Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0474  (Read 1491 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0474
« on: June 07, 2013, 05:03:14 PM »
Robservations #474

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0474

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 08:04:17 PM »
Cassandra tries to convince Roger to cancel the honeymoon. Liz confronts Cass with a request for an annulment. Vicki tells Liz, “Cassandra is the woman in the picture.” Liz scoffs at the suggestion accusing Vicki of having an overactive imagination. Cassandra has Julia confirm and treat a fake injury in order to force the cancellation of her honeymoon and makes good use of their time together pumping Julia for info about her relationship with Barn. Perhaps because of her failure to convince Liz, Vicki now trysts with Julia in the garden to convince her that Cass is Ange and once again has her concerns ridiculed. At least Julia is skeptical and not dismissive. Cassandra drugs Roger before bedtime. Why? Did she know he would soon be coming out of his spell (is he even under a spell?) or perhaps as so not to have to consummate the marriage? Before Roger goes under, he questions his actions of the past 24 hours aloud with his bride. Cass confronts Barn’s portrait confirming all of Vicki’s suspicions.

Afterthought: Victoria Winters, the smartest girl in the room.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 08:59:13 PM »
Yes dom, Vicki in this one seems to be almost her early '67 self, trying to be the one questioning, putting the pieces together, asking the right questions.  This would put her on the path to becoming the person who figures out the supernatural threat and mobilizes everyone else to confront it, except that that isn't allowed anymore.   It would expose Barnabas.   It was interesting to me, watching the gears turning in Vicki's head, how she figures out that Angelique's only purpose in 1968 would be revenge against Barnabas, reaches the point where she has to decide new Barnabas must be old Barnabas.... then stops just short.

Welcome Roger's bedroom.  **  I liked Cassandra's slip, saying Barnabas hadn't been married in some time, then Julia says, he's never been married...  then Ang pumps Julia for how much she knows, and how intimate she therefore is with Barnabas.  **  So these bedrooms do have bathrooms... Roger's anyway.

I was confused too, about why Cass slips Roger the mickey.   It seems to make his trance falter.   Maybe a half-asleep state can bring supressed truths out, even though it's also a more malleable and hypnotisable state.  Maybe both were going on.

Can't Ang just re-curse Barnabas?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 12:50:31 AM »
Eh, she wants to play cat-and-mouse with him.  Or, to quote the forthcoming [spoiler]Nicholas Blair, "You sure you don't still love him?"[/spoiler]

Following up on my ideas about magical hair dye vs. an actual wig, does Cassandra use her powers to fool Julia with a magically disguised fake ankle sprain?
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 02:22:50 AM »
Wondered that too.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 07:18:49 PM »
Cassandra doesn't want to go away and makes that happen. I was wondering why Roger who seems to be a man under the influence did not just agree to stay to please his beloved. Elizabeth wants the marriage annulled today when yesterday she revealed there was no marriage because Roger already has a wife, but she does not tell Cassandra this fact.  Cassandra already reveals herself to the audience to be Angelique and it would seem more interesting to have let this be a question for a while.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 09:36:54 PM »
I was just thinking about that, AD.  Although, [spoiler]the "Is Alexis really Angelique?" question that drove the HODS-cast-is-absent initial PT 1970 storyline grew stale rather quickly.[/spoiler]

I wonder what she has to gain by not taunting Barnabas?  Especially when she makes her Dream Curse debut as Angelique Classic.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 10:11:20 PM »
Welcome Roger's room! The chief piece of furniture is a large bed with a tall wooden headboard in Gothic-revival style.

Fun stuff with Elizabeth and Cassangelique. Poor Elizabeth is finally forced to reveal that Roger thinks he's Joshua and that she's Naomi. It's extremely difficult for the proud Elizabeth Collins Stoddard to reveal such weaknesses to a stranger, but Cass is unmoved. In fact, she's pretty hard pressed to conceal her delight at how things are going.

Cass tries to get Roger to postpone the honeymoon. I'm used to people not liking me at first, she says piteously. I feel that the family is against me, especially your sister and that Barnabas down at the Old House. Roger reassures her, They’ll accept you in time. With a confident smile, she tells  him, I have my little tricks.

Later, Julia has to doctor Cass's sprained ankle, so Cass has another person to complain to. Julia assures her, Mrs. Collins, you’re talking about a very inbred family. I don’t mean that in a bad way [though it’s true all the same!], just that they’re not used to Collinses doing the unexpected. Then the talk turn to "that Barnabas down at the Old House." She leans in to tell Julia, Barnabas seems to be a man of many secrets--and I imagine that you know them all. She asks if Barnabas is married. Julia replies stonily, Barnabas has _never_ been married. Oh, hasn’t he? Julia asks significantly. Julia is quick to disavow all knowledge but Cassandra knows better. Julia is now a little worried.

For about a nanosecond, the writers have made Vicki the smartest person at Collinwood--she's sure that Angelique has returned to settle the score with Barnabas. But that Barnabas is dead, reminds her. I know, Vicki replies. I just don't understand it. [And her smart moment is over.]

Later, Cass drugs Roger, using powder that she has concealed in a poison ring! I remember when everyone (though not me) had those! Once he's safely down for the count, Cassangelique steals downstairs and warns Barn's portrait that she means business.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 12:08:49 AM »
Cassandra looks fairly fabulous in that flowing peach-colored nightgown.

I was thinking today how well she's adjusted to modern life -- assuming she followed Vicki from 1795 to the present without visiting Barnabas' tomb every year on the anniversary of his vampirization (what?  not a word?), she's exceptionally comfortable with life in 1968 Maine.  Graduate school?  California?  Not bad for a naive little witch fresh off the plantation.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 12:25:10 AM »
I figure that between 1795 and 1968, on a side trip to Hell the Devil gave her a crash course on the 20th century.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 01:34:58 AM »
Classes include "Electricity and You," "Gasoline Pumping 101," "Who's President?" and everyone's favorite, "Milk Is Now Pasteurized".

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 02:29:47 AM »
LOL!  needless to say, this is one of my favorite episodes. As a diehard Cassandra fan, I can never join in with the torch-bearing mob determined to trash 1968.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 02:32:17 AM »
Cassandra's wigs all had magical powers.  So did her purple butterfly peignoir, which was woven for her especial use by the Devil himself.  (not a line in the series, but don't you wish it had been?)  I always wanted to write a story about the origins of the purple butterfly peignoir.  That thing traveled to Hell and back.  It must have been made of strong stuff!

G.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 05:15:49 AM »
I have that story printed off somewhere ... I think it was called "Many Secrets" and much of it took place in the Lavender Guppy, a lovely answer to the Blue Whale.

I would wear the HELL out of the peignoir.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 08:45:31 PM »
Classes include "Electricity and You," "Gasoline Pumping 101," "Who's President?" and everyone's favorite, "Milk Is Now Pasteurized".

[rofl10]

As a diehard Cassandra fan, I can never join in with the torch-bearing mob determined to trash 1968.

I've never understood a lot of the vitriol against 1968. Sure, it has post-Nicholas Adam and Jeff Clark, both of whom are as grating as grating can ever be. But on the plus side it has Cassandra, VampAng, Eve, and more importantly, Nicholas and Prof Stokes, two of the best characters ever created on DS - and the majority of the already established present day characters get to have some of their best scenes ever on DS with those five!

But getting back to this specific ep, I absolutely love this capture:

The expressions on their faces say it all!!  [ghost_wink]