Author Topic: #1040/1041: Robservations 07/29/03: Quentin in Dutch With the Law  (Read 1281 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
1040 - Louis Edmonds does a scary intro, his voice delicious.

Bruno hangs up the phone. Was that wise? asks Angelique.  Perhaps I'm not interested in being wise, he retorts. I told you, she says, there's no proof in that journal against Quentin; it's simply the opinion of a dead man. Do you want to find your sister's murderer or not? he asks. Of course I do, she says, but I wonder if YOU do. Why would I call the police if I didn't? he asks. All the police will do, she says, is ask Quentin a lot of embarrassing questions. It's going to be a bit more than embarrassing, vows Bruno, because the police will REALLY investigate, like you said you would and never did. And you're convinced that this investigation will prove that Quentin is the murderer, she says. I'm depending on it, he assures her. You see, she says, you don't really want to find who Angelique's murderer is, you simply want to destroy Quentin--it's revenge, not justice, you want. He takes a cigarette from his case and says "Precisely." I can't understand why anyone would ever want to destroy Quentin, she says. My answer wouldn't be fit for a lady's ears, he says. If you're such a gentleman as all that, she says, why don't you offer me a drink?  Delighted, he says--does that mean you don't completely disapprove of what I've done? While he prepares her drink, his back is to her, she picks up a blue tie belonging to him, and says, I neither approve nor disapprove, I simply thinks you're wasting your time. Is that what you really think? asks Bruno, handing her a drink. Would I say so if it weren't? she counters. I don't know, he says, I get a very strange feeling from you this evening--you seem very aloof, yet very much involved, as if you knew exactly what you were going to do every second of the time. She sips her drink and says, I try to remain as unemotional as possible. Maybe I'm confusing you with Angelique again, he suggests--you know, she was able to do that, be seemingly very cool and distant, yet at the same time, manipulating the rest of us, as if we were puppets. That was Angelique, she says, I'm much different, remember?  So you say, he says, but then there are times when... I hope you're not going to say the obvious, she says. No, he responds. You know the reason you could never hope to compete with Angelique, she says--she was always far more fascinating, intelligent... I think you admire her almost as much as the rest of us did, comments Bruno. Perhaps even more, she says, yes, much, much more. She sips her drink.

9:30 - Collinwood - Roger exits the drawing room and is about to go upstairs when Quentin comes in. Ah, the wanderer returns! quips Roger grandly.  I don't need any of your comments, snaps Quentin. It's a pity you chose one of the more interesting nights in this dreary house to exercise your habit of dashing out into the night, says Roger--you might have been amused--then again, you might not have been amused. What about? demands Quentin impatiently. Your lodger from the nearby cottage paid a neighborly call this evening, says a grinning Roger. Bruno--what did he want? asks Quentin. "To make love to your wife--unless I'm mistaken," reveals Roger with obvious pleasure
--of course he was roundly rebuked by the "good" Mrs. Maggie Collins. Are you making this up? asks Quentin in a dangerously soft voice. You credit me with imagination far beyond my modest scope, says Roger.  Where's Maggie now? asks Quentin. Upstairs, says Roger, probably devising a new method of maddening you so you can dash out of the house again. Did it ever occur to you that you are not very funny? asks Quentin, irritated. No, says Roger, it hadn't--by the way, Bruno made his inevitable threat that the stones of our beloved Collinwood would soon be crashing down around our heads, so perhaps the activities of the evening have only just begun. Roger, having lit the match, heads upstairs. Quentin goes into the drawing room and stands by the fire.

Bruno plays Angelique's theme, looking peaceful and pleased with himself. There's a knock at the door.  Come in! calls Bruno.  It's Inspector Hamilton, who says, "I believe you wish to report a murder." In a moment, says Bruno--it would be a sacrilege to interrupt a beautiful piece of music like this--I wrote it myself--it's called "Ode to Angelique"--do you like it?--perhaps you know the lady who inspired it--the late Angelique Collins? I should warn you that I don't enjoy playing games, says Hamilton. Nor do I, Bruno assures him--that last question was very serious--did you know the late Angelique Stokes Collins? Slightly, everyone in Collinsport did, answers the Inspector--why?  It's her murder I want to report, says Bruno. Mrs. Collins died of a stroke, says Hamilton. According to whom? asks Bruno. If I remember, it was Dr. Longworth who signed the death certificate, says Hamilton. Ah, yes, Dr. Longworth--interesting fellow, wasn't he? asks Bruno--apparently a little more complex than the rest of us suspected. He chuckles. Would you mind getting to the point? asks Hamilton. Of course not, says Bruno, who holds up the copy of the page from the late, lamented Cyrus' journal--I believe it comes directly to the point.  He returns to playing Angelique's music while the Inspector reads--do you find it incredible? asks Bruno. Very, says Hamilton.  Bruno laughs--I don't mean the journal, he says, I mean my music. Hamilton looks at him with an ugly, annoyed expression on his face, and reads the page again.

Collinwood - Maggie comes downstairs and finds Quentin in the drawing room. Roger told me you were back, she says. Yes, he says, sounding distant--what about this nonsense with Bruno this evening? Nothing but a drunken, stupid incident, she reports--Quentin, we have far more important things to talk about. According to Roger, says Quentin, Bruno was very rude to you--is that true? Before you left this evening, she reminds him, you made a very serious accusation.  I don't want to talk about that, insists Quentin. "Do you really think I indulge in witchcraft? she demands. Unresponsive, he just looks at her. Do you?--answer me, she commands. Turning his back, he orders, answer the knock at the door. She does--it's Hamilton, who bids her good evening and asks for Quentin. Quentin identifies himself.  Hamilton comes in, apologizing for the inconvenience--can you spare a few moments? I'm afraid I can't, says Quentin rudely. Then I'm afraid I must insists, says the Inspector--you see, I have some very important questions to ask about the death of the first Mrs. Collins. Quentin and Maggie exchange glances.

The trio stands in the drawing room.  Mr. Collins, says Hamilton, if you want you attorney present... MY attorney? asks Quentin, why? To instruct you as to whether or not you should answer the questions I'm going to ask you, says Hamilton.  Will charges be made? asks Maggie.  I'm here for clarification of a few facts that have just come to my attention, explains the Inspector. Concerning? asks Quentin. The circumstances surrounding your first wife's death, says Hamilton.  Angelique died of a stroke, says Quentin--Dr. Longworth signed the certificate. I know, says Hamilton--you were a very close friend of Dr. Longworth's, weren't you, I mean before the recent... Yes, interrupts Quentin, he was my best friend, as a matter of fact, why do you ask? Could you verify a sample of Dr. Longworth's handwriting? asks Hamilton, holding up the copy of the incriminating page Bruno gave him. Of course, says Quentin. Do you recognize this? Hamilton asks, holding it out (white writing on back paper). Yes, says Quentin. Perhaps you'd care to read it, suggests Hamilton, it's a Photostat of a page from his journal. Thank you, says Quentin, taking the paper. He reads it, frowning, walking, then stops. The hand holding the page drops to his side. What is it? asks Maggie. Cyrus says that he falsified the death certificate, answers Quentin--Angelique was murdered. From the doorway, Roger repeats, "Murdered?"  Mr. Roger Collins? queries Hamilton. Yes, says Roger, what sort of nonsense was this?  He even gives the method of murder, says Quentin--a hat pin stuck in the base of the skull, causing instant death. NO! blurts out Maggie. Did he name who the murderer was? asks Roger. In a way, yes, says Quentin. Who? asks Roger (doesn't he look weird)? He admits it's his own opinion, says Quentin, but he feels that, nevertheless, it's a very good one. Quentin, says Maggie--who was it?  "Me, of course," says Quentin with a crooked smile. That's not possible, she protests. Hamilton takes back the paper and says, if you will all excuse me, I'd like to ask a few questions about the seance during which the death took place. Absurd! pronounces Roger, proceeding on the opinion of a dead man and one who proved to be less than perfect in the end!  All I want is a few facts, says the Inspector to Roger--you were at the seance, weren't you? Yes, I was, answers Roger, why? Then perhaps after I talk to Mrs. Collins' husband, you'll permit me to ask YOU a few questions, as well, says the Inspector.  Before Roger can answer, Maggie says, please, allow me to speak with my husband alone. Hamilton suggests to Roger, the two of us can go into the foyer. Certainly, says Roger. Left alone, Maggie asks Quentin, should you call Chris or one of his partners to...  Why? asks Quentin abruptly. To advise you, says Maggie, before you say anything.  Why should I need advice? he demands. Because... she begins.  He fills in the blank himself--because you believe I murdered Angelique. No, she says, I didn't say that. If I'm innocent, he asks, why should I need legal advice before answering any questions? I just don't want anything to happen to you, she responds, her voice trembling. Are you sure that's the reason? he asks--this isn't the first time you've considered the possibility of my having murdered Angelique. I never thought you did and I don't now, she insists, tears in her voice at his cruel accusation. He walks past her and pulls opens the double doors--Inspector, he says, I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Hamilton and Roger enter the drawing room, as does Angelique. "Oh, we have a visitor!" she says, smiling. Quentin introduces her to Hamilton as Alexis, Angelique's twin sister. No need to tell me that--the resemblance is remarkable, says Hamilton. The Inspector is here to ask me some questions regarding Angelique's death, explains Quentin. Looking stricken, Alexis says, "I see."  Of course you won't be questioned, says Roger--you weren't here at the time of the seance. However, says Hamilton, there might be a few things I might like to speak to Miss Stokes about. She knows nothing about any of this, insists Quentin. That's not quite true, is it, Miss Stokes? asks Hamilton. I don't know what you mean, she says. He holds out the Photostat and asks, do you recognize this?  She glances it over--where did you get it? she asks. Where I got it isn't important, says Hamilton-- what is important is that you, Miss Stokes, have the original journal from which it was taken--am I right? She stares at him, trembling.  Quentin's eyes narrow as he looks at her.

Yes, admits Angelique, I have Cyrus' journal. Why didn't you tell anyone? asks Quentin. Because I know that none of what Cyrus said was true, she replies. Do you consider yourself the best judge of that? asks Hamilton. In this case, yes, she says, because I am positive that Quentin could never have murdered Angelique. On what do you base this assumption? the Inspector asks. Because Quentin loved her more than anything in the world, and she loved him, says Angelique. Hearing this, Maggie gives a little start.  Angelique continues--there were never two people who loved each other more--tell him, Quentin that what I say is true!  I'm more interested in knowing how you got hold of this journal, says Quentin--certainly Cyrus didn't give it to you.  I'm  not sure I want to tell you, says Ang. I want to know very much where you got it and how, says Quentin angrily. She looks at him, turns away, doesn't answer. Hamilton reveals to Quentin, a Photostat of that page was given to me by Bruno Hess--it was he who called the police. Roger listens intently. Bruno, says Quentin as if it's a dirty word--I should have known he had a hand in this. Cyrus left the journal with him, says Ang, I bought it hoping to keep it secret.
He's only out to cause trouble, says Quentin--well he won't be causing trouble much longer. Mr. Collins, I don't think there's that much cause for excitement, says Hamilton.  Angelique smiles slightly. You don't know how much I've had to take from that man, says Quentin, barely controlling his anger--Inspector, I'm sorry, but I won't answer questions of anyone sent to this house by Mr. Hess. It would be better to get this over with now, Maggie advises Quentin.  I'd like to get it over with, all right, threatens Quentin--with Bruno and my bare hands!  It's all my fault, laments Angelique, Inspector, would you mind if I spoke to Quentin alone?  She leads Quentin into the foyer and says, there's no reason for you to be so angry, Bruno isn't worth it!  She closes the double doors on the other three and privately tells Quentin, it would all be over with in just a moment if you would just answer the Inspector's questions--you have nothing to fear, I'm sure of that--Bruno only wanted to cause you trouble--I'm sure he's sitting at home having a good laugh, knowing how angry you must be. He won't be laughing much longer, says Quentin, who bolts for the door.  "Quentin, no--don't!" Angelique insists, but he's gone. Angelique closes the door and grins, very proud of herself. She goes upstairs.

Drawing room - What a volatile man your husband is, Hamilton remarks to Maggie.  Sometimes, she admits. Roger adds, the subject of Bruno is particularly goading to him--for reasons I won't go into now.  Maggie shoots Roger a look of disgust and fury, then opens the double doors--Quentin, the Inspector is...  No one is there.  Where did they go? asks Hamilton. I don't know, says Maggie, unless he's gone up to the bedroom--I'll go see. Tell him, says Hamilton, that I'm very anxious to speak to him. Yes, of course, says Maggie, and hurries upstairs. Quentin may have headed for Bruno's cottage, suggests Roger. I certainly hope not, says Hamilton, but since I have a few more things to discuss with Mr. Hess, I had better take another look. I don't think that would be a bad idea, says Roger calculatingly--not a bad idea at all.

Cottage - Bruno, where did you get a copy of that journal, demands Quentin--you stole it, didn't you? I hardly think that you're in a position...begins Bruno.  Quentin grabs his arm and whirls him around, warning, you aren't going to get away with it this time. He forces the struggling Bruno into a headlock and orders, you're going to leave this house--tonight!--you hear that?--tonight!  He tightens his grip on Bruno's throat. Stop it! chokes out Bruno. Quentin gives him a push--"You're not worth killing!" he declares.  Bruno, nursing his throat, abruptly begins to choke in earnest, even though Quentin is no where near him. He pulls at some invisible force applying pressure to his throat, gasping, "Please, I can't breathe!"  (then how come you're talking?)
We see a statue (Beethoven?) from Bruno's cottage; tied around its throat is Bruno's stolen tie.  Angelique is strangling the statue, tightening brutally.  Bruno falls to the floor. Quentin laughs at what he perceives to be an act on Bruno's part; when the pianist falls to the floor, he applauds. "Very dramatic!" pronounces Quentin, "Now suppose you get up and take a bow."  Receiving no response, he kneels and asks, what's the matter, Bruno?  Realizing something is very wrong, he grabs Bruno's lapels, shakes him, calls his name. Inspector Hamilton enters the cottage at that very moment.
"Mr. Collins," says Hamilton, "I hope for your sake that he isn't dead."

NOTES: I like Inspector Hamilton, he's cool, and one of the few cops on DS who actually seemed to know what he was doing. This actor does a nice job.

So, Angelique's plot is to have Quentin arrested for Bruno's murder, since there's no proof he's responsible for her own. Rather mundane--but how does she expect to get him back then? Does she even want him back, or have her original plans changed? And was it my imagination, or was Roger just a tad too interested (and nervous) in learning who Cyrus fingered as responsible for Angelique's murder?

As always, Roger is droll and nasty, a fun character to watch interact with others. Does he have a dark secret?

Angelique not only kills strangers, she is willing to murder former lovers to get what she wants. How cold she is! We can safely assume she and Bruno got naked together on more than one occasion, so her callous attitude toward him is really chilling. At least if she'd done away with him in her conventional manner, via the hug and kiss of death, he would have had something nice to remember her by in the afterlife.  Now she's murdered him and perfectly framed Quentin. Such a bitch!

Quentin blundered into this one, and it was all engineered beautifully by Angelique. She fired him up and sent him running to Bruno, and Roger helped it along by suggesting Hamilton go to Bruno's cottage--and voila, the Inspector has caught Quentin apparently strangling a man who had made a recent pass at his wife and was trying to frame HIM for murder.

This is actually pretty good, but once again, Angelique's motives are murky. Apparently she believes Quentin DID kill her, but if he purportedly loved her as much as she claims, why would he do such a thing?  And why would she suspect him, if things were that great between them?

1041 - The dummy portraying Bruno wavers as Quentin kneels beside it. Inspector Hamilton says, I hope, for your sake, that he isn't dead.

Quentin gazes up at the Inspector and rises to his feet. Is the man going to be all right? asks Hamilton. I don't know, answers Quentin. Suppose we find out, says the cop, kneeling to check the body.  Standing, Hamilton says, "He's dead, Mr. Collins."  He can't be, says Quentin. But he is, says Hamilton--now suppose you tell me what happened. I don't know, says Quentin--I mean, I can't understand. You mean you found him like this when you arrived? asks the Inspector. No, says Quentin. He was alive, suggests the inspector, and you quarreled with him and killed him. NO! says Quentin. How did he die? asks Hamilton. I don't know how he died, says Quentin, shaken, he just suddenly began to choke, I thought it was an act. A man doesn't suddenly begin to choke to death for no reason at all, says Hamilton. Listen to me, says Quentin, I'm telling you that I did not kill this man. Perhaps you didn't, says the Inspector, but the fact is, Mr. Bruno Hess is dead, isn't he, and the further fact is, that when I talked to him earlier this evening, he seemed in excellent health. Quentin tries to speak, but Hamilton goes on, "And while we're dealing with facts, Mr. Collins, you were, in fact, angry enough to kill him with your bare hands, you said so yourself."  Quentin admits, I was angry, but I'm not responsible for this man's death, that's all I can tell you. That's not enough, says Hamilton. Listen to me! says Quentin. I advise you to listen to me, says Hamilton, I'm placing you under arrest--the charge is suspicion of murder--it is my duty to tell you that from this moment on, anything you say may be used against you--if you wish, you may call your attorney. You can bet I want to call him, says Quentin, and picks up the phone.  I derive no pleasure from having to do this, says the Inspector--I appreciate your position in this matter, and hope, for your sake, that I'm wrong.

Angelique enters Maggie's room, opens the top drawer of the dresser and leaves the ascot-wrapped statue there. She grins and leaves the room.

Drawing room - I can't believe you're arresting Quentin on suspicion of murder, Inspector, says Maggie. It's all right, says Quentin--I've talked to my lawyer and they're working on my release. If your husband is innocent, says Hamilton, there's nothing to worry about. Quentin, I don't know what to do or say to help, says Maggie, upset. There's nothing you or anyone else can do until we determine how Bruno died, says Quentin. From the doorway, Angelique gasps--Bruno's dead? I'm afraid so, says Hamilton. I don't believe it, how did it happen? asks Ang. That's what we intend to find out when we question Mr. Collins, says Hamilton. The Inspector thinks I did it, says Quentin. Angelique feigns surprise--oh, no! The charge is only suspicion of murder, Hamilton reminds Quentin, I haven't stated flatly that you did it, because I don't know, but I did discover you standing over the body. "I don't believe that Quentin could have murdered anyone!" says Angelique defiantly. I sincerely hope you're right, says the Inspector--I must admit, his position is rather shaky. Angelique walks to the other side of the room. Shall we be going? asks Hamilton. May I have one last request before I go? inquires Quentin. Depends on what it is, says the Inspector. I'd like to take some things with me, says Q, if I'm going to be the guest of State overnight. Maggie looks stricken. I'd like to go up to my room, adds Quentin. By all means, but I'll have to accompany you, says Hamilton--you do understand. Of course, says Quentin, do you want to handcuff me?  I assume, or hope, there's no reason why you should try to escape. Says Hamilton. Quentin slips his hand briefly in Maggie's and says, I'll be down in a few minutes. Maggie looks ill.  I'm so sorry, Maggie, says Angelique.  I just wish I'd known he intended to go to the cottage, says Maggie--Quentin was in no shape to face Bruno. You don't believe Quentin really did kill Bruno? asks Ang--do you?  I don't know, says Maggie--Hamilton says Bruno was alive when he got to the cottage, now he's dead.--it does look very bad for Quentin. Angelique grins.

Upstairs, Quentin assures Hamilton, I'll only be a minute. The cop says he has plenty of time. Quentin grabs a suitcase from under the bed, then goes to the dresser and starts gathering grooming supplies. Is there nothing else you'd like to tell me? asks Hamilton--it might be some help to us later on.
Quentin pulls open the drawer and finds Angelique's little gift. He holds it up. Hamilton again asks, "What about it, Mr. Collins?"  Quentin puts the evidence back in the drawer, turns, and says curtly, "No, I have nothing more to say--and even if I did, I'm quite sure you wouldn't believe a word of it."

Quentin, followed by Hamilton, heads downstairs. Quentin looks at Maggie for a long moment.
Daniel will want to know where you've gone, says Maggie. Yes, I suppose he will, says Quentin evenly. What will I tell him? she asks. That I've been called away on business, replies Quentin. (and the newspapers won't be full of this for the child to read?)  All right, I will, she says--why are you looking at me that way?  Just wondering what you think about all this, he says.  I don't know, she admits--it's all happened so suddenly. Suddenly?--I don't think so, he says. What do you mean? she asks. I'm not sure I know what I mean, says Quentin, as the Inspector listens closely--I want to think about a lot of things. Yes, she agrees distantly, that's how I feel, too. I'm ready when you are, Inspector, says Quentin.  The two men leave. Quentin looks back at the very unhappy Maggie one more time.

Outside, Hamilton points out to Quentin, you asked your wife what she really thought of this, and what an odd comment that was--the implication was that she might think you guilty--do you believe she does? Why don't you ask her? suggests Quentin. Perhaps I shall, says the Inspector, and they leave.

Police station - Barnabas is gazing through the glass jar of a water cooler when Quentin enters and asks, who told you I was here?  Maggie, of course, says Barn. Oh, chuckles Quentin bitterly. You look as if that surprises you, says Barnabas. Nothing surprises me anymore, says Quentin. If there's anything I can do, any way I can help, offers Barnabas.  No, Quentin assures him, the lawyers are taking care of everything, arranging bail for me in the morning. That won't be the end of it, says Barnabas, there's still the matter of proving your innocence. Do you think me  innocent? asks Quentin. Don't be absurd, says Barnabas--of course I do. You must have a lot of faith in me, says Quentin, because the Inspector has a good case against me--when he got to the cottage, Bruno was alive; when the Inspector arrived, Bruno was dead, and I was standing over the body. Have you any idea what killed Bruno? asks Barnabas. Yes, says Quentin, I think I found the murder weapon just before I left the house--Bruno was killed by witchcraft--I found a small voodoo doll, around the doll's neck was a scarf (?) that belonged to Bruno--someone choked him to death from a distance, someone who knew I'd be with him at that time. Where did you find these things? asks Barn. In my wife's dresser, reveals Quentin. Barnabas, shocked, can only muster up one word--"Maggie." Obviously, we have been wrong about my dear little wife, says Quentin. Barnabas looks at him, stands, and says, if you think for a moment Maggie could be capable of killing someone. . ..I'm ready to believe anything, answers Quentin--Barnabas, you seem to forget this is the third time I have found evidence of witchcraft in that house--and each time, it was linked to Maggie. Quentin! says Barnabas, Maggie is not a witch, she loves you very much--now, are your lawyers sure they can get you out of here by morning? Yes, says Quentin. I'm going to be out of town all day tomorrow, says Barnabas, but I want to see you in the evening--if we work together, we will be able to prove who killed Bruno and who has been wrecking your marriage. All right, agrees Quentin, I'll be at Collinwood all day and night tomorrow--I'll see you at your convenience. Hamilton enters--the coroner has finished the autopsy on Bruno, says the Inspector, I will have his report within the hour. Quentin and Barnabas exchange glances of concern.

Collinwood - Our course was clear, Barnabas, rants Julia--if we had destroyed the body we found at Stokes' cottage, then Angelique would have been destroyed, too, and none of this would have happened--and Quentin wouldn't be in jail now because Bruno would still be alive!  She's so annoyed with Barn, she actually stamps her foot. Barnabas agrees that "we" (what's this we stuff?) were wrong, but there's no point in going over that now. I know, says Julia, but if we destroy the body now, we'll be destroying the actual murderer. And signing Quentin's death warrant, agrees Barnabas. What are we going to do? asks Julia.  Ironically enough, says Barn, we can't let anything happen to Alexis if we are to prove she killed Bruno, we must keep her alive
--I know it's a risk for you, he says, moving in very close, but I want you to stay with her as often as you can and keep me informed about her plans. Julia nods, looking scared.

Angelique goes to Maggie's room and asks, have you heard anything from the lawyers?  Not yet, says Maggie. I wouldn't worry if I were you, says Alexis, they're sure to have Quentin home, tomorrow at the latest. Strange as it may sound, says Maggie, i'd rather it took even longer. Maggie, what are you saying? the other woman asks. I need time to think, insists Maggie, Cyrus was Quentin's best friend, even Cyrus thought Quentin killed Angelique. You think is that Cyrus is mistaken, insists Angelique--Maggie, even though we know Quentin has a bad temper, prone to jealousy, we also know he loved Angelique, never would have killed her--why if he did that. . . she walks away.  Maggie asks, "He could what?" Nothing, says Angelique. You were going to say he'd be capable of killing again! accuses Maggie, weren't you? No I wasn't, says Ang, let's just drop the subject--we must both have faith in Quentin, and must be true to that faith. She grins.

Police station - Quentin gazes out the window and paces. Hamilton enters.  What did the coroner have to say? asks Quentin  Bruno Hess died of strangulation, reveals the Inspector, there were marks on his neck indicating where you placed your two hands. (wouldn't fingers leave different marks than a ascot?)  Quentin says, "Inspector, I did NOT kill that man!" There was no other person in the room with him--you are the only possible suspect, says Hamilton--you are no longer being held on suspicion--the charge is now murder, in the first degree. I want to talk to my lawyer, insists Quentin. If it's about bail, says Hamilton, I can save you the trouble--in view of the new charge, Judge McDonald has refused to grant bail--it appears you're going to be with us for a while, Mr. Collins. Quentin looks unhappy and pissed off.

I want to talk to my lawyer, anyway, insists Quentin--I have that right. So you do, agrees Hamilton, and you may in just a moment, but first, there's something else you ought to know. You're just full of information, aren't you? asks Quentin, sitting down. Part of my job, says Hamilton--in light of this evening's events, we now think it practical to reinvestigate the circumstances of the death of your first wife--we now tend to believe what Dr. Longworth wrote in his journal, but of course, the only way we can verify his opinion is to have your first wife's body exhumed. (Uh oh!) Exhumed? repeats Quentin--you can't do that. I'm afraid we can, Mr. Collins, says Hamilton. I won't allow it, asserts Quentin. Your consent is not required, says Hamilton--it will be done with a court order--that does seem to trouble you--perhaps you're afraid of what we will find. Quentin's face seems to crumple, for he knows damn well there is no body to exhume.

On the phone, Maggie thanks someone for calling, then hangs up, very upset. Barnabas enters.  The lawyers just called to tell me bail had been denied, she says. This stuns Barnabas. The charge has been changed to murder in the first degree, adds Maggie. Barnabas gently asks, do you believe he's guilty?  Maggie says uncomfortably, I don't know. You can't afford to have doubts at a time like this, insists Barn--do the police have the journal now?  Yes, she says, Alexis gave it to them. Alexis? asks Barn. She apparently bought the journal from Bruno, says Maggie, and intended to keep it quiet, but Bruno made a photostatic copy of it and that's what he showed the police. She intended to keep that journal quiet? asks Barnabas. Yes, says Maggie, she didn't believe any part of it was accurate and tried to protect Quentin, just the same as Cyrus tried to protect him the night Angelique died--I just wish that I had as much faith in Quentin as she seems to have!  Quentin is innocent, insists Barn, and we can help him as long as Quentin cooperates with the authorities and doesn't panic. Maggie, unable to reply, turns away from him.

Police station - Angelique asks Quentin, are you sure there's nothing the lawyers can do?   Positive, he says, the judge had a perfect right to refuse bail during a murder case. She looks disappointed. The denial of bail isn't what bothers me, says Quentin, it's their decision to exhume Angelique's body, Yes, I know, she says. What are we going to do when they discover there is no body to exhume?  We will answer an awful lot of questions, she responds. Which we can't afford to answer, says Quentin--if I tell them Cyrus and I destroyed the body, they're going to demand to know why--this whole situation is hopeless. No, she says, it's only hopeless as long as you're here in this jail--you must get out of here, it's the only way to prove your innocence. I've tried to get out, I can't, he reminds her. There is one other way, she says. Escape? he asks. Yes, she says. Please don't be absurd, he says. I know what you told me about finding the doll and ascot in Maggie's drawer, but she's being used, just as you are--there's some kind of a vicious plot against you, and you're both pawns in that plot--you've got to get out of here, and there's only one way to find out who's behind this and clear your own name--you must be free, Quentin, free to solve Bruno's murder as well as Angelique's--it's the only way--and I am willing to do everything I can to help you.

On the phone at his desk, Hamilton admonishes, I don't want Judge McDonald troubled again tonight--this can wait until morning--how long will it take to get orders to exhume the body?--good, I want to make all the necessary arrangements at the cemetery. Angelique's scream fills his world. "I'll call you back," says Hamilton, and races toward the other room. "Come in here!" Angelique screeches. As soon as Hamilton enters the room, Quentin leaps from the bench on which he's been standing and karate chops the Inspector, sending him to the floor, unconscious.
Quentin leaves the police station. Angelique surveys the Inspector's unmoving body.

NOTES: Okay! So now Angelique has encouraged Quentin to escape jail, making him a fugitive who will be sought by the police--open to being killed. Again, what's her motivation--to have him shot dead by the cops? What does she want, exactly? Good job, Ang! Foolish man, Quentin! Don't listen to her, she means you evil! EEEEVIL!

Angelique did a wonderful job of making Quentin look guilty, and now she's doing a great job of making Maggie look guilty in Quentin's eyes. Aside from making it appear she's still friend to both of them, why is she assuring each of them that she believes the are both pawns in someone else's scheme? Is she trying to shed guilt on another, perhaps Barnabas?

One wishes that at this critical juncture (and since he didn't dispose of Roxanne when he has the chance) that Barnabas would simply tell both Quentin and Maggie that Alexis/Angelique is behind this entire thing.  At this point, however, it might be too late. Julia is right to be annoyed at Barn, to even stamp her foot in anger, because Barnabas' thinking with his loins is causing a serious, possibly deadly, ripple effect.

What is going to happen to these hapless PT players?

Love, Robin