Author Topic: The 1991 DS Series  (Read 924 times)

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
The 1991 DS Series
« on: June 10, 2012, 05:23:50 AM »
My very thoughtful fiance (who is also a DS fan) recorded the 1991 series that was shown on the Chiller channel a little while ago. This was the first time I saw the '91 series. My opinion? I liked it. It wasn't same as the original series (nor should it be,) but it stood on it's own well enough and it kept my fiance and I's attention throughout.

I have to admit, my favorite part was when they went back in time. And I loved Natalie DuPres!

That is all. lol

Love and hugs,

Heather

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: The 1991 DS Series
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 01:12:57 PM »
Count me as a fan as well. Some of the 1991 series worked quite well, even surpassing the original at times. Veronica Lauren is great as Sarah. Julianna McCarthy manages to make Abigail even more venomous than Clarice did. I like Jim Fyfe but I thought that the reconceived Willie clashed with the tone of the rest of the series. However, the idea of him taking Barnabas white water rafting is something I'm truly sorry I never got to see.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 04:48:09 PM »
I saw the '91 series. My opinion? I liked it. It wasn't same as the original series (nor should it be,) but it stood on it's own well enough and it kept my fiance and I's attention throughout.

Great to see that the show has gained another fan, Heather.  [ghost_smiley]  And now you can appreciate the '91 DS slideshow.  [ghost_wink]

even surpassing the original at times

I remember that when I first said that back in the '90s, it was practically treated like heresy by some - but I honestly believe it - and it's nice to see that more and more people are also saying it.

However, the idea of him taking Barnabas white water rafting is something I'm truly sorry I never got to see.

Can you imagine?!  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 05:13:17 PM »
I'm actually picturing it right now!!! [ghost_cheesy] [ghost_smiley] [ghost_cheesy]

Hope there would have been enough money in the budget for stunt doubles!
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 05:16:15 PM »
as a stand alone series it really does nothing for me.

if it weren't for it's connection to OS mythology it wouldn't interest me in the least.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 06:57:42 PM »
I remember liking Jean Simmons--the only actress who could come close to JB's excellence--and Barbara Steele very much. I thought Jim Fyfe was all wrong as Willie, and certainly totally wrong to play a blacksmith in 1975.

I thought Ben Cross was adequate, but I can't think of anyone else besides JF who could do justice to the role. And that includes Johnny Depp.

In the scene where Barn gives Vicki the music box, he tells her, "I was born dancing the minuet." Well, in the first place, Josette's theme isn't a minuet, and in the second place, that's not what they end up dancing.

Oh, and Roy Thinnes was fantastic as the not-at-all-Reverend Trask!