Author Topic: A Boy, His Grandmother, Ruth Lyons, Mike Douglas and DS  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
A Boy, His Grandmother, Ruth Lyons, Mike Douglas and DS
« on: March 31, 2008, 10:16:11 PM »
Another link from Google pointed me to this letter from daytondailynews.com about a boy, his grandmother, Mike Douglas, DS and Ruth Lyons (whoever the hell she is). Scroll down to "From Keith in the ‘Nati"
("Spooky. Eerie. Fascinating." That definitely describes DS.  [ghost_wink])

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
Re: A Boy, His Grandmother, Ruth Lyons, Mike Douglas and DS
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 06:00:13 AM »
I guess Ruth Lyons and The 50-50 Club was a Mid West thing.
I remember watching it as a child.
Thanks for sharing the article MB.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 02:59:22 AM »
I, too, remember Ruth Lyons and the 50/50 club, which was broadcast live (I think at noon) from Cincy on WLWC (I lived north of Dayton and we had one of those old-fashioned antennas which, to this day, is still anchored to the side of my deceased parents house in which I grew up!).  And Bob Braun, et all. And there was Bonnie Lou, the singer and yodeler!  Those were fun shows to watch when I was a kid back in the 60s.  For what its worth, I may as well add that I also remember watching George Clooney's father Nick on news broadcasts from Cincy.  And the best was Phil Donahue, who orginated his talk show on WLWD in Dayton back in the 60s!  As I recall, hiis show followed Paul Dixon's....Dixon at 9 am, and Donahue at 10.  Dixon used to make jokes about the "screw" that held his toupee on...:)

Okay, not DS but I had to share.  (BTW, referring to another thread, i knew Keith Prentice, also from Dayton, back in the early 80s.  Not much I can add to comments about him, but he was always talkative and pleasant to me, and shared many stories about his work in Sound of Music, on DS and in Cruising.)

Brian

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 05:16:01 AM »
Also not DS, but I guessing Cincinnati's WLWC has been off the air for quite a while because there's now a WLWC based in Providence, RI that used to run both UPN's and the WB's (timeshifted) programming, but now it's only fitting that it runs the CW's shows.  [ghost_wink]

But getting back OT, thankfully for me, the only time I had to argue with my parents about watching DS was whenever a Red Sox game aired opposite DS. Usually they let me watch DS if it was a normal game and they listened to it on the radio for the 30 minutes DS was on. But if it was a playoff game, well, I had to go without DS and rely on my friends to fill me in on what happened.  [ghost_cheesy]  (And then I had to explain the same to my mom.  [ghost_grin])

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 06:09:04 PM »
I really wish the episodes of Virginia Graham's Girl Talk show with Grayson Hall and Joan Bennett from 1970 would surface somehow, someday...

G.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 02:34:53 AM »
Also not DS, but I guessing Cincinnati's WLWC has been off the air for quite a while because there's now a WLWC based in Providence, RI that used to run both UPN's and the WB's (timeshifted) programming, but now it's only fitting that it runs the CW's shows.

I tihnk I may have been wrong about WLWC.  In Dayton, we had WLWD (now WDTN) and in Indianapolis, it was WLWI.  But after doing a little reseach, I found that WLW was originally a radio station, and WLWT (in Cincy) was probably the TV offshoot of the WLW radio network.  So it probably was not WLWC at all, but WLWT, channel 5, as it is today.  My, how much the mind can rearrange things after 40 years!  :)
Brian

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 03:56:36 AM »
So it probably was not WLWC at all, but WLWT, channel 5, as it is today.

Stations sometimes switch call letters, so it didn't really surprise me that there could have been a different WLWC years ago. About 40 years ago there used to be a WNAC that was a VHF ABC affiliate in Providence, but now a totally different Providence station is WNAC, they're UHF, and they're a FOX affiliate. I guess stations can play musical call letters whenever older stations go under and new ones are born.

My, how much the mind can rearrange things after 40 years!  :)

More people that I know seem to have more problems with what happened 4 years ago than they do with 40. But then they say the short term memory is usually the first to go.  [ghost_grin]  [ghost_sad]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 05:37:40 AM »
I really wish the episodes of Virginia Graham's Girl Talk show with Grayson Hall and Joan Bennett from 1970 would surface somehow, someday...

I remember and loved that show. Someone I hope has the film of it.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate