Author Topic: "the strangest soap opera of all time has come to an end"  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
"the strangest soap opera of all time has come to an end"
« on: August 07, 2008, 12:14:26 AM »
An OpEd piece by a person who was initially interested in watching Passions because of their love for DS, but who in the end never really liked the show because of how it was so different from DS. Finally, someone in the media who appreciates the difference.

Check out: TV Squad Soap Report: Passions played out

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
Re: "the strangest soap opera of all time has come to an end"
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 05:45:19 AM »
i watched it since day 1. they mentioned BARNABAS COLLINS 3 times and played the DARK SHADOWS theme several times. also several mentions of BEWITCHED and even DR. BOMBAY was on. they should have ended it last year on nbc. directv treated the show and its customers like crap. they 1st cut the show from 5 episodes a week to 4 then later 3 eps a week. then in april they took away the 101 channel from the basic pkg without warning. then the only way to continue seeing passions was to upgrade to a more expensive pkg costing about $15 more a month. as soon as i preserve the final episode tomorrow, im getting rid of directv.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 07:04:19 AM »
I watched it regularly until Timmy died in real life.  After that, it became more or less unwatchable.  Like Joe, I really enjoyed hearing a good deal of the DS music cues throughout  the early story.  That brought back a lot of nostalgia for me. 

I agree that the author was correct that Another World was a better soap and it was sad when they canceled.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 07:42:10 AM »
I started watching from day one also..then after about three years it went to hell.   And the way they are ending the Tabitha storyline in my opinion is a slap in the face.  I wish she would have rained down hell fire and "DESTROYED" all of Harmony. MUAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!! 
This so was NO Dark Shadows.  I swear I think some of DS effects looked better than Passions.  NO seriously!!   
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 01:28:02 PM »
Alot of Dark Shadows effects looked better than Passions', and it felt like none of the actors took the show serious. It felt more like "Goosebumbs" than "Dracula". It felt like the writers were going "OK this part is for the adults and this part is for the six to ten year olds". I watched it for six to ten weeks and decided that was enough.

Dark Shadows always felt like it was being written for adults and it always felt like the actors took the stories, it does to this day.
May you die before you want too.

David

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 01:42:04 PM »
Passions was meant to be a spoof, a mix of Dark Shadows
& Bewitched.

I think the show took a serious wrong turn 2 years ago when rape & gay incest became part of it's formula.
But for it's first three years, Passions was grand: it had a nice sized following then, though it never achieved
the success of DS.

Passions reruns begin on USA Network in a few weeks, and on Canada's Super Channel the day after the last episode airs.
I'd urge people to check out the early episodes.
The adventures of Tabby the Witch & Timmy the Living Doll have enthralled many a DS fan!

David

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 03:39:48 PM »
I may give it another, but I'm not a big fan of spoofs.
May you die before you want too.