Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0040  (Read 1510 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0040
« on: August 27, 2011, 05:24:21 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0040
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 05:39:18 AM »
GO BILL, GO!  And Sam Two leaks the first bit of information to Malloy... that Sam's all that stands between Roger and a prison sentence.   I really like how Bill Malloy goes about all this, owning the room, voice dripping with irony.   Good coffee, Sam!!  Nice and STRONG!!"   Big smile...!!!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 06:48:02 PM »
Maybe Sam really does make a good cup of coffee, who knows.

Bill mentions that he and Sam have known each other for thirty years. That means they met in 1936!  [ghost_huh]

It wouldn't be done now to get Sam drunk for information, but Bill gets what he came for as Sam reveals just a hint of what has been tormenting him all these years.

FAREWELL, COLLEEN KELLY AS SILENT SUSIE, THE OTHER COLLINSPORT INN WAITRESS!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 09:50:10 PM »
Maybe Sam really does make a good cup of coffee, who knows.

Bill mentions that he and Sam have known each other for thirty years. That means they met in 1936!  [ghost_huh]

It wouldn't be done now to get Sam drunk for information, but Bill gets what he came for as Sam reveals just a hint of what has been tormenting him all these years.

FAREWELL, COLLEEN KELLY AS SILENT SUSIE, THE OTHER COLLINSPORT INN WAITRESS!

LOLed re Sam's amazing coffee.   I thought about them knowing each other in the 30s, too... as children?  I wonder what the Depression was like for Collinsport.   No one would get a guy drunk for information?   I don't see why, in this situation.   Bill's a nice guy, but tough and determined.

Susie, we hardly knew ye.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 09:55:55 PM »
I hadn't thought about what the Depression might have been like in Collinsport. I suppose the Collinses could have become bootleggers to supplement their declining income from the sardine fisheries. Roger and Elizabeth (as well as Sam and Bill) would have been kids back then. [spoiler]But I suppose Jamison would have been the Master of Collinwood in those days--and it's certainly not hard for me to imagine Quentin's nephew as a rum-runner!  [ghost_grin] [/spoiler]

Thanks for the idea, MT--it has certainly enlivened a pretty dull workday.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 07:51:33 PM »
Carolyn plots to get Burke to take her to Bangor.  Apparently she likes the idea of people seeing her with Burke and going to Bangor must be a big deal in the relationship department. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 10:13:27 PM »
Food and or drink comment of the day: In the space of a few sentences regarding Bill’s arrival at the cottage, coffee is mentioned seven times. Seven!
In Burke’s phone conversation with Carolyn, he tells her he’s leaving for Bangor in the morning. There’s chit chat about her ring. She asks him what time he’s leaving for Bangor. He tells her 1:00. She then tells him that she’ll meet him in the hotel at 1:30. Huh???
Finally, Bill is tired of coffee.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 09:51:46 PM »
Somewhere along the line Sam mentions that he comes from Connecticut.  I think it's in a later episode, so it may be that at this point he's still a Collinsport native.  (I can't remember it ever becoming relevant to a plot line, so I'm not spoilerizing this.)  But, assuming Sam's already from Connecticut now, did he move up to Collinsport thirty years ago, or did he maybe come to the artist's colony a few times in the late 1930s and then decide to move up to Maine full time?  And what did Sam do during World War II?

Sam's awfully easily plied with his own drink.  Why hasn't Burke tried that?

Where was Maggie today?  She wasn't at home, and she wasn't at work.  I don't think we were told in yesterday's episode where she was, but between watching yesterday's and today's episodes I've had a four-day power outage, so I could easily have forgotten something.

I didn't think much of Carolyn chasing after Burke that way.  Then I tried to imagine it with the sexes reversed - a guy leaving something behind so a girl would call him - and it didn't seem so cheap and stupid, so I decided I was being sexist.  Or else it's just that I don't like Burke much.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 12:35:09 AM »
Welcome back, Lydia! I hope your power problems are straightened out now.

I've sort of lost track of Maggie's whereabouts, and I don't remember her going anywhere but home and the diner and the BW in these early days.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 12:25:41 PM »
Thanks, DarkLady.  My power problems are sort of straightened out, I guess.  My cat died halfway through the outage.  I think she was on her way out anyway, but the two events will always be linked together in my mind.  I'm glad I skipped the Fest in order to be with her.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 12:37:12 PM »
That's awful, Lydia... I'm sorry you have to go through this, and glad she wasn't alone.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 02:01:20 PM »
Thanks, Magnus.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 05:07:09 PM »
Oh, Lydia, I'm so sorry about your cat! We lost both of ours (ages 16 and 18) in the spring, so I know what you're going through.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 06:26:18 AM »
Roger's wound moved lower down, the sketch of Burke moved onto a bigger piece of paper, the phone booth moved back into the restaurant, Bill made a move to get Sam to talk, and Carolyn is on the move, period.

Food and or drink comment of the day: In the space of a few sentences regarding Bill’s arrival at the cottage, coffee is mentioned seven times. Seven!
Finally, Bill is tired of coffee.
Hilarious!

She asks him what time he’s leaving for Bangor. He tells her 1:00. She then tells him that she’ll meet him in the hotel at 1:30. Huh???
I heard her say 12:30.

My sympathy for your loss, Lydia.