Author Topic: Fest 2005 Reports  (Read 9285 times)

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
Re: Fest 2005 Reports
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2005, 03:07:53 AM »
NoDS was a success by '70s movies standards. In fact, its domestic box office rental total is only a few hundred thousand dollars less than that of hoDS.

Add to that the fact the NODS didn't have the massive promotional boost HODS received from the daytime series airing concurrently, and there's even less between the two.  In real terms, its performance is really quite remarkable, not least considering how drastically compromised the final cut was.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2005, 05:03:25 AM »
Then she started going on and on about how she'd gotten interested in DS late in its run ("All my friends at school stared at me and said, ¢â‚¬ËœYou mean you've never heard of DS?'") and how it was such an important part of her life.  "It spoke to my inner child!  All of you really helped to awaken my inner child!"  She kept stressing this point throughout her very lengthy statement until one fan in the audience yelled out, "Tell your inner child to go back to sleep!"  That didn't deter her though.

All I could think of were the lyrics to a song by the Eagles called "Get Over It": "I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass."  >:D

It's called Q & A, for question and answer, not P & A for "point" and applause, not that there really was a point to the whole exchange.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2005, 05:37:57 AM »
LOL, I'm glad I missed that Q&A.

But do not miss the Fest photos on www.davidselby.com-- The cast group, following the stage drama, and some NICE closeups.  :D

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2005, 06:03:27 AM »
... It was really only the die-hards left, and I think the audience must have been pretty worn out too because they were a tough crowd this year (you could say they were pretty dead.)  Usually there is some kind of reaction during the performances--laughter, applause, participation--some kind of acknowledgment of what is happening on-stage and what people think of it.  This time there was only silence.  I know I felt awkward during my performance (a parody of Disney's "Be Our Guest" called "He's Possessed" about David Collins and Quentin's ghost.)

My experience was completely different.  I did get some chuckles for mine when I didn't expect them as I wasn't working all that hard to be funny, lots of cameras flashing and smiling, happy faces in the audience.  That hall was dead acoustically.  My guess is they just couldn't hear the words which was really not their fault.  To be heard in a hall that acoustically dead, one needs to over-pronounce the consonants.  We missed several performers who didn't perform this year that have performed in years past.

I am very grateful the audience stayed to see us.  They all could have left since it was well past 10 PM before we even started. 

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2005, 05:13:27 PM »
Thanks for all the great reports.  Love the story about Lara and the daiquiri, but guess one thing that puzzles me is why someone would bring a blender all the way to a con?? Well, guess it saves on paying for expensive hotel bar drinks....

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2005, 06:58:21 PM »
one thing that puzzles me is why someone would bring a blender all the way to a con??
Many have asked that same question, but few have turned down drinks from the blender.  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2005, 02:11:03 AM »
Thanks for all the great reports.  Love the story about Lara and the daiquiri, but guess one thing that puzzles me is why someone would bring a blender all the way to a con?? Well, guess it saves on paying for expensive hotel bar drinks....

Ah what fond blurrrrrry memories! Bob's business card should read have blender will travel!  >:D

LdyAnne
receipiant of the blender

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2005, 02:20:35 AM »
    VictoriaWinters, you have a beautiful voice, but you're right. I couldn't make out some of the words you were
singing. The same went for ProfStokes, at first. :( I felt bad, too! It had something to do with the stupid sound
equipment, was my guess, b/c they DID clear it up eventually.

I also wanted to tell you it was nice meeting you! By the time we'd actually had the chance to meet, though,
I was not only fatigued but a little sick from the hotel food. :( Hope to see you at the next fest! ~DJ

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2005, 05:05:14 AM »
Love the story about Lara and the daiquiri, but guess one thing that puzzles me is why someone would bring a blender all the way to a con?? Well, guess it saves on paying for expensive hotel bar drinks....

Actually, we buy a new blender each year at a local pharmacy or retail store and either give it away or let someone take it home. This year we spent $25.00 for our blender, which was app. the equivalent of two drinks with tip in the hotel bar.  ;)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2005, 05:12:16 AM »

Thanks for that fantastic and detailed Fest report ProfStokes!  I really enjoyed reading it.

Great pics Bobubas!

~PennyDreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2005, 07:30:34 AM »
VictoriaWinters, you have a beautiful voice, but you're right. I couldn't make out some of the words you were
singing.

Thanks for the kind compliment.  It was so finally nice to meet you too.

The sound equipment seemed to work better with the speaking voices rather then the singing voices.  It's really a different use of the equipment and needed adjustment.  I'll be practicing for next year with the goal of over-emphasis of consonants.  If you were speaking to me, it would sound really stupid.  But, in a hall that acoustically dead, it should carry just fine. 

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2005, 04:19:43 PM »
Thanks for the clarification on the blender, everyone!!

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2005, 04:16:48 AM »
Actually, we buy a new blender each year at a local pharmacy or retail store and either give it away or let someone take it home. This year we spent $25.00 for our blender, which was app. the equivalent of two drinks with tip in the hotel bar.  ;)

Saves a lot of explanations to airport security, I'd wager.... ::)
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2005, 03:14:21 PM »
Saves a lot of explanations to airport security, I'd wager....

For the trip in, but not necessarily for the trip back home for the person "lucky" enough to get custody of the blender.  ;)  Well, unless that person is always a local NY or CA resident who doesn't need to go through airport security to get home.  :D

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2005, 10:16:00 PM »
    I know someone else who brought a blender to The Renaissance! Good idea. If room service, itself, costed an arm
and a leg, I'd hate to think how much a drink at the bar would be. Ouch! ~DJ