Author Topic: Re: The ShadowGram Survey  (Read 5263 times)

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The ShadowGram Survey
« on: May 20, 2005, 06:41:56 AM »
Hmm, well this is interesting.  Wonder what prompted this survey and why it's so "time sensitive...?!"  I put undecided for the question about if I'd get pay cable to watch a new DS -- do they mean basic or premium?  And I put a big YES! and YES! for if I'd watch it as a daytime show or if I'd prefer a weekly primetime drama -- LOL!  I don't care what time of day, just get it on the air!  LOL! ;D

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
Re: Re: The ShadowGram Survey
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 07:39:14 AM »
I was wondering that about question 1 myself.  They weren't very clear on that one.  Probably I would not go with premium but I do already subscribe to Total Choice Plus on Direct TV which gets me extra channels like SoapNet and Boom.  I love both by the way. Adult Swim rocks!

Direct TV also has sports packages.  I'd subscribe to a similar horror/sci-fi/soap/movie package for sure. [Bat]

luv, victoriawinters

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 03:17:03 PM »
I don't understand how to participate; do I open an e-mail, copy & paste the questions with my answers?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 03:35:56 PM »
Interesting that there is a specific deadline and also that it is in several days? This time sensitive survey gives the appearance that some DS TV project is close to becoming a reality? I mean if DCP is just thinking about a type of project ie... movie, tele-movie or series, why do they have to know the results of the survey by the 23rd??
I am happy to see that ShadowGram, as always, was clear and concise without the hint of a actual project being in development or being planned unlike another DS source who stated that a new potential DS was being planned.

For Patti. I think all you have to do is click on the reply email key and type in your answers there. That is what I did and I hope that is the correct way to respond?

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 04:09:30 PM »
Curiouser and coriouser...

I put yes for all three questions.  I think if DS was on a channel like HBO they'd give the creators of the show more free reign than a regular network might.  And I'm with Mary.  I don't care when it's on - as long as it's on.

- PennyDreadful
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline nedstuart

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 05:23:56 PM »
This survey does make you think that something is in the works. You never know, maybe a network is thinking about bringing on DS again.

Jeff

Offline Penthea

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 07:26:17 PM »
I answered Undecided to question #1
And Yes to questions #2 and #3

Penthea

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 10:01:09 PM »
This survey does make you think that something is in the works. You never know, maybe a network is thinking about bringing on DS again.

I am hoping you (we) are right. Just don't know what to believe anymore. If something is as imminent as the deadline suggests, you would think that the DS producers already know who the interested entity is; cable channel or a network? Just love to look into these things. lol

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 10:20:23 PM »
Frankly, I don't understand this survey at all.  You don't conduct surveys as you're nearing the completion of a project.....surveys come at the beginning so that you know what direction you should be heading before you start planning and spending.

If they simply want to know if we'll pay for the chance to see the original DS, I can understand that.  Why that has to be known in a matter of days, I can't guess.

But on the other hand, if they're trying to convince a network or studio to get involved in another project, this is the sort of info they'd want at the start of the negotiations....not after you've already convinced them.  If that's the case, why wasn't this survey done already, and what's the rush now?

And when all is said and done....we've been led down this path before only to get our hopes dashed.
I'm going to take a "show me the money" attitude from now on. 
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 10:21:14 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily read too much into the survey. It could simply be that DCP isn't quite sure whether to pitch DS as a new cable, daytime or primetime series. If some entity was already interested, there'd probably be no need for a survey - more than likely DCP would already be working in one of those directions. And as for the time sensitivity issue, that could merely be because DCP has some sort of meeting scheduled and they'd like the results of the survey before plotting strategy.

Though, of course, my impressions could be wrong.  ;)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 10:41:13 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily read too much into the survey. It could simply be that DCP isn't quite sure whether to pitch DS as a new cable, daytime or primetime series. If some entity was alreadyinterested, there'd probably be no need for a survey - more than likely DCP would already be working in one of those directions. And as for the time sensitivity issue, that could merely be because DCP has some sort of meeting scheduled and they'd like the results of the survey before plotting strategy.

Though, of course, my impressions could be wrong.  ;)

Good points MB although the survey still does not make any sense to me. Since when did DC become clueless (not going there lol) as to where to pitch a new DS project to? His vast experience as a TV producer makes this survey almost illogical. Secondly, since when is DC interested in hearing from us lol? I have read many of his interviews and he does not seem like the type of person who wants to hear from the people on Shadowgram's mailing list. I don't think we can influence him in any way although I can be wrong.  If DC is sincere in hearing from us, that is a tremendous compliment from him.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 10:45:47 PM »
Secondly, since when is DC interested in hearing from us lol? I have read many of his interviews and he does not seem like the type of person who wants to hear from the people on Shadowgram's mailing list. I don't think we can influence him in any way although I can be wrong.  If DC is sincere in hearing from us, that is a tremendous compliment from him.

Actually, back before the '91 series went into production DC did indeed solicit opinions from the fans who were members of the old DS BB on the now defunct Prodigy service.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 10:50:27 PM »
Actually, back before the '91 series went into production DC did indeed solicit opinions from the fans who were members of the old DS BB on the now defunct Prodigy service.

Did not know that. Thanks for the info. Let's hope the fans respond to this survey and that he listens.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 11:55:49 PM »
Although my interest in a revival is minimal (I'll be polite and not term it "morbid curiosity"), I did respond to the survey.

The reports of a recent miniseries on one of the networks, something called "Revelations"(?) that sounded very campy and OTT, do suggest that there could be room for something along the lines of DS on one of the schedules.  Doing it as a 6 or 9 episode miniseries might soften the blow of the tremendous cost of producing it, particularly compared to the enormously popular "reality" shows they roll out for peanuts.

The other way it could be done is like Carnevale on HBO.  I haven't seen that either, but friends who watched gave it very high marks.

G.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2005, 12:11:22 AM »
Oh My Goddess!!  The very idea of a "Dark Shadows"  on HBO.....in the "Soprano's", "Carnevale", "Deadwood" mode... boggles the mind!!! [6184]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas