Author Topic: random 1897 comments ...  (Read 4129 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: random 1897 comments ...
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2005, 11:47:04 AM »
quote from Misa
When Barnabas first entered the old house he asked Josette why she hadn't protected him, after all he was a Collins, They must not have had the idea to make her his love interest yet.

Misa....huh?? I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying. Could you please elaborate?

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2005, 01:31:42 AM »
Misa....huh?? I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying. Could you please elaborate?

I remember that quote from Barnabas, It was a beautiful scene with JF at his BEST. It was very early Barnie just after, or maybe before, Elizabeth Stoddard give Barnabas permission to live at the old house. Barnabas goes to the old house, which is in terrible shape. cobwebs, broken panes etc. and gives a marvelous solilique. I think he even stares at Josette's portrait but can't remember entirely. Thinking about that speech it was beautiful but not quite in sync with what happened afterwards as in the Josette reference. Didn't seem lover-like but maybe family oriented, like maybe she/Josette was a relation.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2005, 02:34:41 AM »
Thinking about that speech it was beautiful but not quite in sync with what happened afterwards as in the Josette reference. Didn't seem lover-like but maybe family oriented, like maybe she/Josette was a relation.

It could also be that the writers didn't want to give away too much too soon, preferring to keep Barnabas and Josette's true relationship less defined until he comes face to face with Maggie and that plot takes off.

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2005, 07:30:13 AM »
Thinking about that speech it was beautiful but not quite in sync with what happened afterwards as in the Josette reference. Didn't seem lover-like but maybe family oriented, like maybe she/Josette was a relation.
It could also be that the writers didn't want to give away too much too soon, preferring to keep Barnabas and Josette's true relationship less defined until he comes face to face with Maggie and that plot takes off.
I have read a bit about this. When J. Frid first came on DS it was only suppost to be for a short term role.
Barnabas was suppost to be killed off.
But the character of Barnabas became so popular so fast, that that idea was thrown out and they came
up with what we ended up seeing.
Julianka

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2005, 06:37:21 PM »
When J. Frid first came on DS it was only suppost to be for a short term role. But the character of Barnabas became so popular so fast, that that idea was thrown out and they came up with what we ended up seeing.

That's very true. But from the start Barnabas was slated to be on 13 weeks and the idea was that he would be killed off as a result of Maggie's kidnapping. And the Barnabas/Josette relationship was a major element in that plot from the very moment Maggie is first seen in Josette's room in Ep #236, only slightly more than a month into Barnabas' initial storyline and, according to Frid's own letters to his mom, long before the decision was made to extend Barnabas' run past the initial 13 weeks.  [hall2_smiley]

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2005, 07:17:03 PM »
To try and clarify my quote: David was talking to Barnabas, and he told Barnabas that "Josette's ghost always protects the members of the Collins family" Later, when Barnabas is in the Old House he looks at Josette's portrait and says "I was a Collins, why didn't you protect me?" then he says something like "Why did you let them make me into something that even my Father, blah, blah, blah." or something like this, I don't remember this part of his speech as well. However, I still don't think that this would make sense if they were alive at the same time. David is talking about her ghost, unless the writers were planning that he didn't become a vampire until after she died. Then perhaps her ghost could have protected him. If this was the case they changed it later, when Barnabas tells Vicki and Carolyn the story of Josette's death. (He was obviously a vampire and he was chasing her. It even sounded like he may have drained her before she was able to throw herself off the cliff, "Bloodless body".)

It is sightly unfortunate that the storylines weren't more true to each other. But, they were writing them over a long period of time, and there were 5 episodes a week. Continuity often isn't very good even in weekly shows that have been on for 5 years, but lack of continuity is one of my pet peeves, so I always keep the parts that I like the best, and ignore the changes, or the original part that I don't like as much as the later change.

I hope that this makes more sense.

Misa  [hall2_grin]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2005, 08:14:21 PM »
I remember that quote from Barnabas,  Barnabas goes to the old house...I think he even stares at Josette's portrait but can't remember entirely.

Ooooh, so Barnabas doesn't actually say it to Josette, but to her portrait?? Thanks Stefan [hall2_wink]

Patti
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2005, 08:40:16 PM »
I missed more "normal" scenes in 1897, such as ... playing cards...

Evan, Tim, Judith, and (most importantly) Minerva played cards.  [wink2]

Until I rewatched Ep #863 today I'd completely forgotten that Edward is also seen playing cards with Judith.  [hall2_smiley]

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2005, 12:15:23 AM »

I guess. If they knew don't think they gave JF a clue as Barnie's classic rendition did not seem lover-like as per what eventually did happen. But, I'm sure by that time the writers were in a scramble trying to figure out just WHAT to do with Frid and Barnabas and may have been winging it as they went along. Typical soap opera stuff.