Author Topic: Johnny Depp's Teen Choice nominations  (Read 1261 times)

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Johnny Depp's Teen Choice nominations
« on: August 07, 2011, 09:57:07 PM »
For what it's worth, the Teen Choice Awards are tonight (it airs on Fox) and Johnny has 3 nominations

Actor - Action Movie (The Tourist)
Actor - Sci Fi/Fantasy (Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides)
Animated Movie Voice - (Rango)

I doubt he'll be there, because he was spotted at a rugby game yesterday in England.  But sometimes he submits an acceptance video (if he wins anything, that is).

Unfortunatelyl, Chloe Moretz doesn't have a nomination, but her film Let Me In is up for Horror movie.  Next year, maybe Dark Shadows will be in that spot  [ghost_wink]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Re: Johnny Depp's Teen Choice nominations
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 03:07:04 AM »
So, Johnny won for The Tourist, but he wasn't there and didn't submit a video :(  In fact, it was just among some awards they just announced quickly.  For Sci Fi/Fantasy, he lost to Taylor Lautner, and I didn't find out what happened to Animated Voice because I wasn't listening to the whole thing, but if he'd won I'd imagine they would've announced it with the Tourist win. 

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
^^^  In fact, he *did* win for Animated Voice.  Doubly sad he didn't at least get to submit a taped video.  Oh well, congrats to him!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 02:02:26 PM »
Burton's confidentiality agreement probably even bans Depp from being videotaped - even as himself - while DS is still shooting.  [ghost_grin]

I joke - but, given what little of Depp has been seen since shooting started, part of me wouldn't be surprised.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 03:24:16 PM »
In this case, though, DS is really at least as much in Johnny's hands (or at least his sister, co-producer Christi Dembrowski) as Tim's.  I think that Johnny has enough clout that if he wanted to be somewhere, he would be, but a Teen Choice sighting was pretty much a long shot.   I'm a little surprised the Teen Choice wouldn't want to capitalize more on his wins with at least a video, but then again, the Teens are more interested in Justin Bieber and the Twilight crew, anyway  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 04:43:22 PM »
In this case, though, DS is really at least as much in Johnny's hands (or at least his sister, co-producer Christi Dembrowski) as Tim's

So in other words, Depp was enforcing his own edict by not appearing on videotape on the show.  [ghost_cheesy]

As for Justin Bieber, when I read that he had won in certain categories, I was like "Really?!"  [ghost_huh]  But then, the voting demo isn't always necessarily going for who should win. I suspect Bieber won simply because there were a lot more Bieber fans in the voting pool than there were fans of the other nominees.  [ghost_wink]  To me anyway, the Teen Choice Awards (like the People's Choice Awards) seems to be a popularity contest more than anything else. And, honestly, there's nothing wrong with that - especially when something you like wins, like Depp (and TVD).  [ghost_grin]

And I learned something today: I had absolutely no idea that Christi Dembrowski is Depp's sister.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 12:05:19 AM »
^^^ Yeah, well, up til now she's kept a pretty low profile.  She can often be spotted at premieres or awards shows, but only in the background looking busy, and you'd only know it was her if you were looking for her.  Johnny doesn't talk about her often- I think this is mainly for the privacy of his family- but on the rare occasion he's basically mentioned that she's responsible for handling his whole career.  She's credited on IMDb as his assistant as far back as 1995 but in the early 90's, he was already mentioning her helping him. 

I just had a conversation with a few fans recently, wondering if she will actually give any interviews and press conferences now that her first few titles as a producer are coming out this year (Hugo and The Rum Diary).  Also, it'd be great to get a photo of them actually posing together for a change  [ghost_smiley] She deserves so much credit- one of the unsung heroes, for sure!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 12:27:55 AM »
I was trying to look through some old interviews, and boy, it's really hard to find a mention of Christi!  Here is one from GQ from 1993:  "sister-slash-savior-slash-manager. She keeps me organized, because I am not organized."  And I can think of a couple other times he mentioned her but don't have any exact quotes or sources.  But I think it's good that the articles that mention her as a producer for DS, Rum Diary and Hugo don't refer to her as his sister, because by now she's really earned the right to be recognized in her own right!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 12:45:36 AM »
Very interesting. Thanks for all the info, madscntst.  [ghost_smiley]