Author Topic: Semi OT: Reading and acting  (Read 592 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Semi OT: Reading and acting
« on: June 18, 2009, 03:58:15 PM »
Fans,

this two minute clip of a Richard Harris interview from the early 1970s, in which he discusses Marlon Brando's inability to remember lines and a couple of the techniques Brando devised for coping with that, reminded me of how some of the actors had to rely on the TelePrompTer rather heavily in order to get through the typical episode of DS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUMMPP--Zfc

I've read from other fans' reminiscences in earlier posts on this board that not only did the production unit have the TelePrompTer going; they also for at least some episodes had the lines written on big boards like the kind Richard Harris describes Brando using.

Mention of the TelePrompTer reminds me I've been meaning to do a post on the fascinating "Lara Parker Rehearsal Tape" segment on the final DS DVD set.  It gives an insight not only into use of the TelePrompTer for coordinating the Parallel Time segments in 1970, but also illustrates fascinatingly just how broad a Southern accent Lara still had in her regular speaking voice, at least when she was on the show.  I'm not a personal friend of hers, so for all I know, the "deep-fried" down-home accent comes back when she's with friends and family.  It's very cute.

G.