Author Topic: Mrs Pettibone in HODS  (Read 1243 times)

David

Mrs Pettibone in HODS
« on: February 22, 2012, 05:55:56 AM »
who played her? She reminds me of the late character actress Helen Kleeb.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Mrs Pettibone in HODS
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »
That's Camilla Ashland. According to the IMDB, she played three other roles on DS--apparently all of them landladies. She was also nominated for a Tony award and was in several movies. They give her birth date as 1918 but no death date, so she could still be with us.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:07:24 PM »
There's a post in the Movies Slideshow topic about Camilla Ashland and two of her daytime DS roles:

Camilla Ashland certainly looks far more elegant in hoDS...

David

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:28:50 PM »
AHA! I do recall her now from 1970 PT--I wonder why they didn't bill her, since she had a spoken line.

OK, whatever happened to Monica Rich from NODS--K Cody should have played that role.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 02:40:23 AM »
Ms. Rich was cast because of her big expressive eyes- Curtis wanted a little girl that would, in some fashion, evoke Grayson's Carlotta Drake.  Think of the great large close-ups of Grayson's face, highlighting her eyes.

There was an ad for a charity in a national magazine, I believe LIFE or something similar in the months prior to NODS shooting, featuring young Ms. Rich as sad child looking forlorn with expressive eyes.  According to her, that's what got her cast in the film.  She also had done a little bit of acting- commercials & the like, I believe and a PBS operetta "MY HEART IS IN THE HIGHLANDS," which both Museum's of TV & Radio in NY and LA have copies for viewing.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 02:18:22 PM »
I too have wondered why the actress playing Mrs. Pettibone wasn't in the credit.  Michael Stroka was and he didn't have a speaking role and appeared for a second.

I am surprised Monica Rich isn't mentioned on any DS board, or at least I never have seen any mention, as she had an interesting role in NODS. 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 05:02:57 PM »
I am surprised Monica Rich isn't mentioned on any DS board

She's mentioned here now.  [snow_wink]

But seriously, I know what you mean - NoDS gets discussed fairly frequently, but when it does Sarah/Monica Rich never seems to be a part of the conversation. And I don't even really recall if there are many stills that feature her. There is one of Sarah and Angelique from the scene in which[spoiler]Angelique is being taken away.[/spoiler]And there may be one of[spoiler]her screaming at the window during the hanging sequence[/spoiler]- though don't hold me to that one...

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 05:18:31 AM »
There's one of her and Mrs. Castle in black from the funeral scene, but tragically, not a single one of the two of them in Sarah's bedroom.  It's a scene that was cut out before it was shown to MGM, and not an image or scrap of footage from it survives.