Author Topic: Carl Collins & Pansy Faye: The Brad & Angelina of DS!  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Carl Collins & Pansy Faye: The Brad & Angelina of DS!
« on: November 09, 2014, 03:29:31 PM »
Hey, gang,

I've been watching several of the 1897 dvd's recently, and I was struck (and disappointed) on how very briefly Pansy Faye was on the show.  Wasn't that an absolutely terrific DS episode when an absolutely smitten Carl Collins introduced his beloved Pansy to Judith and Barnabas at the Old House?   Oh man, the look of total surprise and disbelief on their faces as Pansy "regaled" them with one of her trademark British dance hall songs was priceless! [hall2_shocked] [hall2_embarrassed]   

Needless to say, Judith was NOT pleased with her younger brother's choice for a bride.  Judith would have been even less pleased, if she had stayed long enough at the Old House to observe Pansy down that glass of sherry, which Beth graciously provided her with, in one quick and, decidedly, unladylike gulp! [hall2_tongue]

Can you imagine how Charity, the Rev. Trask, and, especially, the toffee-nosed Edward Collins would have reacted if they had made Pansy's acquaintance? [hall2_shocked]  Oh, to see the cockney Pansy Faye, taking up residence at Collinwood with Carl would have been so much fun, sort of like seeing Hyacinthe Bucket's (pronounce "Bouquet") "slightly" randy sister, Rose, taking up residence with Prince Charles at Buckingham Palace! [hall2_rolleyes]

And, what of Carl Collins, a man I like to refer to as "Shecky" Collins?  Wasn't he like the official clown prince of comedy of Dark Shadows? [hall2_smiley]  I vividly remember watching that classic DS episode back in 1969, when we first get to see Carl, creeping up to an unsuspecting Barnabas in the Collinwood drawing room,  and then holding a pistol  to Barnabas' head, assuring him that he was about to blow Barnabas' brains out.  Poor Barnabas was obviously trying to quickly figure out how he was going to try to "explain" to Carl just why his brains were not spread all over the finely paneled walls after Carl pulled the trigger.   [hall2_undecided] Thankfully, the gun was just a toy from Atlantic City, that merely dropped a large handkerchief, which read, "Bang!" (I believe), much to Barnabas' great relief and much to Carl's great amusement! [hall2_grin]   (Incidentally, do you think that this was one of the few times when the DS writers wanted us all to get a big laugh on this usually eerie and serious Gothic series?)     

Or how about the time the stuff-shirted Edward tried to open a can of tobacco and out popped one of Carl's fake, coiled snakes? [hall2_grin]  Oh, just think of the uproariously funny mischief that both Carl and Pansy could have perpetrated together in the great house of Collinwood.  Sadly, it was not to be. [hall2_sad]

So, as Pansy might have sung for the great enjoyment of all the fishermen, farmers, businessmen and working girls in attendance at the Eagle Tavern:

I'm going to dance for you,
going to dance your cares away. 
I'll do the hootch-he-koo,
and Ta-ra-ra-boom-de-ay! [hall2_kiss] [hall2_grin]

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Carl Collins & Pansy Faye: The Brad & Angelina of DS!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 08:03:07 AM »
I never remember just what she was like.  I always think of her as Charity, since she was "Pansy" a lot longer than we had the real thing.
Josette

Offline BangsnFangs

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 10:10:44 AM »
God, I love 1897.  It's a great example of the writers throwing a whole load of stuff at the wall and it pretty much all sticking.

I agree, the WTF expression on Judith and Barnabas' faces is absolutely priceless and one of many great moments in 1897.

What I love about the time travel storylines is that the writers were more free to do what they wanted with the central characters, particularly the Collins family.  Unlike the present day Collins family, they weren't required to be the "anchors" of the show, and so the writers could take them in some interesting and unexpected directions.  [spoiler]The death of Carl Collins is a case in point here.  It's just a shame he had to go so soon.[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 10:45:27 AM »
God, I love 1897.  It's a great example of the writers throwing a whole load of stuff at the wall and it pretty much all sticking.

I agree... well said.  I associate 1897 DS with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine's later years.  Both found that they were free to load more and more characters in, and have their plotlines interweave in complicated ways, and instead of throwing viewers, it drew them in more and more.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 08:12:36 PM »
Yes, 1897 is lots of fun, with still more to come. And I loved DS9 too.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 08:50:29 PM »
I think that Carl and Pansy could have emerged as The Joker and Harley Quinn of Dark Shadows.  [hall2_rolleyes] [hall2_rolleyes] [hall2_rolleyes]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 05:45:23 AM »
The romantic in me likes to imagine that since Pansy's spirit took possession of Charity, Carl's spirit would have eventually returned to take possession of some hapless bloke so that those two wacky lovebirds could finally be reunited.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 08:53:02 AM »
Nice thought.

Offline BangsnFangs

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 10:08:01 AM »
I associate 1897 DS with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine's later years.  Both found that they were free to load more and more characters in, and have their plotlines interweave in complicated ways, and instead of throwing viewers, it drew them in more and more.

Oh, wow, you're right.  I've never thought of that before.  The first two seasons of DS9 and the pre-Barnabas episodes also share a similar function when viewed in context.  Both effectively serve as backstory or "texture" for what followed.  Were both integral and necessary periods for their respective shows and essential viewing for any fan?  I would argue yes.  However, to tell the truth, I find the first two seasons of DS9 mind-numbingly dull at worst, and at best very uneven.  I think the pre-Barnabas episodes are, on the other hand, a delight from beginning to end.  But maybe I'm just a little biased.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 02:26:14 PM »
Knowing all that happened later makes early DS9, early DS, and early Babylon 5 all much easier to appreciate.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 06:39:47 PM »
I remember reading a newspaper article about DS during the time of the 1897 story line, and one of the DS writers regretted having King Johnny Romano depart from the show so relatively soon.  Apparently, with his "somewhat" garish attire, "colorful" use of the English language , and larger that life personality, King Johnny was a particular big favorite with the DS fans, and especially the younger kids (who, are now, unfortunately, probably all eligible for AARP membership). [hall2_sad] [hall2_wink]

1897 had so many memorable, new characters in addition to Carl and Pansy: Magda and Sandor Racosi (the "Stella and Stanley Kowalski of DS", imo), the "slightly" narcissistic Aristede, the aforementioned King Johnny, the repulsive Count Andreas Petofi (I wonder if Lasic eye surgery would have helped the "good" Count?), Istvan, the mute and muscular gypsy (You don't think that Istvan was using PED's way back in 1897, do you?), and the enigmatic Charles Delaware Tate, in all likelihood, a proud graduate of the Bob Ross Learn to Paint School."

So, to Dan Curtis and the wonderful DS writers and actors, we salute you for a truly superb story line!!!

Bob [hall2_grin] [hall2_wink] 

PS If they ever make another film on DS, maybe Tim Burton could get Lara Parker's great lookalike, actress Charlize Theron,  to portray everyone's favorite witch? [hall2_huh] [hall2_kiss]