Author Topic: Regarding the '91 Series DVD Set?  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the '91 Series DVD Set?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 05:51:29 AM »
I agree that if they took the 1.33:1 version of the show and turned that into 2.35:1, that would be a much worse disaster than having it at 1.78:1. But even though the show wasn't broadcast that way, it was originally shot in widescreen - so I was saying that it would be a miracle if the original widescreen version is what Sony used for the reissue. Though the chances of that being the case would appear to be slim to none...

As for 1.78:1 version, to me too many shots cut off too much - especially in some close-ups. I keep wanting to do a side by side comparison of the VHS release to the DVD release - but I'm afraid the results would get me even more upset than I already am about how the DVD release was butchered.  [santa_angry]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 06:14:44 AM »
Sickening isn't it MB?  I wasn't aware or possibly forgot that it was filmed in Wide Screen! Why wasn't the show broadcast in Wide Screen??  Perhaps because it wasn't as pouplar in those days as now!?
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 10:14:40 PM »
But even though the show wasn't broadcast that way, it was originally shot in widescreen - so I was saying that it would be a miracle if the original widescreen version is what Sony used for the reissue.

This is the first I've heard that the show was filmed in widescreen.  My hunch is that it was filmed in 1.33:1, protected for widescreen (1.85:1 or 1.78:1) exhibition.  What was shown on TV was the full 1.33:1 image, since letterboxing for TV shows was still rather rare back then.  When the DVD set was released, we got what was probably originally intended as the widescreen image.  (The reason the opening credits on the DVD are pillarboxed--black bars on the sides--would then be that the network had decided only to broadcast the fullscreen image, so a widescreen credit sequence was never created.)  I have very, very high doubts that a 2.35:1 image was ever planned.  That is an aspect ratio generally only intended for theatrical releases.  I can't think of any TV series ever that was filmed in 2.35:1.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 01:27:48 AM »
I have very, very high doubts that a 2.35:1 image was ever planned.  That is an aspect ratio generally only intended for theatrical releases.  I can't think of any TV series ever that was filmed in 2.35:1.

I have those same very, very high doubts - which is why I said it would be a weird miracle, and why I pointed out that amazon.com often lists the wrong product details and/or that Sony listing the incorrect aspect ratio on the box would be nothing for them. In fact, the UK release of the '91 series lists the aspect ratio as 1.33:1 (which set hopes soaring), but it actually turned out that the box is completely wrong and the eps are identical to the US release.  [santa_rolleyes]  I strongly suspect the 2.35:1 aspect ratio listing on the reissue, if it is indeed listed and not some error on amazon.com's part, is equally wrong...

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 07:23:24 AM »
Someone should just buy it and check it out.  [a_xmas]

I want to say that it was maybe about $11 at Wal-Mart. Even if I were to buy it (which I'm not inclined to do at the moment ... ), I probably wouldn't be the person to figure out what the aspect ratio was.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 01:39:46 PM »
I'm tempted to buy it just to check it out. I have friends who loved the '91 series as much as I did, so if it's the same, I could give it to them. Though they've seen how the butchered version turned out and they're just as disappointed with it as I am.

$11 huh? That's interesting because I checked walmart.com last week after reading your post - and they only list the original release - and for $28.86.  [santa_sad]  Though the reissue could have easily been part of a sale the day you saw it in the store...

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 06:45:19 AM »
I had to go to WalMart again a couple of days ago, but I couldn't find the DVD this time. When I had been there a week or so ago, they had a whole display of vampire movies - that is, all the recent teen-oriented vampire movies, plus the 1991 DS revival. All had now vanished. When I finally asked a worker about it, he said they had changed the featured section to a Harry Potter feature/discount. He didn't know what the price had been on the DS DVD, but as I try to remember, I'm sure it was no more than $14.95, and may have been $10.99 or thereabouts.
 [stocking]
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 05:20:57 AM »
I was out wrapping up my Christmas shopping tonight and I stopped into a Walmart. But, sadly, no copies of the reissued DVD were to be found. However, it was a regular Walmart. Maybe I'll check out a Super Walmart when I'm in the vicinity of one. There are like three in an area of 25 miles in different directions...

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2009, 04:53:07 AM »
Okay, now I'm intrigued by all the posts on this DVD set...so--I will order it from Amazon today and let you all know what I find when I watch it.  I already have the first DVD release from a few years ago, but owning earlier versions never stopped me from buying a newer version of other movies or shows--guess I'm obsessive like that, always trying to find the next best thing.  LOL.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2009, 07:55:05 AM »
Let us know what you found out cousin!! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 12:26:56 AM »
Okay, here's the scoop on the newly-packaged set--that's what it is: newly-packaged.  The back cover is nearly identical to the previous release, including the same descriptive text, picture and catch-phrase "Be seduced by the darkness."  The AR is listed as 1:78.1, the running time as 592 minutes, in Dolby surround, etc.  It's a 3-disc set (front cover description) just as the previous release was.  Frankly, I'm not even going to open the package, but will send it back to Amazon and get my $32.00 back.

But at least we now know. . .

Brian

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2009, 07:16:37 PM »
Thanks, Brian, for going out of your way to find out.  [santa_smiley]

Not that it was unexpected that the product details listed on amazon.com are wrong, but adding this instance to all the other times they've gotten things wrong and one wonders what sort of morons work there?  [santa_rolleyes]

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2010, 05:51:56 AM »
I can't speak about the folks who create the info posts, but the ones who do the shipping make certain I have my packages in one or two days, compelte and not damaged.   [santa_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 06:36:17 PM »
When it comes to buying DVDs, I would recommend Amazon. They often have the best prices (especially on pre-orders) and their delivery time is very reliable. It's just that too often the product details they provide are off the mark...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 12:00:51 AM »
Amazon is my favorite place to shop! LOVES IT!