Author Topic: I LUV Those Collins Kids!!!  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
I LUV Those Collins Kids!!!
« on: January 18, 2003, 05:57:56 AM »
From Quentin screaming at his sister. .  "stop looking at me like i'm an exhibit!"  To Judith yelling "What?!!" at Carl's declaration of newfound luv. . these guys really ROCK as siblings. . .the age disparities aside, they completly embody sniveling, silver-spoon, insecure siblings. . . I **know** understand why DS's ratings when sky high during this part of the show. . so many wonderful performances, multiples storylines and motivations .. pretty complex .. .the Leviathians will certainly be a let down . . . Magda make me a drink!
Julia99

IluvBarnabas

Re: I LUV Those Collins Kids!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 02:54:41 PM »
Oh yeah, we were all treated to some deliciously nasty sibling rivalry between Quentin, Edward, Judith and Carl.

I especially love their bickering [spoiler]when Judith is reading Grandmama's will:

Judith: I spent my days and night caring for her I am the only one who did that!

Quentin: And you did it out of the goodness of your heart I'm sure.

Judith: I did it because I loved her.

Quentin: Edward I think I'm gonna cry!

Edward: Oh shut up!

Throw in Edward calling Judith a selfish old-maid, her warning him to be careful what he said to her to Quentin's wisecrack they can all go upstairs and watch her write a check[/spoiler] this was a great episode and great example how much these dysfunctional siblings really must have distrusted  and despised each other.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 12:27:15 AM »
Oh yeah, we were all treated to some deliciously nasty sibling rivalry between Quentin, Edward, Judith and Carl.

I especially love their bickering ... this was a great episode and great example how much these dysfunctional siblings really must have distrusted  and despised each other.

Yes the lines were so great. Sharp sarcastic zingers meant to wound deep. Spoilt rich brats to be sure -- albeit brats in their late twenties to probably late thirties.

And its telling later on that when <tiptoeing around spoiler here> two of them "die" -- you can tell the others have no feeling except what they feel its "dutiful" to show the world.  Shades of "The Little Foxes" (anyone NOT familiar with that Bette Davis movie?)

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 05:46:44 AM »
I'd have to agree that out of all the Collins siblings on the show, that the 1897 bunch were the best! They had the coolest character interactions and best one line or more quips, acid sharp tongues, and the brains to back it all up! (Except for maybe Carl, but the ol' boy could come through sometimes.)

In fact, if I had to rate the siblings on the show, from memory, I'd do it like this:

1. 1897--Judith, Edward, Quentin, Carl
2. 1840--Gabriel & Quentin
3. 1966--Liz & Roger
4. 1795--Barnabas & Sarah
5. 1897--Jamison & Nora

I don't think there were any other Collins siblings on the show. That last one makes me wonder--did anyone mention Nora in later years like 1960s? I don't ever remember her being mentioned before.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 06:03:28 AM »
I love everything about 1897. (It definitely ranks as my favorite DS storyline.) But when it comes to sibling rivalry, Liz and Roger's arguments were always some of the best scenes on the show - probably because they were so evenly matched in the sharp tongue/wicked reproach department that neither truly got the upper hand over the other very often. It was mostly a draw between those two, and great fun to watch.  [santa_thumb]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 07:01:48 PM »
Shades of "The Little Foxes" (anyone NOT familiar with that Bette Davis movie?)

Never seen the flick, but read the play in college.  GREAT play!   [santa_thumb]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 09:21:09 PM »
when it comes to sibling rivalry, Liz and Roger's arguments were always some of the best scenes on the show - probably because they were so evenly matched in the sharp tongue/wicked reproach department that neither truly got the upper hand over the other very often. It was mostly a draw between those two, and great fun to watch.  [santa_thumb]

I too loved it when Roger and Elizabeth got into it. I remember the little temper tantrum Roger threw when he learned [spoiler]that Elizabeth had offered the west wing for Burke and Vicki to live in after they were married. He was FURIOUS at her, but Elizabeth refused to back down.[/spoiler] I think Roger was always irked by the fact that Elizabeth always had some respect for Burke, even when they were at odds. Roger would never think of Burke as anything but an enemy, and wasn't happy that his big sister didn't share his feelings about that.

But you always knew that despite their quarreling, Roger and Elizabeth did love each other. I never got that impression with Judith, Edward, Quentin and Carl.  Of all the elder Collins siblings of 1897, I think Judith and Edward MIGHT have had a bit, albeit not much, but at least one spark of sibling fondness. However neither of them had much of a sense of humor.
That's why I think that is why they were never very close with Carl, the joker of the family, or Quentin with that vicious, wisecracking wit. Carl and Quentin MIGHT have been close at one time since they both loved to be amused, except I recall Carl saying something to the effect that Quentin had been a bully when they were children.