyn Ross novels, the Gold Key comics, etc., are really DS universes unto themselves...