Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0600  (Read 1637 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0600
« on: August 01, 2008, 05:18:52 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0600
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 05:28:01 PM »
Barnabas didn't act terribly interested in the book that fell from the bookshelf - Philippe Cordier's history of the French Revolution.  If a book fell from my bookshelf, I would have something to say about it.  "Oh, yeah, I picked it up at a yard sale a couple of years back.  I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, so I can't tell you anything about it."  "Oh, yeah, my cousin gave it to me for Christmas last year, so I felt obliged to read it, but it took me forever to get through it.  I don't know if Philippe Cordier couldn't write or if the English translator couldn't translate, and I'm not inclined to go find the original French book and find out."  "Huh?  I've never seen the book before in my life.  What's it doing on my bookshelf and who's been messing around with my books?"  But Barnabas acted as though he had no idea what was in his bookcase.

What's impressive about Marie Wallace's performance is that it is complete.  Marie Wallace is a very nice woman with a nice sense of humor, and you see absolutely none of that in Eve.  There's no self-indulgence in that performance.

Whom does Nicholas really prefer - Eve or Maggie?  And if Adam started being as obnoxious with Eve as he is with Barnabas, would Eve decide that his scars weren't so bad, after all?

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 10:48:06 PM »
I loved the scene between Eve and Nicholas....she so wants to seduce him. I have a feeling Nicholas wouldn't mind having a piece of her either if he wasn't so anxious to have her and Adam to give him some young ones he could twist and control. He's already done a great job of that with Adam.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 01:02:30 AM »
.... "Huh?  I've never seen the book before in my life.  What's it doing on my bookshelf and who's been messing around with my books?"  But Barnabas acted as though he had no idea what was in his bookcase....

Maybe he hadn't. Maybe Joshua had been one of those Georgian era nouveau riche businessmen who bought his books by the yard (with matching covers) simply to impress.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 11:59:17 AM »
I like the idea, Pansity, but if those books had been there for nearly two hundred years, with broken windows to let in the rain (oops, I forgot, it never rains in Collinsport), I don't think they wouldn't have been in such good condition as the Philippe Cordier book was in.

Anyway, the Old House was abandoned in 1795 or 1795, and which seems a bit early for a history of the French Revolution to be on its shelves.

Furthermore, I just remembered, wasn't that bookshelf in the Old House basement in 1897?  If so, inertia would not have maintained the books there.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 11:43:21 PM »
That's the same problem I have with all the books  and papers and clothing and paintings left to their own devises in what are clearly ramshackle parts of the closed off wings, in addition to the Old House.

Josette's perfect condition and wearable wedding gown, as well as  other clothing, are a particular favorite in the stretching the willing suspension of disbelief till it hurts. Anyone know if anyone's ever gotten curious to email Colonial Williamsburgh to find out if that's even remotely possible?

One WOULD think, also, that sharp Yankee traders like the early Collins would have balked at leaving books, papers and valuable paintings to the elements.  People reused and recycled EVERYTHING with any possibility of a practical re-use in those days.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 09:53:18 AM »
I think you were right Pansity: the Cordier book probably was indeed bought by Joshua.  In the world of Dark Shadows, the book should still be in perfect condition after 200 years.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 10:01:02 PM »
I forgot to post the other day that this moment from this episode is another one of my favorite Eve moments:

The expression on her face is priceless!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 10:07:37 PM »
I like the idea, Pansity, but if those books had been there for nearly two hundred years, with broken windows to let in the rain (oops, I forgot, it never rains in Collinsport), I don't think they wouldn't have been in such good condition as the Philippe Cordier book was in.

That secretary didn't stand there in the drawing room for two hundred years. During the 1897 period we specifically learn in one of the few present day glimpses of 1969 that Willie brought it upstairs shortly after Barnabas moved in in 1967. And that actually does jibe with what we see of the drawing room prior to Barnabas' arrival as well as the fact that the secretary is not there in 1897. Just when it ended up in the basement is anyone's guess, though, because it was still in the drawing room in 1840. However, we have no way of knowing if the same books and other things that were in it in 1795/96 or in 1840 were still in it when it was eventually stored in the basement, or even if they were, if Barnabas or Willie didn't change the contents in 1967 when it was moved to the drawing room or at some point afterward but prior to the Philippe Cordier book falling out...

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 10:20:22 PM »
In 1897, it was moved downstairs to the basement, into the cell.  [ghost_rolleyes]

[spoiler]Barnabas needed some reading material. And how else is Barnabas susposed to get a note to Julia in the present. [/spoiler]

Did you notice how Barnabas and Julia's clothes matched a little I think that they are trying to dress her better. I mean she is a Dr. after all.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 11:08:52 AM »
I agree that it was possible, and would have made sense, that Philippe Cordier's book could have been in the bookcase all those years, without Barnabas' knowing about it. However, I think that it was also possible that Philippe Cordier could have made the book appear in the bookcase at that moment, which would explain the perfect condition of the book. In fact, I believe the latter scenario was probably the way happened. [ideag]

[spoiler]Remember Sarah had the flute, bouncing ball, doll and soldier? She made those things appear. [/spoiler] By the way, I just love the name Philippe Cordier! [luv] It is so romantic and fun to say. [winkg]

It was fun to watch Eve coming on to Nicholas. Nicholas was also turned on, but he didn't act on it, because he wanted to make his "master race" with Adam and Eve. Eve being so bored with Adam, even to the point of drumming her fingers on the chair arm, was fun, also.  [ghost_grin]

I loved the seance! It was a highlight of the show to hear Barnabas speaking French! [clap2]  I'm guessing that, since Jonathan Frid is Canadian, he probably knows French very well. [ghost_wink]

The scene at the end of the show, when Adam was being strangled and Barnabas felt it, too, was thrilling to watch. I love watching when something bad happens to both people. [ghost_shocked]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 05:53:58 AM »
[milestone]

Ep 600! I really wonder if they celebrated this milestone??  It would have been nice if back in those days they celebrated a milestone with flashbacks or something different from day to day shenanigans.  However, I do love this episode.  I love the seance and I thought JF was amazing.  He seemed to relish the fact that for a breif  moment he was able to step out of Barney's shoes and play the Phillipe Cordier role.  Sally me and you I think are always on the same page. LOL  I too agree that the name sounds so romantic.  Oh course at the end we got to hear the fabulous GH scream an all too familiar tune "BARNUBAAAAAAAAS"  I think.  Or was that in the opening of the next ep?? Actually this is an AMAZING ep so in a way it did CELEBRATE the fact that DS had made it to 600 eps!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 10:06:40 PM »
I agree JF look liked he was very excited as an actor to do something else. It was also a nice change of pace.  [128]
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books