Author Topic: ShadowGram Update 172  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
ShadowGram Update 172
« on: July 23, 2007, 02:07:39 PM »
Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), announces the following breaking news.

***** DS FESTIVAL BANQUET WITH JONATHAN FRID - SOLD OUT

The Banquet dinner at the Dark Shadows Festival's celebration of Jonathan Frid's first appearance as Barnabas Collins now is sold out. No more spaces are available.

However, tickets still are available for attending the other Festival activites on Friday, August 17 and Saturday, August 18. Fest programming is being held at the Westchester Marriott Hotel in Tarrytown, NY.

Jonathan Frid joins us on Sat., Aug. 18 only. He will present a program of dramatic/humorous readings, participate in an audience Q&A session, and comment on clips from DS scenes. Please note: Jonathan will not be signing autographs at the Festival. Only Banquet attendees will receive an exclusive, personalized signed photo from Jonathan.

We also welcome our "Ladies of Dark Shadows" guests: Lara Parker (Angelique), Kathryn Leigh Scott (Maggie/Josette), and Marie Wallace (Eve, Mad Jenny). They will be available for autographs both days and will join us at the Banquet as well.

On Fri., Aug. 17, fans can take day trips to nearby historic Lyndhurst Estate ("Collinwood" in both DS movies). Fest programming runs approximately 6:00pm-2am on Friday and approximately 11:00am-7:00pm on Saturday.

The Westchester Marriott Hotel is at 670 White Plains Rd., Tarrytown, NY 10591. 914-631-2200. It is approximately 25 miles (45 minutes) north of Manhattan on the eastern shore of the Hudson River at the Tappan-Zee Bridge. The hotel is accessible by air, train, and driving.

SG Online Updates #167-171 announced the latest confirmed plans, general programming, and more. To receive specific information from these e-mail List announcements, please contact   ShadowGram@aol.com

A schedule of events will be announced on this SG Updates List when convention programming is confirmed. The schedule also will be sent via postal-mail to pre-registered Fest members shortly before the Fest.

Payments for Fest memberships and the Lyndhurst trip must be accompanied by the Fest registration form and a SASE (Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope). To obtain this form,
send a SASE  to:

Dark Shadows Festival, P.O. Box 92, Maplewood, NJ 07040

General information is on the Fest website: www.darkshadowsfestival.com ;

Please Note: The Fest website has been experiencing temporary technical difficulties over the past few days. So you may request the registration form via postal-mail (above address). Or you can e-mail ShadowGram@aol.com and request the registration form be e-mailed to you. You also may revisit the website until it is back online.

Fest Memberships / Special Event Rates:

Fri. night (Approx. 6pm-2am) - $15.
Sat. all day (Approx. 11am-7pm) - $20.
Fri. evening (not Lyndhurst trip) and all day Sat. - $30.
Children (6-12) - Half-price.
Fri. trip (Approx. 10am-4pm) - $20. Includes Lyndhurst admission and free round-trip shuttle from hotel. (Non-refundable reservation must be received by Aug. 10)

Memberships at the same rates will be available at the door.

Make check/money order payable to Dark Shadows Festival and include a SASE. Credit cards and Paypal are not accepted. Send to:

Dark Shadows Festival
P.O. Box 92
Maplewood, NJ 07040

SG in print soon will further detail the news in this Update and report additional DS news.

***** "ANGELIQUE'S DESCENT" RETURNS AS A SPECIAL AUDIO CD SET

"Big Finish Productions have recorded an audio book of 'Angelique's Descent', featuring Lara Parker reading her classic DS novel for CD. The abridged adaptation features atmospheric music and sound effects, plus special dramatised scenes featuring Angelique and the Dark Spirit, played by Andrew Collins.

"Lara comments: 'I'm delighted to have recorded this audio version of Angelique's Descent. Dipping back into the story of the character I played on the show, a story I imagined 8 years ago when I wrote the novel, was a guilty pleasure. I was disappointed when the book went out of print and I'm thrilled to be able to make it available again for those who still wonder whether Angelique was a villainess or a heroine.'

"The novel is released as 2 double-disc releases, retailing at $15.00 each. Part 1: Innocence chronicles Angelique's early childhood and first encounters with Barnabas, while Part 2: Betrayal follows their romance up until the fateful events of 1795. Each set also includes a bonus interview with Lara, discussing the book"

Both CDs will debut at the DS Festival and will be available via mail-order from Aug. 20. To view cover artwork and pre-order online, visit http://www.darkshadowsreborn.com

Big Finish is currently working on the second series of DS audio dramas, with plans to record later this year. SG will update confirmed news.

***** NEW DVD RELEASES FEATURING DS ACTORS IN PREVIOUS ROLES

--- KATE JACKSON (Daphne Harridge) had her first primetime TV role as "Jill Danko" in Aaron Spelling's 1972-76 police drama series "The Rookies." The first season (1972-73) came out in a 5-disc set 7-17.

--- KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT starred in the 1980s HBO series "Phillip Marlowe Private Eye." Its first season is due on dvd 7-24.

--- JONATHAN FRID played the mute butler "Mr. Howard" in the 1973 made-for-TV horror film "The Devil's Daughter." Its dvd release now is projected for September.

***** All fans attending the Fest are invited and welcome to share their photos and reports with SG. Fans also are asked to please send SG any media reviews, publicity, or articles about the DVD releases. Please be sure to note the name of the source (newspaper, magazine, website, etc.) and the date.

Your sharing lets SG readers worldwide enjoy the Festival event through you, and helps each SG published issue be as complete as possible. Please send all materials to SG's e- or postal- mail addresses below. A Contributor's Copy issue is given in thanks for major input.

***** Subscription information for the ShadowGram print issues follows.

Subscriptions & Renewals:
US & Canada First Class Mail: $12.00 for 4 issues or $24.00 for 8 issues
Overseas Air Mail: US $ 20.00 for 4 issues or US $40.00 for 8 issues

Please send check/money order to:

Marcy Robin
P.O. Box 1766
Temple City, CA 91780-7766

You can pay online for your SG subscription/renewal using PayPal and   ShadowGram@aol.com

When you subscribe, the current SG #110 and its companion issue, SG #109, will be mailed to begin your subscription. You then would receive future newsletter issues and any complimentary Special Bonus Announcements as they are published.

Thank you.
Marcy Robin

ShadowGram Editor / Publisher
Marcy Robin, P.O. Box 1766, Temple City, CA 91780-7766
E-mail: ShadowGram@aol.com

SHADOWGRAM (SG) is the * Official * "Dark Shadows" Newsletter. Much of its news is provided by the show's personnel and those involved in the 1966-71 TV series, 1991 TV series, and 2004 WB pilot. Established in 1979, SG works directly with individuals, companies, and others involved in DS' creation, distribution, promotion, merchandise, etc.

Regular SG print issues are published throughout the year, with free bonus complimentary breaking-news published updates as needed.

Brief Update bulletins are posted on this ShadowGram Online "Dark Shadows" News Updates List / Marcy Robin's ShadowGram "Dark Shadows" Cyberspace News Updates List. These posts are sent via e-mail between regularly-published issues to quickly notify fans of time-sensitive developments. Each e-mail Update is expanded and detailed in the subscription postal-mail print issues. You also can receive this identical SG Online Update by joining the ShadowGram Group at yahoogroups

SG postal-mail print issues are immediately available:
--- US & Canadian First Class subscriptions: $12.00 for 4 issues, $24.00 for 8 issues.
---Overseas Air Mail subscriptions: US $20.00 for 4 issues, US $40.00 for 8 issues.

Please send print issue subscription payment to:

Marcy Robin, P.O. Box 1766, Temple City, CA 91780-7766.

Online subscription payment can be made via Paypal to: ShadowGram@aol.com

For more information on the newsletter, please write with a SASE (Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope) to the above postal-address or e-mail ShadowGram@aol.com

Whenever your e-mail address changes, please notify me immediately. Please include your old and new e-mail addresses. If you do not wish to remain on the Online "ShadowGram / Marcy Robin's Cyberspace Dark Shadows News Update List," please notify me directly via return e-mail. Thank you.

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram Update 172
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 04:45:08 PM »
Wow! It's sold out! That's great news. Of course, for those people who were waiting till the last minute, it's not so great. I'm so looking forward to this!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 05:03:34 PM »
Tickets are still available for the DS event itself.  The ballroom where the banquet will be held holds about 850 people whereas without all the tables and chairs that ballroom holds at least 1,000.  So people can still get tickets but I would not wait much longer as there is a good chance the Saturday tickets may be sold out before the event happens.

nancy

Wow! It's sold out! That's great news. Of course, for those people who were waiting till the last minute, it's not so great. I'm so looking forward to this!

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 11:36:45 PM »
Yes, at least you can still get tickets to the Fest itself--I am so tentative about my Fest status, even at this point, that being out 30 dollars was a lot better than 90 dollars, as I do not think you can get a refund on the banquet tickets, or  do people sometimes sell them to late comers at the last minute, so anyway, some of the last minuters could still see Jonathan Sat afternoon, but I do advise them not to wait too long...

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 02:02:03 AM »
Hmmm...considering that this year's DS thing is, essentially, a one-day event (no disrespect to the "Ladies of DS," but this year it's All About Frid), I wonder if they'll dispense with the usual procedure of making everyone stand in line for name tags and just check people's receipts for admission to the ballroom.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 03:42:11 AM »
I'd say that's probably unlikely. I think it's safe to say that more than a few fans suspect the Fest's likely motto is "If it's broke, don't fix it!"  [b003]

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 03:53:34 AM »
Yeah, that long line I have heard about where you have to wait in a separate line for the banquet is one of several reasons I went for Fest only, but it would be great if things were done differently this year, but I have to side with the naysayers.....

Hey, it is fine with me that that Fest is "all about JF", to me, having Lara there with him is a lovely bonus...

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 12:20:49 AM »
Hey, it is fine with me that that Fest is "all about JF", to me, having Lara there with him is a lovely bonus...

Just to clarify, in case anyone got the wrong impression, I didn't intend my All About Frid comment as a slight against JF or a complaint.  I just meant that he's the big drawing card this year and probably the number one reason many fans are attending, especially when the event is shorter than the usual full weekend and not necessarily worth the trip for those who have far to travel.  I live within driving distance and will be attending on Saturday only, and I suspect that I'm not the only "local" fan who will do so.

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 01:14:48 AM »
Claude, I certainly did not take any offense, and I am sure  most people here did not either.  About the only reason I am trying to go is BECAUSE Jonathan will be there, I had sworn off Fests years ago for that very reason, and knowing how fast tickets are going, I am sure I am not the only one thinking that way....as I know I have said ad naseum, LOL, my interest in DS has mostly focused on my being a fan of Jonathan and Lara and their body of work both separately and together, rather than of the show as a whole...guess one reason I got rather bored at the last Fest I went to--I used to feel there was a big hole on stage without Jonathan there, how nice that will be filled again...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 01:53:43 AM »
you guys know who's absence from the fest i feel most acutely each year however...

it doesn't really detract from my enjoyment of the event itself.for me the show is a total package.it's a mood.a sensibility.an attitude.

frid for me was just a part of that totality.his appearance at this year's event did not in the least factor into my desicion to come(that's not to say i'm not pleased).

i still wish the rest of the "family" was going to be there but that's another topic alltogether. :-X
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 02:02:46 AM »
you guys know who's absence from the fest i feel most acutely each year however...

it doesn't really detract from my enjoyment of the event itself.for me the show is a total package.it's a mood.a sensibility.an attitude.

frid for me was just a part of that totality.his appearance at this year's event did not in the least factor into my desicion to come(that's not to say i'm not pleased).

i still wish the rest of the "family" was going to be there but that's another topic alltogether. :-X

is there a reason the rest that might attend are not going?
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 02:48:24 AM »

I think that Old Man Frid's appearance is going to be a bang. Yes, I am saddened that there will be no dealer tables, and, of course, no JK, but I think it wil be a nice event, and folks may have the opportunity to meet, "BARNABAS" in person.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 03:19:12 AM »

Check out:
Re: Got my DSWE '07 official form today...

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 08:41:40 PM »

Check out:
Re: Got my DSWE '07 official form today...
thanks MB just makes me wonder if the future holds smaller events
with different themes?
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV