Author Topic: Re: The ShadowGram Survey  (Read 5264 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The ShadowGram Survey
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2005, 12:34:30 AM »
Pure speculation on my part, but it just struck that with DC's association with Showtime with Our Fathers, perhaps they've expressed some sort of an interest in DS, or if Our Fathers does well, perhaps DCP is considering pitching some sort of DS project to Showtime. However, I still believe that at this point it's way, Way, WAY too dangerous to read anything into what might have sparked the idea for the survey. And while a potential Showtime DS project might account for the survey's question regarding whether or not we'd be willing to pay a monthly subscription fee to receive a pay channel in order to watch a new DS, unless Showtime is suddenly interested in getting into daytime dramas, DC's association with them certainly wouldn't account for the the survey's question regarding whether or not we might enjoy DS as a daytime program...

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2005, 12:43:56 AM »
Oh My Goddess!!  The very idea of a "Dark Shadows"  on HBO.....in the "Soprano's", "Carnevale", "Deadwood" mode... boggles the mind!!! [6184]

Definitely.  A new DS deserves that level of treatment IMO.  

I don't think WB would have handled the remake well at all, from what I've read about some of the ideas they were trying to impose.  I think HBO would be much more likely to let Dan Curtis & co. do the show properly and not try to butt in as much.  I'd love to see an atmospheric, well-crafted and intelligent remake of DS that is both respectful of the classic series, but also finds new storylines to explore.

I think HBO might be a good place for it.  MB, I also considered the Showtime connection.  That could definitely work too.   Although that would mean we'd have to pay for Showtime at my place, I'd be willing to do that if it meant good new DS episodes.     

~PennyDreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2005, 12:58:46 AM »
After reading all of these responses I am more confused than ever. lol
"Our Fathers" I am guessing fiinished production several months ago and now we have a survey that gives us only 4-5 days to respond. Perhaps when DC consulted on The Night Stalker new pilot, he got some interest from ABC (especially they know it will be the 40th Anniversary next year). That is my guess although Showtime is also a good possibility. Thank goodness for discussion boards.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2005, 01:42:10 AM »
Perhaps when DC consulted on The Night Stalker new pilot, he got some interest from ABC (especially they know it will be the 40th Anniversary next year).

Possibly. But just like Showtime doesn't account for the daytime program question, ABC doesn't account for the pay cable question, which is why at this point I'm more inclined to believe that there isn't much of anything concrete happening and that the survey is simply a way to guage where the fans' thinking is.

Time will tell, as it always does...

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2005, 01:42:32 AM »
I agree with MB's take on the question.  There very well might be a meeting or a pitch DCP wants to make to person(s) unknown and wants to go in stating he knows about some fan reaction to what he is proposed (or what he is being offered).  I wouldnt read any more into than that, IMO.

Nancy

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2005, 02:42:35 AM »
I agree with MB's take on the question.  There very well might be a meeting or a pitch DCP wants to make to person(s) unknown and wants to go in stating he knows about some fan reaction to what he is proposed (or what he is being offered).  I wouldnt read any more into than that, IMO.

Well at the very least I am extremely satisfied that something may be happening on a potential new DS project. Go Dan.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2005, 02:36:07 AM »
Well, whatever venue (if any) is being considered for a new DS, it seems very unlikely it's going to be the Horror Channel.

That ship doesn't seem able to launch itself out of its moorings into open water.  Still nothing on the site to indicate they are any closer to actually finding a home on cable TV.

And I swore I wasn't going to get caught up in any more DS discussions based purely on speculation and vague off-the-cuff utterances by people with tenuous connections to the show... ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2005, 04:53:48 AM »
Well, whatever venue (if any) is being considered for a new DS, it seems very unlikely it's going to be the Horror Channel. 

And I swore I wasn't going to get caught up in any more DS discussions based purely on speculation and vague off-the-cuff utterances by people with tenuous connections to the show... ::)

I agree that the Horror Channel is skating on thin ice. But I do think it is ok to continue to speculate on matters that we may or may not have any control of pertaining to DS. It may be cruel but this is a discussion board for members to bring to the table what they think about this possible development. Yes I also agree that we may have been possible victims of unsubstantiated rumors pertaining to a new potential DS project. However, this time I do believe that there is a shred of truth to this current rumor. I remember that John Wells had indicated that he had not given up on Dark Shadows and that he was going to sit down with DC after he filmed Our Fathers to discuss a possible new DS project. Perhaps they will be finally having this meeting.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2005, 04:59:02 AM »

That ship doesn't seem able to launch itself out of its moorings into open water.  Still nothing on the site to indicate they are any closer to actually finding a home on cable TV.

This saddens me since I was really looking forward to the Horror Channel.  They really seem to want to show DS and all kinds of great horror programming.  I hope the channel can make it.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2005, 03:51:37 AM »
Just for the sake of not leaving a blank space, I entered "undecided" as answer to the question of paying yet more for a channel just to see a new DS.  The truth is, I probably wouldn't.  The cable I get now is in the $50s, plus with the internet over $100.  Adding showtime or HBO would jack it up beyond what I'm unhappy to pay as it is.  I have no interest in just about anything else on HBO or Showtime.  There's all too much dirt on the channels I get, and I got along just fine without the Sopranos, Sex And the City, Queer As Folk,  R-rated movies and everything else, thank you.

That's another thing, I really don't want to see DS laden with blatant sexual content, nauseating violence, and excessive profanities.  It's one thing to update it to the modern world, and I think it's great if it's more PC (one reason I liked the new cast they picked last year), but where to draw the line at HOW to tell the stories? Plenty of people complained about the possibilities when they heard it was proposed as a WB show.   What do you think they might do if it's on a station with a bare minimum of standards?

Even though the old show was pretty strong stuff when I first saw it at age 10, compared to what's out there today, I would have no qualms introducing it to an intelligent older child.  I wouldn't want a DS I would be embarrassed to watch if a kid or even my (seriously conservative) parents stepped into the room.  However, to sell the concept I guess that's what will have to be done.  OK fine, then I'll just wait to hear what others think of it if it EVER comes to pass, then maybe I'd rent the DVDs eventually.
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2005, 04:14:31 AM »
If DS ever was to become a Showtime or HBO series, that doesn't necessarily mean that it would be laden with blatant sexual content, nauseating violence, or excessive profanities. For example, Showtime produced The Outer Limits and Stargate SG1 for several seasons and neither series featured any of those things.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2005, 06:32:37 AM »
A vampire in literature, movies, etc. is portrayed as a sexual, violent character who both attracts and repels his victims.  Barnabas (original, 1991, House of Dark Shadows and 2004) is no exception.  Yes, they could not show the sex on daytime then but it was certainly discussed a great deal or inferred.  Much of the inference was rated x.

I'm not sure how one would go about sanitizing the story of a vampire to exclude violence, gore and sex.  Or, why would even want to bother.  If one did, then it would not be the story of the vampire but of something else.

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2005, 06:55:06 AM »
When I was, like, 7 or 8 watching the original DS in its original run, I had no idea vampires had anything remotely to do with sex.  I thought they were just about violence and gore, which I thought were very cool -- LOL!  So I say forget the sex and go for the violence and gore -- LOL! ;D

I remember that John Wells had indicated that he had not given up on Dark Shadows and that he was going to sit down with DC after he filmed Our Fathers to discuss a possible new DS project. Perhaps they will be finally having this meeting.

I hope this is what's going on! :D

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2005, 08:03:55 AM »
A vampire in literature, movies, etc. is portrayed as a sexual, violent character who both attracts and repels his victims...Yes, they could not show the sex on daytime then but it was certainly discussed a great deal or inferred.  Much of the inference was rated x. 

I'm not sure how one would go about sanitizing the story of a vampire to exclude violence, gore and sex.  Or, why would even want to bother.

That may be so, but I think a lot of the concern surrounding a new DS has to do with how the sensuality of the vampire is handled.  Personally, I don't want to see Barnabas rutting on Josette (pardon my crudeness.)  Just let him bare his fangs and then fade out; let the audience imagine what happens next.  Subtlety is more elegant (and more intelligent) than explicitness.

But then, I'm not eager to see a remake anyway, so I didn't reply to the survey.  I had the opportunity to see an episode of the 1991 DS today.  As a show, it wasn't bad.  It was atmospheric, it was visually attractive.  But it was like looking at a parallel universe.  I cannot think of that show as "Dark Shadows".  I believe DS was a unique product of its time.  You can't step in the same river twice.  If Dan Curtis wanted to present a next generation DS, then I would be delighted and I would watch it whenever/wherever.  However, he has made it apparent that he is not interested in pursuing that possibility.  I don't want to watch an imposter DS, especially not if it's gratuitously violent and smutty.  IMO, a good show is measured by how entertaining and well-written the story is and how well the characters are developed, not how much skin is showing.

ProfStokes

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2005, 11:12:39 AM »
Even though Sci-Fi unceremoniously dumped the original DS, considering the continuing interest in the show I'm surprised it has not looked into doing a new version.  It did that miniseries remake of Battlestar Gallactica, which proved so popular that it became a hit show for the network, and I'm sure the fan base for BG is not as large as for DS.  Dan Curtis is still a hot commodity, as exemplified by his success with Our Fathers on Showtime.

Gerard