Author Topic: Collinwood Exterior Models -- 1990  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Collinwood Exterior Models -- 1990
« on: October 15, 2005, 02:52:21 AM »
Have any of you seen the scale-models of the exterior of Collinwood from the 1990 show?? -- either in person or in the 1992 Kathleen Resch book, "Dark Shadows in the 90s"?   

It's interesting that the scale model of Collinwood is actually much bigger and much "spookier" than the real Greystone Mansion.  And apparently Dan Curtis and company were looking forward to future storylines when they created the scale-model, because they created an additional wing -- including the "tower room" which was never shown on the original 1990 DS show, but was displayed at at least one of the conventions and appears clearly in two photos in Resch's 1992 book. 

This "unseen" wing of Collinwood would have, no doubt, provided refuge for upcoming characters such as Adam, Quentin's ghost, and "Mad Jenny."   Too bad the show didn't last long enough to make use of this section of the scale model.   

Did anyone else see this either in person or in Resche's book?

I believe the 1990 scale-model was eventually auctioned-off at one of the conventions.  But, I may be wrong about that.

I wonder if the 2004 Collinwood had a tower-room?   Hmmm.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Collinwood Exterior Models -- 1990
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 03:52:50 AM »
I don't think anyone had a chance to bid on it this year, but I wasn't around on Sunday at the time it was to have been auctioned to be able to swear to it or tell you why that was.  (MB and I spent the time at the real Greystone instead.  [hall2_tongue])

A member of the Shadows list has pictures of the scale model on his website.  Go to Ron Janick's site-- http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ronbellajanick/my_photos and select the "DS Fest: [LA]..." link (top row at the end).  His thumbnails of the scale model are 6 rows down.

Here, the miniature is in 2 pieces (imagine them connected in the same order that you see them).  However, the tower that you see to the right of them in DS books such as Pierson's DS Resurrected is clearly absent.

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 05:08:49 AM »
Yes, that apears to be a rather small segment of the model. It doesn't even depict the entire house as shown on the 1991 series.  And the entire "extra wing" seems to be missing as well.  Not to mention the infamous tower room.  Too bad.

Well, at least we have photos of the entire model in one or two books.

But, I'd love to see the "entire" model as filmed for the 91 series, with the extra wing, tower room, fog, and lightening.  It would have been one spooky freak-palace.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 09:48:13 PM »
this is slightly off-topic but whenever either the 2004 or the 1991 series come up people always start to project the series well into the future.

characters like adam,quentin and jenny as well as storylines like 1897 and 1840 didn't even appear on the original show until well into it's run and it was a daily show that produced over 1000 episodes.a weekly prime-time show only produces about 23 episodes a season.so in order to tell a story that made any sense they would first have had to establish a solid storyline in the present.then,as in the 1991 version,would perhaps have gotten into some of the 1795 stuff as well as it's sort of critical in understanding characters like barnabas,josette and angelique.

but the show would have to be on for many,many years before they could really get to these later storylines.perhaps decades.most prime-time show's simply don't last that long. [hall2_tongue]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 10:17:12 PM »
I don't disagree, Mscbryk.  But my point was that whoever created the 1991 scale-model had the foresight to add that additional wing (which doesn't exist on the real Greystone Mansion) and to include a tower room. 

Neither the wing nor the tower were ever seen on the 91 series, yet they existed -- waiting for a chance to be seen and used.  So, one has to assume they were created for future storylines that may have "needed" an abandoned wing of the mansion or a tower room.   I only threw-in speculation about Adam, Quentin, and Jenny because these characters had been inhabitants of the various abandoned parts of Collinwood.  I wasn't really speculating that the 91 series would actually get to these particular storylines.  Still, the designer of the scale-model was obviously thinking ahead.

On the other hand, I believe Dan Curtis was planning to "get to" the Quentin storyline much quicker than most of us might suspect.  Adrian Paul in an interview just before (or perhaps, just after) the cancellation, admitted that he would be playing Quentin in an upcoming storyline, likely to be initiated during the series' second season.   

As much as I enjoyed Adrian Paul in the series, I though it was MUCH to fast to begin the Quentin storyline.  And I believed that Quentin should probably be played by an actor not-before seen on the show.

All of that aside, originally I was really just asking if others had seen the scale model and had noticed the tower room and extended wing. 

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 04:52:23 AM »

According to the tidbits on Season 2 from Kathy Resch's DS 91 Concordance, they were indeed planning to bring Quentin into the storyline in the second season.  And as Fletcher said, Adrian Paul was reputedly going to play the role.  This would have been much too early to bring Quentin into the show IMO, but it never happened, so we'll never know how it might have played out.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 04:59:53 PM »
I agree, this would have been far to early for Quentin. They had a whole plotline about Victoria going on. She now knows that Barnabas is a vampire, plus they still haven't fleshed out the other characters.

If there is (hopefully) a new Dark Shadows I hope that they don't rush everything. Rushed storytelling doesn't serve any purpose. How are you supposed to feel any interest in the people if you don't know anything about them? All the other characters were only background for Barny, and Vicki. The only one they fleshed out was Daphne; so you would care about her when she dies.

Misa