Author Topic: Memories of DS In Syndication  (Read 1326 times)

David

Memories of DS In Syndication
« on: August 24, 2012, 06:09:59 PM »
 [ghost_smiley]
I'll never forget living in Brooklyn NY in 1982, the year I had my first VCR.
DS was airing on WNBC channel 4, six eps a week.
Mon at 3AM.
Tues/Wed/Thur at 3:30AM
Fri at 4AM
Sat at 4:30AM

I remember the schedule well, because I got up every night to watch it, record it, and edit out the commercials. This went on for six months! Gotta get the original back on the air!

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
Re: Memories of DS In Syndication
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 07:54:59 PM »
In '82, I rediscovered DS watching it on WMTW channel 8 out of Poland Spring, Maine.  I could get a fair picture (with a jury-rigged antenna) over 150 miles from the antenna, up in Bangor!  I actually audio taped some of the shows(on good old cassettes), the most memorable of which was the episode in 1967 where Barnabas catches David coming out of the mausoleum.

During the original run, I watched DS on channel 7, Bangor ABC affiliate WEMT (now WVII). I saw 95% of the original run in black and white, since we didn't get a color set until '73! Occasionally, I would go off to my Grandma's, or to a friend's house about a mile down the street and see a color episode.

Petofi

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 09:40:09 PM »
My first time seeing it in synidcation was maybe '82/83, when I lived in Las Vegas.  It came on every night, at 11:00 p.m. (or was it 10:30?).  It aired for about a year.  The next time was in '87 when I lived in Tucson.  It came on in the morning (10ish/11ish) and was preceded by reruns of the Australian '60's (or was it '70's?) show, Skippy, The Bush Kangaroo.

Gerard

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 10:05:33 PM »
DS was airing on WNBC channel 4, six eps a week.
Mon at 3AM.
Tues/Wed/Thur at 3:30AM
Fri at 4AM
Sat at 4:30AM
David, did it start out in the afternoon and then move to early morning?  I remember some channel, that was out of my area, but in the region, was showing DS in the afternoon with a great deal of publicity to promote it. I think it was Ch 4 out of NYC, but I'm not sure.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 01:21:04 AM »
It was 82/83.  I was thinking it was PBS in Portland Or, but I could be wrong.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

David

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 04:15:08 AM »
Doc/K9, yes, they had it Mon-Fri at 4PM for exactly three weeks, but felt the ratings weren't high enough. Interestingly, Mary Tyler Moore followed DS at 4:30PM, and had comparable ratings, yet they were happy with MTM.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big MTM fan, but I found the whole thing to be yet another case of anti-DS bigotry.

David

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 04:29:51 AM »
 [ghost_smiley]
Gerard, did you get my message?

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 05:16:33 AM »
I started watching DS in syndication in 1976. WLVI TV 56 was showing it at 11:00 PM which meant I could only watch it on certain Friday nights!  I'd seen glimpses of the show during its original run but was forbidden to watch it. By '76 I was 13 and my mother had no problem with me watching it, but staying up until 11:30 was another matter. I had to pick the right time to ask or wait until my parents were going out. When that happened I also got to watch Night Gallery immediately after DS on the same channel.  After it finished its run, it was shown in Manchester NH. The listings were in our TV Guide, but I was unable to get the station. Apparently Cumberland RI was close enough. Jeff Arsenault reported, in The Collinsport Call, that he'd seen it on that station. I was in Newport and unable to watch it. There was one day when the weather was favorable for whatever reason. I did get glimpses that faded in and out along with the sound. That was the closest I came to watching an episode during that run. My brothers thought I was pathetic standing in front of the TV holding the rabbit ears over my head, waiting eagerly for a few seconds of relatively clear video and/or audio. After that, I had to be satisfied with audio tapes of the show. Various people sent me tapes of the series. I had about 70% of the episodes of the 4 years Frid was on the series, every story was in my collection but there were gaps after 1795.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 09:03:01 AM »
i think wnbc eventually moved mary to 3am also and i think they tried heres lucy in the 4pm slot and eventually moved that to 3 or 4am too. i was living in philadelphia and was picking up wnbc signal but it was snowy. i reported my syndication viewing on this board before but a short recap for me was 1st watching it on wkbs tv 48 in philly at 1130pm when they showed the 1st syndicated year. then i worked for wwac tv 53 in atlantic city nj. they were the 1st station to go beyond the 1st syndicated year but station went bankrupt and off the air after airing about 300 syndicated eps. then the brief wnbc airings followed by the njn episodes. i moved to lancaster pa in 83 and had a friend record the njn eps for me. in lancaster i could pick up a station in baltimore md showing ds for i think 2 years or so. then in 1986 moved to los angeles and shortly after moving to la kdoc tv 56 showed 3 syndicated yrs. it seemed like the show was following me everywhere i moved to. lol

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 11:28:03 AM »
i grew up in new hampshire in the 70's and 80' and have absolutely no childhood memories of the series. none. perhaps it was not syndicated in that area???

my first exposure to it was at some point in the late 1990's i believe at a time when the sci-fi channel aired two episodes at 11:00pm. i'll always remember the first episodes i watched were the ones where david locked victoria up in the attic and she saw bill malloy's ghost.

i was living in a large brownstone in brooklyn at the time and sometimes i watched television with my landlady. she must have seen this with me because later when i started watching the series in it's entirety on video she always asked me about two things: joan bennett and "that girl that got locked in the attic".
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 10:14:52 PM »
After I'd read in Variety that Art Wallace's suit against DC was settled and the way was finally paved for DS to be syndicated, I kept expecting to hear that DS had indeed popped up on stations, but it wasn't until I just happened to be reading the LA Times in the college library one day in October of '75 that I came across actual evidence of a TV station running DS: an ad promoting DS on LA's KHJ:

(And of course I promptly made sure that the librarian would give me the paper once the microfilm came in for the issue instead of tossing it in the junk (no recycling in those days  [ghost_nowink]))

From then on I kept expecting that any week I was going to be reading my TV Guide and discover that DS was on some station in my area - but months went by without that happening. In fact, it wasn't until I read an article in the April 14, 1976 issue of weekly Variety that I learned there was a possibly that DS would be in my area because the Kaiser Broadcasting Group, which owned a station in my area, had picked up DS and was going to begin running it on their stations. But I wasn't absolutely sure that my local Kaiser station was going to be running DS until I came across a full page ad in the same issue of Variety that indicated that it was:

(And I've always thought it was odd that the ad said the first ratings were in because DS had already been running in LA for 6 months. But who knows? Perhaps they were testing DS in LA before branching out wider.)

So, I finally got to see DS in syndication - and for the first 5 months it was actually like watching brand new eps because I hadn't originally discovered DS until September of '67. But at the end of that first package of syndicated ep the show went off because Worldvision didn't release more eps.  [ghost_sad]  And even though I did see in my TV Guide that DS ran in New Hampshire in '77-78, I never saw any of those eps because I couldn't get the stations they were on. It wasn't until September of '85 that I once again noticed that DS was on again in my area. But as I've mentioned before, by that time I had packed away all my DS stuff and it had been years since I'd put the show behind me as nothing more than a fond memory. However, after learning of its return, from time to time I would think about DS and wonder what I would think about the show if I saw it again. But that wasn't about to happen anytime soon because I was working full time and I didn't own a VCR and DS was on at 11:30am. But one day when I had the day off from work curiosity got the better of me and I tried to see if I could get the station (which was a new station in the area and not part of the cable package). I did - not too well - but well enough to see that I'd stumbled upon Ep #233, the one in which Barnabas tells Carolyn and Vicki the story of Josette's suicide. And it was like no time had passed since I'd seen a DS ep as all the old feelings for the show came flooding back. But even so, I resisted getting involved with it again. But by the time I'd had a few more days off and came across eps like the one in which Julia opens Barnabas' coffin, I knew it was a losing battle. And before too long I'd bought an amplified antenna, a VCR, and I was recording DS every day and watching it soon after I got home. And along the way not only did I reacquaint myself with the eps I'd already seen back in the day, but I finally also got to see the eps I'd missed between September of '68 and early January of '69 while DS had originally been moved from 4pm in my area. And I continued watching right up until the run on the station ended with 1970PT Ep #1007 in September of '88. But at that point, like most of us who were active in fandom back then (yes, by then I had really given in and was a subscriber to The World of DS, Inside The Old House, and SG, and the proud owner of My Scrapbook Memories and the newly issued soundtracks, among other things) I feared we might never get to see the final year of eps because the station I'd watched and others had tried to get them with no luck. And never in my wildest dreams did I think we might ever see the pre-Barn eps! But little did any of us know that not much longer than a year later a video company called MPI would start to issue eps on VHS. And four years later a new cable station called Sci-Fi would begin showing DS from the very beginning. And before long every DS ep would be available in some fashion or another. And as they say, the rest is history.  [ghost_wink]

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 12:50:58 AM »
MB, were you watching on channel 56 out of Boston?  WLVI is part of living, living 56!   

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 03:32:18 PM »
I was back in '76-'77.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 03:48:10 PM »
channel 56 was our "uhf" station in new hampshire...

i grew up watching the usual syndicated junk food of the 70's...the brady bunch, gilligan's island, i dream of genie and that saturday masterwork "creature double feature"...but somehow DS escaped me.

as a child with a budding gay sensibility i adored soap operas and 1960's fashions. if i had seen even a minute of it i would have stopped and watched it.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.