Author Topic: Fest 2005 Reports  (Read 9282 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Fest 2005 Reports
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2005, 12:52:41 AM »
By the photos you posted, in which some are similar to mine, I probably rubbed elbows with you while we clicked away up front!  And just think, I DIDN'T KNOW IT.  ::)

I know what you mean.  Now that I've seen your pics on the Frid list, I do recall seeing you but didn't know who you were at the time.  What a bummer.

I wondered what happened to Mr. Storm. He had a stormy weekend, huh?

Heh, heh.  If you follow the link in the main topic of this thread, you can read about Joe Integlia's meeting with him before the Fest, and the reason the actor gave for missing it.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2005, 01:05:46 AM »
Many thanks for the reports Midnite.  :-*
Would've thanked you sooner but I've been having problems connecting to the forum the past few days... technology can't keep me down for long though (cackle). >:D

Hugs,
Heather

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2005, 01:18:37 AM »
Does anyone else feel that this was one of the nicest Fests held in recent years? 

Oh, I absolutely agree, Midnite. The fact that the crowd was smaller added to my enjoyment. And my roomie and I had a wonderful room on the 17th floor with a floor to ceiling window and a spectacular view that stretched from the Hollywood sign to downtown LA, with the mountains in the distance.

My only complaint would be that too many of the "not to be missed" events were one after the other on Saturday. No time to eat or visit the dealers' room without missing something.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2005, 03:50:04 AM »
http://community-2.webtv.net/jttvx/DARKSHADOWSFESTIVAL/
Just updated the site for the festival. added new pictures and replaced previous ones with better quality ones.There is also info on purchasing the event on video or dvd. If u had pictures taken with a ds star from the 2005 festival, email to me and i will do my best to add them to the site!

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2005, 04:24:21 AM »
My only complaint would be that too many of the "not to be missed" events were one after the other on Saturday. No time to eat or visit the dealers' room without missing something.

Great seeing you there Bette. I agree with you about Saturday. That is the longest amount of time I've sat in the ballroom area in years. There was just one great event after the other, and nobody wanted to leave :)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2005, 04:49:26 AM »
Great photos, Joe.  That's the best picture I've seen by far of the cast following the stage drama.

Hi, Bobubas.   8)

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2005, 05:24:28 AM »
Hi, Bobubas.   8)

Hi Midnite >:D  OK, here is a photo collage of Lara and a short narrative to explain the photos. ;D
The Convention area is located on the 2nd floor on the Marriott. I was fortunate to have a room on the 3rd floor, and was able to take the escalator down one level to the Convention area, thus avoiding the elevators that seemed to run very very slow at times.
Anyway, Friday evening I had made myself a Strawberry Dacquiri in my room. (Have blender will travel) I took the escalator down to the Convention area, sporting the dacquiri in the long plastic glass I'd gotten at Coney Island a few years ago. Lara Parker was signing autographs at a table located near the escalator and spotted me holding the glass. She immediately stopped signing autographs, pointed at me me and said, "You, come over here". Who am I to dis-obey Angelique? I walked over and she said, "Where did you get that drink?" I told her I'd made it in my room and she asked me if she could get one. I said sure, let me call up to the room and I'll have one made for you. She then told me in so many words that she'd promised herself to not drink a whole lot over the weekend and asked me if she could have just a sip of my drink. Well, as you can see from the photo I obliged her. I love that photo! She looks so Angelique wicked like in it.  I showed it to Marcy Robins and she asked me if she could use it in ShadowGram. I said I'd have to clear it with Lara first. Lara of course said sure when I showed it to her.
I saw Lara later and I told her I'd make her a 'diluted' dacquiri that night. So later that night I presented her the plastic cup you see her holding. I asked if we could pose for a photo and she said, "Sure, but lets pretend like we're drunk". I just laughed, but as you can see, Lara gave the camera a crossed eyed look. We then looked at those photos someone had took with my camera, and Rich Blanco managed to capture a photo of Lara and I during that moment. Lara was so much fun and it was obvious she enjoyed herself the entire weekend. All the stars were so friendly and accommodating all weekend long. It really was a great time.  :) Bob
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2005, 05:21:07 PM »
Bob, these are hysterical!!

Thanks for sharing.  Lara's skirt makes me think she's planning on playing Magda sometime soon!

Best wishes,

Steve

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2005, 03:22:00 PM »
Sorry for the delay, tripwire, ;) but working full-time really cramps my style.

Anyway, here is my report of the 2005 Festivities. This is written from memory, so if you see something that is incorrect or that you would like to add to, please feel free to comment.  I wasn't able to attend all of the events, so please come forward if you can add to this account.  Also, I tend to cross-post my reviews on various forums/lists/sites so I refer to fans in this account by the names they use on those sites.  You will likely see some names that you recognize and some that you won't. 

Friday, July 29
On Friday afternoon the Festival officially began.  Registration was at 4:00, but of course everyone lined up before then.  In the corridor leading to the ballroom, Marie Wallace and Kathryn Leigh Scott were setting up their tables opposite each other.  I very much wanted Marie's new book On Stage and in the Shadows so I queued up with the rest of the folks to get it.  She autographed it to me and even made sure that I got my change when she ran out of single bills.  A friend took my picture standing with Marie beside the poster for her book.  We stood then in the registration line in the middle of the room; there was barely enough room as we were sandwiched between the people at Marie's table and the people at Kathryn's. Registration finally officially opened about 4:15 (so it was still pretty much on time.) Like last year there were two lines separated alphabetically.  I was a bit confused about which line to stand in because I was one of the people who took advantage of the two-for-one offer and my friend's last name started with a different letter than mine.  Everything was sorted out once I got to the front of the line and I was amused to see that the volunteers handing out name tags and programs were themselves wearing badges that read "Fashions from Ohrbach's".  Once I received my program, I flipped to the back to check the location and dates for the 40th Anniversary.  The next Fest will be in Brooklyn at the same hotel as in 2003 from August 25-27.  Be sure to get your rooms right away.  This hotel will sell out!

The evening's first event at 6:00 was a DS episode featuring original commercials.  Although I'd seen presentations like this before and enjoyed them, I didn't really feel like sitting for half an hour and watching something just then so I wandered into the dealer room to check out the merchandise and visit with friends.  The emcee for the Fests is usually Richard Halpern who is also the official Austin Powers impersonator, but this weekend he had another engagement to attend in Chicago.  (He eventually returned to us on Sunday.)  Instead we were graced with the presence of Jeff Thompson.  Jeff was one of the co-founders of the Collinsport Players and this was his first Festival in many years.  I was waiting to hear him make an announcement about Kathy Cody; earlier in the weekend a friend of mine with inside information told me that she would not be attending the Festival after all because she had to have gallbladder surgery.  But Jeff made no such announcements.  In fact nothing was said about Cody until Sunday afternoon, the very last day she was supposed to do a Q&A.  I imagine many people were disappointed by her absence; I know I was.  I had been planning to ask her about her work with Thayer David and Clarice Blackburn in "The Crucible".  Oh well¢â‚¬¦

After the video, we waited for the first panel with the women of DS: Marie Wallace, Lara Parker, and Diana Millay.  To fill the void, we saw a couple of Guy Haines's classic fan videos.  The Pet Shop Boys' "Always on My Mind" was about Barnabas and Julia's relationship and "Dreamland" by Daryl Hall underscored scenes of Maggie's torment as Barnabas's prisoner, the premise being that what happened to her was a terrible nightmare.

Once the actresses were seated, a line of questioners formed at the microphone.  One of the first questions asked was about Lara's movie Race with the Devil, the DVD of which has recently been released with her commentary.  "Is it true that the devil worshippers in the movie were devil worshippers in real life?"  "I didn't hear about that," Lara said.  "But they were scary.  We stayed away from them during the filming."  Someone else in the audience shouted out, "Was one of the devil worshippers A. Martinez?" (the actor from "Santa Barbara" and other shows.)  Lara didn't know.  When asked what was going on that was new in their lives, Lara told us how she had recently gotten her Masters degree.  "My thesis topic was about Gothic horror literature.  I learned a lot about what made DS so popular and why you all like it so much.  I read Dracula for the first time and Freud's book on The Uncanny."  It gave her a lot of insight into good and evil.  "The supernatural is so popular now," she explained, "because of the rise of Fundamentalism.  I have nothing against Fundamental beliefs, but it's just that when God gets big, so does evil.  It's a balance.  That's why we're seeing such a resurgence of supernatural-themed shows."  The fan then asked if we would ever be able to read Lara's thesis, if she would publish it.  She hesitated.  "It's very dry and dull reading--for me."  After some prodding, she finally agreed to post her thesis on her website for us to read.  Lara also told us that she had finished her sequel to Angelique's Descent called The Salem Branch.  "It's about trees," she joked.  "It's at the publisher's now. It's done; I'm just waiting for them to print it."  This book deals with Angelique's long-ago origins in Salem as Miranda DuVal. It also introduces a present-day character, Antoinette.  "Is Antoinette really Angelique?" a fan inquired.  (At the end of Angelique's Descent and in Lara's preview of The Salem Branch that she read last year it was implied that Antoinette might be a reincarnation of the witch because of her physical resemblance to her and because of her peculiar intimate knowledge of the Collins family.  "No, Antoinette is not Angelique; she only looks like her," Lara shared.  "But Barnabas believes she is Angelique and he falls in love with her.  I kept a similar name: Antoinette, Angelique."   Diana Millay has also written several books that she talked about at length.  "The Power of Halloween is my bestseller," she told us.  "Everyone is so fascinated by it."  She explained to us that she is a descendant of witches with a line stretching back to Salem (though obviously Diana's ancestors survived.)  Throughout the rest of the Q&A, Lara made what seemed to me to be several catty remarks about Diana's magic powers and the fact that she was a real witch.  I'm sure it was all in good fun, but it seemed odd to me because she had never done that at other gatherings.  Diana spoke at length about witches.  "People didn't understand what these women did.  They were healers.  They took their craft seriously but nobody could understand how they could do what they did.  They thought these women must be using magic, so they burned or hanged them."  Lara chimed in to discuss the heritage of Salem, where she had done research for her novel.  "There is a museum in Salem that features displays of three different types of witches.  The first is a stereotyped witch with a pointy hat and broomstick, the Halloween witch. The second is a woman selling her soul to the devil, the Satanic witch.  Last is a Wiccan witch, a woman in the woods celebrating nature.  These are the three witch archetypes."  "I thought it was very strange," one fan commented," that there was such an uproar in Salem over putting up a statue of Elizabeth Montgomery (Samantha from "Bewitched").  The tourist trade is built on witches.  That's how they make their money.  It seems hypocritical for them to say they don't want the statue because it's offensive to the memory of those who died there.  And when are we going to see a statue of Angelique in Salem?"  People chuckled.  "People there take their witches very seriously," Diana insisted.  "There are many shops that sell crystals and herbs.  People go there regularly to get what they need for their spells.  It's not a joke to them."

DSBarnabasFan asked Lara whether the slap that Julia (Grayson) had given to Cassandra (Lara) had been real. Lara couldn't recall that scene (although it's a fan favorite.)  "It probably wasn't," Lara explained.  "When you slap someone, it's just a stage slap; it's faked.  Somebody off-stage makes a slapping sound-effect.  Do you want to know how someone gets shot on TV?"  She demonstrated to us.  "You yell, ¢â‚¬ËœNo, no, don't shoot me' and back away.  Meanwhile, you've got a sponge with fake blood hidden in your hand and when the other person pulls the trigger, grab your chest and look down.  It looks like you're bleeding."  The women were asked if they had been invited to do any cameos in the 1991 DS Revival.  Marie said no.  Next a fan asked Lara if she would be willing to do a cameo in the new "Night Stalker" series since she had played in an episode with Darren McGavin.  Lara said she was open to it if asked.  "I hope I don't embarrass you," one woman said to Lara, "but watching your love scenes with David Selby in Night of DS got me all hot."  Lara chuckled.  "Well, if you had been there you might not have felt the same way.  That entire room was smaller than one of the circles on the ceiling." (She gestured to a round panel overhead.)  "Try to imagine cramming yourself, David Selby, a light crew, cameramen, and a director into that space.  It was a very tight squeeze."  Another fan asked about the character voiceovers.  "In scenes where your character is thinking, your actions and facial expressions match the voiceover for your thoughts.  Could you hear yourself thinking while you filmed those scenes?"  Lara told us that the actors always pre-recorded their ¢â‚¬Ëœthoughts' prior to taping and then the audio was played back during filming.  "So we could hear our own thoughts."  "Did you enjoy being on such a popular show?" one girl asked.  "Yes," Marie answered quickly.  "Well, Marie did," Lara teased.  She indicated that it had been an intimidating experience for her.  As one of the leading ladies, I'm not surprised she was under so much pressure.  "Of course none of us had any idea when we started that it would be so big.  Well, except for those of us who are psychic."  Lara shot a pointed glance at Diana.  Marie told us an anecdote about how people recognized her from her work on DS.  People knew her as Crazy Jenny even though she wore her hair teased high and had false eyelashes above and below her eyes as that character.  She had another story that was even stranger.  "I was walking down the street one day and I sneezed.  Somebody in a nearby office building had a window open and yelled out, ¢â‚¬ËœGod bless you, Marie Wallace!'  Now how did they recognize me from my sneeze?"  The actresses were also asked who their favorite character to play was.  "My favorite character is always the one I'm currently playing," Marie said.  "I loved each of my roles while I was playing them.  Eve was so delicious and evil.  Jenny was vulnerable and passionate.  Megan was the most difficult.  She started out normal and then she got that box that belonged to the Leviathans.  She became part of their conspiracy."  "It's fun to play the bad guy," Diana agreed.  "And to not know that you're evil."  She had played Laura the phoenix each time on DS.  The role was very special to her.  "I refused to play any other character.  They asked me to come back as other people but I told them ¢â‚¬ËœNo, I only want to be Laura.'  So they said, ¢â‚¬ËœOK.'  My favorite scene is the monologue when Laura tells David the story of the Phoenix.  It's because I meant it, every word of it."  Lara's favorite character was Angelique, of course.  "It took me a while to get used to it though. I wanted to be the ingenue and weep.  I would be casting spells with voodoo dolls and Tarot cards and have big tears gushing out of my eyes the entire time.  Everybody kept telling me, ¢â‚¬ËœDon't cry.  You're the heavy.  You have to be mean.'  It was so hard for me.  Jonathan Frid finally took me aside and explained to me that it was such an important part.  ¢â‚¬ËœBut I don't know how to do this,' I said.  ¢â‚¬ËœI've never been jealous of anybody.'  ¢â‚¬ËœDig deep,' he advised."  It worked.  The ladies then shared a delightful story about one of Joan Bennett's last Fest appearances.  "A fan had asked us what was our favorite project to work on--of movies, TV, or stage.  Joan had been in so many wonderful films.  We were going down the line naming different roles that we enjoyed.  Joan was at the end and when it was her turn, she said in her broad mid-Atlantic accent, ¢â‚¬ËœOh, Dark Shadows was my favorite!'  Everyone applauded.'" "You always died and then came back as different characters.  Was that hard for you?  Did you not know when you were going to return?" someone asked.  "Oh, we loved dying!  It's fun to die," Lara said cheerfully.  "In fact I remember a scene of Chris Pennock playing Jeb the green slime monster and he took forever to die.  The director kept gesturing to him to hurry it up but he stretched it out and hammed it up as long as he could."  (Actually this scene involved Dennis Patrick, not Chris Pennock; Lara was misremembering it.)  "But we didn't know when we were going to come back, or if," Marie acknowledged.  "Unless you had magic powers and could see the future," Lara added.  Jeff Thompson asked the ladies if they preferred modern or period clothes while on the show.  Diana, Marie, and Lara all stated that they preferred the period costumes.  "In the present day I had to wear a big thick coat to hide my pregnancy," Diana shared, "but in the past I had beautiful gowns to wear." Marie joked that her present-day character Eve was one of the first lingerie models. 

John Karlen came onstage to sit with the ladies but just as he was getting comfortable, Lara, Diana, and Marie had to leave.  It was time for the DS movie panel with Karlen and KLS.  First of all, Kathryn made an announcement.  "I'd just like you all to know that I'm well and safe.  Many of you know that I live in England.  With the news about the recent bombings, people have been contacting me to find out if I'm OK.  I had actually been traveling. I returned to England just after the first bombing and I left just before the second one, so I wasn't affected."  KLS doesn't live in the city of London proper; she lives in a country cottage and she told us some fascinating things about it.  After describing the layout of the estate she shared that the cottage was built over a route along which executioners often led prisoners to the gallows.  "I don't know who it was that went through those tunnels, but they must have been in a good mood.  They were probably good and drunk on their way to be hanged.  The cottage is haunted, but it's a benevolent presence.  It's really wonderful.  Whenever you go there, if you've been feeling sick, you'll start to feel better.  If you've been arguing with someone, once you set foot in the cottage, your anger subsides and you become friends again.  It really has a restorative power.  That cottage used to belong to Henry Kaplan, one of our DS directors. He owned it from 1956-1970 and then I moved in."  We then saw a clip of House of DS from the opening of the film when Maggie is searching for David and Willie tells her about the treasure map he's found.  Jeff asked the pair what they remembered about making the movie.  "That was a really good scene," Kathryn commented, "but I can't believe I wore such short skirts in that weather.  Did you see how windy it was?"  John Karlen remembered that he had brought home his curlers after the filming, but that Edith Tilles the hairdresser had ruined his hair.  He also spoke about Lyndhurst, the estate where the movies were made.  "I only went to that house twice.  Once for the filming and the second time was only last year when we held the Fest in Tarrytown."  "Is it true," Thompson asked John, "that you filmed a scene for HoDS where Willie tells Prof. Stokes the truth about Barnabas but that scene didn't make it into the final cut?"  "Professor Stokes?  Who was he?" Karlen asked.  When told Thayer David played the role, his eyes lit up.  "Thayer David!  What a champ!  What a saint!  No, we didn't have a scene like that. I would have remembered if I had done a scene with Thayer and it didn't make it into the movie."

Several questions unrelated to HoDS were also asked.  One of the first questions was whether the actors received residuals for their work on DS, the videos, and DVDs.  ¢â‚¬Ëœ"Yes, we do get residuals," Kathryn confirmed.  The Block twins from our local fan club, Shadows in the Sun went to the microphone and told Karlen how much they'd enjoyed seeing his movie Daughters of Darkness at the Egyptian Theater last August.  "It was so funny when they put that bowl over your face," Jane said. (In the movie, Karlen's character is suffocated and then cut when the women put a big glass salad bowl over his face and the bowl breaks.)  "I was rooting for you to tear it away from them and throw it against the wall."  Nancy Block reminisced about how she and her sister had become fans of the show.  "We were swimming in our pool and our grandmother told us, ¢â‚¬ËœGirls, there's a new soap on TV called Dark Shadows.  We jumped out of the pool and came inside to see it.  We loved it from the first moment."  "You had a pool?" Karlen sounded incredulous.  "I didn't have a shower until I was 14." He thanked them for their comments and then Frank went to the microphone to tease Karlen about something that had happened earlier in the day.  "I was walking toward Grauman's Chinese Theater.  In front of the building there are a bunch of people dressed as famous movie characters.  I saw this guy," he pointed to Karlen, "hitting on a pretty lady dressed as Catwoman.  I came over to help him out and said, ¢â‚¬ËœHey, aren't you John Karlen the Emmy-winning actor?'"  "You spoiled it for me," Johnny joked.  "I told her I'd won multiple Emmys."  "Where is she now?' Frank asked.  "Up in his room," Kathryn interjected.  (She and Karlen have a great rapport.)  Karlen turned his attention to her next.  "Look at this woman; isn't she beautiful?  And what's that dress you're wearing?  You showing off for the crowd?"  "At least you're wearing pants this time," she retorted.  "You know, I realize that you're both Polish, but in that clip we saw," she turned to the audience, "didn't you think he looked a lot like Roman Polanski?"  "No, no," Johnny denied the resemblance.  "But I met Roman Polanski once, and poor Sharon Tate.  Since then I have never seen or smelled a woman as beautiful as Sharon Tate.  What a tragedy!"  Again, Jeff Thompson asked if they preferred modern or period dress.  KLS said she preferred modern clothes.  Karlen didn't specify a clothing preference.  When asked who was their favorite character to play, Kathryn immediately said Maggie and Johnny chose Carl Collins.  "Carl was such a fop and so much fun to play!"  He turned to Kathryn.  "How do you define a fop?  That's not a word people hear often anymore"  "It's an English term," she began.  "It means someone who is a dandy, who pretends to be rich¢â‚¬¦someone who's foppish."  Another person went to the microphone and commented on something a lot of my friends have also said.  "Kathryn, I'm surprised that after you started playing Josette Dan Curits didn't hire somebody to touch up that portrait and make it look more like you."  "She was more beautiful than that portrait, wasn't she?" Johnny claimed.  "And she's still beautiful!"  Kathryn told us the story of how she had come to play Josette.  The story is featured at length in DS Memories, but here it is again.  "When the team first decided to introduce the ghost of Josette Collins, they planned to use a clothes dummy draped in white sheets with a fan behind it to make the clothing billow."  After rehearsal one day, KLS had seen the team struggling with the dummy and trying to find the most realistic angle.  "¢â‚¬ËœHow does this look?' asked the director.  ¢â‚¬ËœLike a ghost?'  I said, ¢â‚¬ËœNo, it looks like a dummy wrapped in a sheet.'  ¢â‚¬ËœWell, do you want to double as the ghost?' he asked me.   I said, ¢â‚¬ËœSure!'  Everyone thought I was crazy to take on extra work but I thought it was fun. They put white powder in my hair and on my face then they turned on the fan.  The powder got in my eyes and made my eyes water.  Everyone thought it was a great effect--the weeping ghost."  Another fan told KLS how DS was never the same once Maggie left.  "Why did you leave and where did you go?"  "My contract had expired," she recalled. "I wanted to move to Paris and marry my fiance, so I told Dan that I was leaving the show.  He didn't want me to go and tried to talk me into staying. He thought I was crazy for walking out.  I think that's why he sent Maggie to Windcliff; it was his revenge.  It was his commentary, his way of telling me he thought I was crazy.  He told me, ¢â‚¬ËœYou'll be back!' but the show was cancelled before I got back to the States."  Lastly, Karlen was also asked to share his memories of Dennis Patrick. "Dennis was the greatest!  Whenever we had scenes together, I had to bite the insides of my cheeks to keep from laughing.  I bit them so hard they bled.  He was so hilarious.  When he talked he got excited and his eyes would roll around in his head.  He wasn't doing it on purpose, it just happened that way.   It was so funny.  Poor Dennis¢â‚¬¦There's another one who died tragically."  (Patrick was killed in a house fire in October, 2002).

Following these panels was a video screening and the autograph session. I departed so that I could rehearse with the Collinsport Players for our skit the next day.  In the middle of one of our run-throughs, the DS actors and actresses popped their heads in to take a look.  Jim Pierson was with them; he must have been showing them the room where they would rehearse the radio play the next day.  Naturally it was a shock to have them there.  Here were the people that I'd watched perform for so long and now they were all watching me!  I tried not to let myself be distracted or feel self-conscious and we all continued with our scene.  Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Lara and Marie watching us.  They seemed to like what they saw because they chuckled at all of the jokes.  That was an unexpected treat.  When rehearsals concluded around midnight, I returned to the lobby where I was glad to find many of my friends still awake and visiting.  I hung around with them until nearly 3:00 and then went upstairs to bed.

ProfStokes 

Offline ProfStokes

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2005, 03:25:28 PM »
Saturday, July 30
Saturday morning I was downstairs early for a 10:30 rehearsal with the Collinsport Players (John Schafer as Julia, adamsgirl/Deckert as Mrs. Johnson, Jay Keaveny as Roger, Peter Mac as Carolyn/Barnabas, and myself as Vicki/Carolyn.)  However Nancy Barrett was rehearsing her cabaret act in the room we had used the previous evening so we went up to one of the cast members' rooms to rehearse.  I slipped away to catch the fan videos at 11:00.   This is one of my favorite events each year and I was pleased to see a new crop of videos this time around by DLA75.  He used montages of various episodes set to classic rock music such as "Clap for the Wolfman" for Quentin and Chris, "Gypsy Woman" for Magda and Jenny, and "Frankenstein" for Adam.  A video of "The King of Queens" episode about a DS convention followed at 11:30 but I didn't stay to watch it. Of course, I did return at 12:00 for Guy Haines's video tribute to Dana Elcar, Anthony George, and Don Briscoe.  The video was touching and beautifully done.  It comprised still photos of each of the actors, clips from their DS episodes, (including Chris's first visit to Amy at Windcliff and Burke and Barnabas comparing their adversarial relationship to a duel) and footage from other shows and movies they had been in (e.g. "Bonanza", "I Dream of Jeannie", "Checkmate", "The Untouchables", 2010: The Year We Make Contact, Adam at 6 AM). I was impressed that Guy had taken the trouble to find scenes where the deceased actors were performing alongside other DS alumni such as Dennis Patrick and Grayson Hall. 

The charity auction followed the tribute video, but I left then to eat lunch with EmeraldRose, QueenKitty, mazinG, bananabry, and Philip from our Shadows in the Sun club.  However I understand that the original Blue Whale sign from the 1991 series sold for $1,100; I could not find information about the model of Greystone that was also supposed to have been auctioned.  My friend erfette did win the Ouija board used on the show (I told him he should bring it to our SITS club Halloween party.)  When we returned from lunch, I was able to sit with QueenKitty, her husband, and EmeraldRose. 

I came in after the start of Robert Cobert's Q&A panel and I'm very glad that I did not miss the entire event.  Cobert is a hilarious, peppy, friendly man and he was a highlight of the Fest. I really enjoyed his session.  Throughout the panel whenever he was asked questions about specific songs, he would hum a few bars of his tunes.  He told us first of all that he was not a horror fan. "I don't like scary movies!  I watched the original Dracula and Frankenstein, the old movies, when I was a kid, but that's as far as I'll go.  DS was almost too much for me."  He also told us how Dan Curtis had always believed Cobert was home watching the show.  "In fact I hadn't seen any of it.  I only came down to the studio once or twice.  Whenever Dan wanted me to write a new piece of music for whatever spook he was introducing next, I'd ask him for a brief description of the character and go from there."  One fan asked if there had ever been lyrics for the DS theme song.  "No, it was too short.  But there were lyrics for "Quentin's Theme"."  He was also asked about the distinctive theramin used in the DS them and music cues.  That's when Cobert dropped a bombshell.  "I'll let you in on a little secret.  That actually wasn't a theramin.  A buddy of mine, Dick Hyman, had a Yamaha with a loose string and that's what we used to make the weird noises." Somebody asked Cobert how he'd gotten his start in music and where he studied.  "I studied at Julliard (this drew a rousing applause as Julliard is one of the most renowned music schools) but I didn't start out to be a composer.  I started out in medicine.  But music was always my first love and after a while I realized that the world would be better off if I did not become a doctor."  "What about the music in the Blue Whale?" somebody else asked.  "Where did you get your inspiration for that?"  Cobert hummed a bit of the Blue Whale theme for old time's sake.  "Those were patterned after the popular music of the day like the Beatles, a light and cheery beat."  One woman asked him, "What musicians do you admire today?"  "Hmmm¢â‚¬¦" Cobert mused for a moment.  "Well, you finally got me to shut up.  Who do I like in the world of music today?  Well, I like Eminem." (I'm not sure if that was a joke or not.)   Cobert finally confessed that he couldn't think of anybody else.  The final person who went up to the microphone told Cobert how much he enjoyed the song "Ode to Angelique" and that it was his favorite.  "I don't think I know that one.  I don't remember it," Cobert admitted.  "Can we hear it?"  Obligingly, the sound crew cued up the music.  As it played, Cobert smiled.  "Oh, yes, this is good.  This is really good!  I like this.  I think this one is my favorite now.  Who wrote it?  I like this guy!"  He sang along with the song until the end and then went off-stage.  Cobert was great of fun and I hope he decides to go to Brooklyn next year. He's someone you really ought to see as well as hear. It would have been fun to put him onstage opposite Johnny Karlen.

Next came Darren Gross's Night of DS restoration panel.  He began by telling us the sad story of how Curtis had originally made the movie 1310 minutes long.  However, House of DS had only been 97 minutes long and MGM wanted the sequel to be the same length.  So the night before the movie was supposed to be released in theaters, Curtis and company had to do a quickie edit, what one producer nicknamed "The Night of the Long Knives".  Bob Cobert began to chime in excitedly during this part of the story.  He was one of the few people who had been able to watch the uncut film as it was meant to be seen and he deplored what MGM had done to it.  "They didn't understand the movie; they cut all the good parts."  The cuts backfired on MGM in the end; NoDS bombed at the box office.  Ultimately a number of vital scenes were chopped out but Darren was lucky enough to have uncovered some scenes in a Kansas salt mine.  Some of the reels didn't have sound and weren't in color, but he was working diligently to restore it.  "We're almost done with the voicework," he reported proudly.  "We've recorded all of John Karlen, Nancy Barrett, Lara Parker, and Diana Millay's dialogue and we're half-way through with David Selby and Kate Jackson's dubbing.  This is difficult work," he reminded us.  "The actors have to match their words with their movements on film and they have to pitch their voices to sound as they did 30 years ago.  Very few people sound like they did 30 years ago."  He added that they were looking for a voice artist to imitate Grayson Hall since Carlotta is no longer with us, but he didn't name any prospects.  The clips he showed us were mostly violent extensions of scenes already in the movie: a scene of Rev. Strack (Thayer David) being trampled by a horse, Quentin roughing up Tracy in bed, Angelique's body swinging form the trees, Gerard's bloody face at the window with Claire and Tracy screaming, Gerard fondling his prisoner Tracy in the car, a scene of Gerard plummeting to his death on the train trestle and Alex making a snide comment about how the 9:30 will be running late tonight, and a silent scene of Angelique and Charles at the piano when Charles's wife Laura bursts in.  This was an important scene for Cobert.  "This scene was supposed to set the tone.  The music she's playing at the piano is the same song we hear when Charles's ghost has possessed Quentin in the present.  The music establishes that connection."  The piece de resistance was a (silent B&W) seance held by Claire, Alex, Quentin, and Tracy to contact and hopefully put to rest Angelique's ghost when Carlotta bursts in and interrupts them.

Following the presentation of the fabulous footage, Darren had a brief Q&A session with Lara Parker, Chris Pennock, and Diana Millay.  "Were you upset that you weren't involved in the first movie?" he asked.  They responded no.  "We had to stay behind at the theater and hold down the fort," Lara responded.  (True enough; their characters were the focus of the 1970 PT storyline while the other actors were away filming.)  Lara then reminisced about her role in the film.  She was supposed to have been the leading lady, but Curtis cut down her part to just a few ghostly appearances and a couple of flashbacks.  "My white dress was very stiff and I had trouble sitting down," she remembered.  "I also had to wear a lot of very stiff sparkly white make-up to look ghostly.  Those first days on the set were interesting.  Dan had just gotten started as a director and we spent a lot of time standing around waiting for him to yell, ¢â‚¬ËœAction.'  He would forget."  Chris also spoke about his role.  "I had just come from playing Gabriel in parallel time, a nervous, drunken wimp--just like I would become in real life a few years later.  But at the time, I thought I had made it big as a film star."  "Did you know, Diana, that Virginia Vestoff was originally supposed to play Charles's wife?" Darren asked Millay.  Diana claimed she did not know this.  "She would have been Samantha Collins, but she got tied up doing 1776" (Thank  goodness!  I adored Virginia's portrayal of Samantha on the series, but 1776 is my favorite musical and one of my favorite movies so I much prefer having her as Abigail to having her in NoDS.)  Diana claimed she had not known this.  "Is it true that if DS had continued, you would have returned to the series?" he followed up.  "Yes," Diana confirmed.  "But only as Laura Collins," Lara added.  "How different was it to film the movies from filming the show?" Darren next asked.  "It was intimidating at first," Lara admitted, "but we had several members of the cast who had experience at making movies: Grayson Hall and Thayer David. We all thought Grayson was a real pro.  She said, ¢â‚¬ËœDon't move.  When the camera is on you, it can see everything you do.  Your face will be huge on-screen.'  On television, you're supposed to react.  Harry Kaplan, one of the directors, always told us, ¢â‚¬ËœIf I don't see something happening on your face, you're not going to get your close-up!'"  "Is it true that Kaplan used to give you grades at the end of taping the day's episode?" Darren asked.  Lara said that it was.  "He used to scream at me: ¢â‚¬ËœB¢â‚¬¦minus!'" "He never did that to me," Diana said stiffly.  "But I have a photographic memory, so it wasn't a problem for me to learn lines." "I learned to do whatever Grayson Hall told me to do," Chris said. "Do you remember," Lara said, turning to him, "your death scene as Jeb?  You were dragging it out, crawling around the stage, rolling around and covered with green slime. They kept telling you to hurry up and cut it out because you were taking too long to die." Chris said that he did remember, and they laughed about it.  (Actually this is a false memory; it was really Dennis Patrick as Paul Stoddard who had the interminable death scene.  The cameras finally had to tear away from him before he had finished dying.  Jeb died by falling from Widows' Hill.)  Then Chris returned to talking about Grayson Hall.  "As a matter of fact," he added, "I'm involved in a production of Night of the Iguana at the Actors' Studio for this fall."  (This was the film for which Hall was nominated as Best Supporting Actress.  Our local DS fan club is planning to see Chris's show when it begins its run.)  Then Darren broke away from NoDS talk to give a shout-out to Julia99, the founding mother of Grayson's Legion and one of her greatest fans.  She has made an admirable effort to keep Grayson's memory alive and to honor her legacy.  "Rebecca Jamison is working on a biography of Grayson Hall.  She recently wrote an article on-line (see link here: http://home.comcast.net/~flickhead/GraysonHall.html) that she's planning to expand and she's also working to track down one of Grayson's early movies, Run Across the River.  There's only one print of it left that we think survived, but it's been lost.  It was given to the wife of the film's producer but she's dropped off the face of the Earth.  Nobody can find her and it seems that this is now a lost film."  Nevertheless, we wish Julia99 the best of luck tracking it down.  Darren went on to talk about other lost films and lost footage and films that had ultimately been restored.  As an example, he cited The Big Red One.  Funny he should do that, because bananabry was the sound editor for that particular restoration and he happened to be visiting the Fest that day.  I thought it was a neat coincidence. :)

Following this was a tribute to Joan Bennett with Brian Kellow, author of the new biography The Bennetts, Joan's daughter Diana (called Diddy) Anderson, and June Lockhart of "Lost in Space" fame.  Lockhart, who also hails from a prominent acting family, had gone to school with Diddy and remembered Joan fondly so that was her connection to the Bennett family.  The tribute opened with a stellar DS scene of Joan as Judith Collins who taunts her brothers with the contents of their grandmother's will, lording her newly-elevated position over them.  Kellow was up first and he told us some background information on the various family members.  Richard Bennett was the father and the head of the clan.  He was an irascible stage actor known for making snarky asides in the middle of a show if he didn't think the audience was responding well.  Once when he didn't think they were applauding as much as they should, he turned to the audience and said, ¢â‚¬ËœI guess I'll have to tell a dirty joke in order to get you to pay attention.'  Barbara Bennett, who was briefly married to Morton Downey and who is the mother of Morton Downey, Jr. was the middle daughter.  She was a successful dancer.  Unfortunately, she went through a messy divorce and Downey practically blackmailed her into giving up custody of the children (an unusual thing for a woman in those days to do.)  Barbara regretted giving in to him for the rest of her life.  Constance Bennett was the eldest and best known of the performing daughters and a wild child much like Carolyn Stoddard. Kellow described her as "the quintessential flapper."  She had no interest in acting but she only turned to it when she needed a job and couldn't (or wouldn't) settle for any other actual work.  Fortunately she was a natural at it and had a successful career in film.  Joan was the youngest Bennett and the one from whom the least was expected.  And yet she was the one who had the lengthiest and most diverse career and the one who had the most interesting life.  Kellow claimed he felt a special connection to Joan when he started working on the book and was privileged to know her in her last years.  Joan started making movies as a blonde and then dyed her hair dark so that she could get better roles as a femme fatale instead of the ingenue.  She had four daughters, the eldest of whom, Diddy, had brought with her a video retrospective of Joan's work that had played at her mother's 70th birthday party.  The film consisted of still photos of Miss Bennett and film clips, some of which dated back to the silent era.  (She was absolutely gorgeous!  I always thought so since I started watching DS.  I was 14 at the time and wishing I was Mrs. Stoddard.  If only I could look as good as Joan Bennett when I'm 60.)  The photos and films showed a range of Joan's styles with bobbed, curled hair and long, flowing tresses, blonde and brunette, from the 20s, 30s, 40s, innocent, vampish.  We also saw a few film clips, including Scarlet Street with Edward G. Robinson in which Joan's character Kitty is a conniving, manipulating tramp who rebuffs Chris's (Robinson's character's) overtures for marriage.  In the story, Kitty has only been stringing along Chris, essentially using him as a sugar daddy while maintaining a masochistic relationship with a hood called Johnny.  When Chris realizes she's made a fool out of him, he murders Kitty with an ice pick.  Diddy also read from some letters that Joan had written to her while she was at boarding school.  The letters were affectionate but filled with smirking asides.  I had no idea Joan was such a smartass.  The first letter was written after Easter break and Joan was expressing her displeasure that Diddy had lost a cross necklace.  ¢â‚¬ËœI was very saddened by the loss of your cross,' Joan wrote.  ¢â‚¬ËœI noticed you didn't have it at Easter and I hoped that you had merely misplaced it.  But now I know how foolish it is to be optimistic when total carelessness is concerned.  I am sorry about it.  I had hoped that you would pass that cross on to your own children--that is if you don't leave them in the park by mistake.'  It went on like this with Joan gently berating her daughter while at the same time letting Diddy know that she loved her.  ¢â‚¬ËœI think of all the people in my family, I am the only one who truly found happiness,' Joan wrote.  ¢â‚¬ËœIt took a long time and it was a difficult road but I have found it.  While other girls my age were worried about boys, parties, and make-up, I was worried about you.  I had you to take care of and think of. (Diddy was born when Joan was 16, IIRC)  I am so proud to have such lovely daughters.' 

Finally, June Lockhart stepped up to read "a few pages" of The Bennetts that turned out to be an entire chapter.  I didn't stay for all of this; I was feeling restless so I got up for a quick walk outside.  The section that June read dealt with Scarlet Street, Joan's best and most controversial film, the clips of which we had just watched in the tribute video.  The film was originally released in the mid-1940s and although film noir was popular back then, Scarlet Street was more shocking and immoral than the usual fare and it provoked an outcry.  First of all, Joan's character was supposed to be stabbed seven times by the icepick but the censors were so perturbed by this that it was cut down to one stab.  There's an amusing sing-song rhyme about this in the book.  June also read a reprint of an angry letter from a California moviegoer who was outraged at the violence, the immorality of the characters, the fact that Robinson's character was never punished for the crimes he committed (though his guilt eventually did drive him insane) and the catcalls of the teens in the audience.  "But I bet she stayed for the entire movie," June added.  There was a moment toward the end when the microphone emitted a terrible shriek.  A fierce look came over June's face, and she fell silent, glowering at the crowd. For a moment I thought she might storm off-stage, but she collected herself, back-tracked a sentence, and finished her reading.  It was her pleasure and honor, she said, to be involved in this tribute and to see so many people in the audience.  (At this time the ballroom had been partitioned in half even though there were too many people in the front half and a lot of room in the sealed-off rear section.  Numerous people had no choice but to stand along the sides of the room, crowding in front of the doors, left with nowhere to sit.  It made for a nice fire hazard.)  "Joan would have loved this crowd," Lockhart said.

The Bennett panel was only scheduled to last for an hour but it went on for more than an hour and a half.  This pushed the Fest schedule, which until then had only been about 10 minutes behind, to a half hour and then 45 minutes behind as they set up and tested the microphones for the "Vengeance at Collinwood" play.  Thankfully, they also opened up the rest of the ballroom for this event.  Finally it was time for the radio play.  Unfortunately, this portion of the Fest was not videotaped and I don't believe there are plans to put it on CD either.  This was the only performance of the show.  I didn't like it as well as "Return to Collinwood".  I don't think it was as well written. It contains many repetitious bits of dialog (e.g. Trask constantly prods Tony to "Kill them.  Kill them now!" and Tony replies, "Shut up.  I'll do it my way, when I'm ready.")  In one of the opening scenes, Quentin and Maggie, who are now an official couple, have an exchange wherein Maggie wakes up to find Quentin out of bed. 
Q: "I thought I heard a noise." 
M: "I didn't hear anything." 
Q: "Well, I didn't either.  I only thought I heard a noise." 
M: "Oh, you thought you heard a noise but you didn't really hear a noise?" 
Q: "That's right, I only thought I heard something but I really didn't." 
There was a wonderful scene between Lara Parker and Nancy Barrett when a lonely Cassandra makes an appearance at the Big House (Cassandra is now living in Rose Cottage) to make her presence felt (and to point out the absence of Donna Wandrey and Roger Davis.)  In the story, it is explained that Ned is traveling on business and Mrs. Franklin has taken two weeks off.  "Then you won't mind if I keep you company," Cassandra says.  "Oh, it's heartwarming to see you," Carolyn replies in a tone that says anything but.  The cattiness between these two leading ladies was delicious; I think their scene was my favorite to watch.  Thin dialogue aside, the plot was pretty straightforward and engaging.  Tony Peterson returns to Collinsport to take vengeance against the family that ruined him (In 1968, Cassandra Collins used her witchcraft to make Tony her slave) and his family, for Tony is a descendant of the Trasks and he is possessed by the spirit of his witch-hunting ancestor,r who urges him to destroy the evil Collinses.  Posing as a representative of Trask Industries who is interested in buying land from the Collins family, Tony weasels his way in to see Quentin, who is suspicious of Peterson's intentions. Both Quentin and Willie recognize the name Trask and decide to research what they can about the Trask family and to shadow Tony wherever he goes so they can discover what his plans really entail.  Carolyn is pleased to see her old beau return while Cassandra remains coy and seems to behave as though she does not remember him clearly.  She is the real target of Tony and Trask's ire.  Tony is unconcerned who he has to hurt in order to get his target.  He kidnaps and poisons Quentin's lover Maggie, using her as a hostage until Quentin can bring him Cassandra.  Quentin agrees to go along with it, drugs Cassandra, and brings her to Tony, who then shoots Quentin.  Fortunately because of Quentin's magical portrait, he survives the attack and later confronts Tony.  It is revealed that Quentin did not really drug Cassandra; she was only pretending to be Tony's prisoner and her witchcraft is still as strong as ever.  "The enemy of my enemy is my friend," she explains as she and Quentin join forces to rescue Maggie, turn the tables on Tony, and entomb him in Barnabas's old coffin.  It is implied that Tony is turned into a vampire and will have to spend the rest of eternity in that box with the ghost of his vicious, berating ancestor Trask.  The performances were good all around.  I especially enjoyed Lacy's Gollumesque turn in a dual role during which he would speak one line in his normal voice as Tony and then follow up it up with one of Trask's rasping orders.  Even though I don't think "Vengeance" was as good as "Return" or "The House", I'm still happy that I saw it. 

Following this was the autograph session.  This was the first year since my first Fest in 2000 that I waited in the autograph line.  I wanted to make sure I got Jerry Lacy's autograph.  I had purchased some pictures of him as Gregory Trask at that first Fest and I wanted him to sign one. I was also hoping to have my picture taken with him.  Ultimately I did.  Everyone lined up inside the ballroom while they screened an episode of "Love, American Style" featuring Joan Bennett.  Handicapped and special needs people went up first.  The security guard would send 6-7 people from the ballroom door to the autograph table.  Unless you only wanted KLS's autograph, you were unable to skip to a specific actor so those of us who only wanted Jerry Lacy had to wait.  The bouncer at the door was a very nice man.  He chatted with us at length about our interest in DS and the convention. He had watched the show too, but wasn't as devoted to it as we all were.  We also talked about other TV shows on the air.  He was very friendly and not at all intimidating.  He talked about some of the other people he had worked for, including Michael Jackson, though he wouldn't say much about him.  Finally, he sent us to the autograph table.  I was standing with EmeraldRose at this time and I took her picture with David Selby, John Karlen, and Jerry Lacy.  Joan Bennett's daughter was also briefly at the autograph table, but she left before we could get to her.  The line stopped for about 20 minutes in front of Selby's table and did not move at all.  We couldn't figure out why this was so but we were growing restless.  His publicist was angry too; we overheard her complaining to Jim Pierson on her cell phone, asking him to get the line moving.  A volunteer, Damian, came along reminding everybody that the actors could only give one autograph to each person in order to speed things along.  It was still another 10-15 minutes before the line budged but at last we reached Lacy.  I got to talk briefly with him.  He asked me how I had gotten involved in DS since obviously I wasn't around for the original broadcast. He signed my picture and I went around the table to get a picture taken with him.  Then I was free to get into costume for the skit and the gala. 

By this time, the events were running about two hours behind schedule.  The pilot was supposed to air at 7:00 with the Collinsport Players' first skit at 8:00 and the costume gala at 8:30.  Ha!  The pilot would have aired a lot sooner except that the fans insisted on watching the blooper tape (even though this is available for sale through MPI and will be on DVD next year.)  At long last the WB pilot aired for the first and perhaps last time.  I am staunchly opposed to remakes and I did not want to see this film so I walked out, but not before I heard a little bit about what the commentator Mark Dawidziak had to say about it.  First of all, he commented that we would not have a discussion or Q&A after the screening because "we'll be here until 2 AM."  He informed us that the WB fully acknowledged that not picking up DS was the biggest mistake it had ever made.  What with the slew of popular supernatural-themed shows on the air today--Lost, Medium, Ghost Whisperer, Invasion, the new Night Stalker--"WB could have been there too. They could have been there first, but they passed it up.  Now they're kicking themselves.  In fact, they went out and bought a machine that will kick them."  He informed us that what we were about to watch was a rough cut with unpolished special effects and with just standard music laid down, instead of Cobert's soundtrack.  He also warned us that some characterizations were very different than what we were used to (specifically Blair Brown as Elizabeth). Again, once the lights dimmed I walked out so I don't what transpired in the pilot.  Most of the people I later talked to who did watch it enjoyed it and lamented that it did not become a series.  Only a couple of people said they hated it and practically everyone denounced Blair Brown's portrayal.  You'll have to read one of their reviews to get an idea of what the pilot was like.

As soon as the pilot wrapped, the Players went on.  This was an encore of "My Fair Julia", the show we did last year in Tarrytown.  This time, fortunately, we did not have any technical errors, though there were a couple of prop mishaps. Everyone was able to ad-lib and keep the show running smoothly though.  The audience seemed to really enjoy it.  The plot of this show is that Julia is so fed up with being overlooked by Barnabas, who would prefer to go out with Victoria "your name is so lovely I couldn't surrender a syllable of it" Winters.  Carolyn decides to give Julia a make-over and they head out for a night on the town.  At the Blue Whale, Julia has too much to drink and makes a fool of herself.  Barnabas finally realizes he's been an idiot for not giving her the time of day and the two of them waltz off into the night together.  There were minor modifications to this skit; the most noticeable was that two actors (myself and Peter Mac) played dual roles.  I appeared as Vicki and Carolyn and Peter played Carolyn and Barnabas.  We did double duty to cover for Richard Halpern, who was unable to be in our skit that night.  I had never played two roles in one play before and it was quite an experience (especially those speedy costume changes) but we explained it away by saying that I was Diana Walker, the actress who filled in for Nancy Barrett in one episode of the series.  There were even a couple of jokes about how different my Carolyn was from Peter's.  We also had a couple of stalling jokes during which the characters chased around the infamous intrusive fly with fly swatters; these comic chases bought us some time for our costume changes.  It was brilliantly designed and it went off very well.

The costume gala came next.  Surprisingly a good number of people still remained to participate (nineteen in all) although many more people had been in costume earlier in the evening.  Presumably those folks had either had to leave to catch their trains and buses, or were just too tired to stick around. It was really only the die-hards left, and I think the audience must have been pretty worn out too because they were a tough crowd this year (you could say they were pretty dead.)  Usually there is some kind of reaction during the performances--laughter, applause, participation--some kind of acknowledgment of what is happening on-stage and what people think of it.  This time there was only silence.  I know I felt awkward during my performance (a parody of Disney's "Be Our Guest" called "He's Possessed" about David Collins and Quentin's ghost.)  Other performers included victoriawinters and her parody of "God Bless America", "Blair Curse My Colinwood"; a woman dressed as a 1960s waitress, Maggie Evans; a skit in which Vicki (QuentinsGal/Toni) tries to help Maggie (Maybellique/DJ/GracefulKittah) recover her memories of being held prisoner by Barnabas; Alice Faye Landis's monologue about a vengeful Polynesian spirit accompanied by a hula dance; VAM as Rev. Gregory Trask performing "The Final Brick in the Wall" (Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall"); a skit in which Julia hypnotizes Maggie into giving her all of Maggie's jewelry; a top ten list about dating on DS by Massachusetts fan club co-president Janice; a hilarious parody of "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" about the various female characters on DS sung a capella by Irene (I was very impressed; I know I could never sing without music); another a capella song by Lalinda about the fallout from Grandmama Edith's will (to the tune of "Red River Valley"); the Collinsport Players' John Schafer as Julia/Julius  singing "You Made Me Love You" and Peter Mac as Liza Minelli doing a short DS-themed cabaret routine.  Costumed performers included a realistic vampire with sharp fangs and red contact lenses; a young girl who was a dead-ringer for Angelique in NoDS; Princess Margaret, an original character who is a Bavarian countess related to the Collinses; Amanda Harris and Tim Shaw; Jeremiah's ghost; Quentin Collins and vampire Angelique.  Generally the acts are supposed to last only 2-3 minutes although some leeway is given to songs and skits.  This year though some performances lasted nearly 10 minutes!  I could see Marcy chafing and I sensed the audience growing restless too, but I applaud her for not cutting anybody off.  It was a very long show and a very long night, and I'm grateful to everybody who stayed long enough to watch it.  I only wish the schedule had been on time so more people could have enjoyed what was going on on-stage. 

When the gala ended, I went down to the lobby to visit with friends and stayed there until about 2:30 AM.

ProfStokes

Offline ProfStokes

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2005, 03:30:19 PM »
Sunday, July 31
Sunday morning began for me with a rehearsal of "Who's Afraid of the Big Werewolf?", the final Collinsport Players' skit in which Carolyn and Jeb celebrate their marriage with a party that includes zombies dancing to Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and concludes with a Twister game played by Jeb, Carolyn, Sabrina, and Chris Jennings as a werewolf who frightens Jeb terribly.   The cast members for this skit were Jonathan Harrison as Jeb, me as Carolyn, Laura Brodian-Freas as Elizabeth, Walter Down as Chris, Jaqui Baric as Sabrina and her sons Kyle and Nicki as David Collins and David's friend.  Jeff Thompson and Richard Halpern had cameos as Barnabas and Julia and victoriawinters played a zombie. 

The first official event of the day was Marcy Robin's fan panel during which time fans are able to ask questions about the show or the stars or make comments.  I took the opportunity to inquire about the survey Dan Curtis Productions circulated a couple of months ago inquiring whether fans would be interested in seeing a DS revival as a primetime series or in daytime format, and whether they would be willing to pay extra for cable/satellite.  Marcy knew what I was talking about and admitted that this had been a feeler for DCP to learn which options held the most interest for the fans and would be most lucrative for Dan to pursue in the future.  DCP did get its answers but Marcy didn't say what the results were or what they planned to do with the data.  She did explain that different answers might be worth a different number of points.  For example, a ¢â‚¬ËœYes, I want a daytime show' would be worth one point, ¢â‚¬ËœYes, I'll pay for premium cable' would be worth 10 points, and so forth.  She didn't say anything more than that but I was glad she acknowledged my question and hopefully something will come of Curtis's efforts.

After Marcy spoke, a video of the Museum of TV and Radio's tribute to Dan Curtis was screened.  I had been present at this event when it was live so I wandered out into the lobby to visit with friends.  Unfortunately I had to be in costume and in rehearsals when Chris Pennock was reading his new comic book "Fear and Much Loathing: Beyond DS", part 5 in his on-going serial.  We came in for the tail-end of it but I didn't catch what the overall plot was.  One of the featured incidents was that Chris cheated on his then-wife Marilyn with an extra from NoDS.  Another plot point dealt with parallel universes.  Chris also detailed David Block's oft-performed scene between Gabriel Collins and his father Daniel in 1840.  Chris's daughter Tara also performed a song from Wicked called "What is this Feeling? Loathing" (a capella, way to go!) that fit in with the theme of Chris's books.  I sometimes wonder what his daughter thinks of the stories he tells about the wild things he did in his youth, about the drugs he took, about the bouts of depression he openly confesses to experiencing.  I admire Chris for his willingness to be so candid with his audience, but I'm not sure how I would feel if it was my father on-stage saying and drawing such things. 

Then it was time for our skit. victoriawinters was our lone zombie dancer.  We'd originally had other dancers lined up but they had to attend a dance workshop that weekend so we were very lucky to have victoriawinters on our side.  Following the skit we took some photos of the cast so I missed the opening of Marie Wallace's talk about her new memoirs.  Marie did tell us how people often mistook her for a model early in her career.  She was an actress who did modeling on the side and she looked like a model--very tall, very glamorous. "But I didn't want to be a model who acted.  I was an actress and I knew that deep down," Marie emphasized.  "So I eventually stopped modeling and I stopped carrying around my modeling portfolio."  Marie complimented Jonathan Frid on his directing her in The Lion in Winter and pointed out that he had written the Foreword for her new book.  Marie also made a poignant comment about taking advantage of all of life's experiences when a fan asked her if she ever thought she had done all she could in her career.  "No, I've never had that feeling of ¢â‚¬ËœBeen there, done that' and I've never understood people who take that attitude.  There's always something to be gained.  Can you imagine if someone offered you a trip to Rome?  Would you say, ¢â‚¬ËœBeen there already, done that.'  I can't."  She urged us to remain open to life's experiences and then it was time for Diana Millay to take the stage.

I learned a lot that was new about Diana Millay.  She didn't start her Q&A by recounting her Lyndhurst ghost story, though the audience pressed her to do so.  Apparently she had promised some fans the previous day that she would tell it.  "Tomorrow, after the dinner," she promised (which I didn't think was fair since not everybody attends the banquet.)  "And for those of you who are coming to the Festival next year, I'll have pamphlets made with the story printed on them so you can have it to read for yourselves."  We first saw a clip of her in the Tarzan and the Great River movie trailer, then Diana spoke of her experiences making this movie.  "They really hired the right person to be in that movie when they got me.  I was the only person n the cast or the crew who wasn't afraid of the animals.  I guess whoever cast the movie forgot that so many big animals would be appearing in the scenes.  Everybody in the camera crew and the other actors were terrified but I loved them and they loved me.  The two chimps, Elmer and Vicki were my friends.  Asia the lion was my baby from 9 to 5 all week long.  Sometimes I would lie on her back to take a nap.  Everybody would be afraid because when she yawned--" here Diana bared her teeth in imitation "--they were afraid she was going to eat me.  Once Asia got sick and we had to take her to the animal clinic in town.  We loaded her into the back of the truck and I rode with her.  We actually caused a lot of car accidents on the way because people were stopping suddenly; they were so surprised and distracted to see a lion's head sticking out of the back of the truck."  She also talked about how her mother came to visit her on location in Brazil.  "My mother had never seen anything more exotic than our pet dog but when Elmer the chimp saw my mother, he just leapt right into her arms.  They were inseparable from then on."  Diana then talked about her human co-star who played Tarzan.  "Frankly, I would have preferred Johnny Weismuller. (The audience hooted)  He was a real outdoor person like I am. This guy was an executive at CBS studios.  He refused to grow his hair long.  He only made this one movie."  Apparently Tarzan's looks weren't the only thing detracting from the realism of the scenario.  "The director would have put me in skirts in every scene.  I had to push him to let me wear safari clothes.  Nobody wears skirts in the jungle."  Diana was asked if she supported animal charities--no fur, big cats groups, etc.  "No, I don't.  If it's a question of donating money, I would rather give it to disadvantaged children.  My son works with underprivileged children so I'm familiar with what their needs are.  I did support wolf preservation for a while."  She shared that she had once raised a wolf cub.  "Its mother had abandoned it and they were afraid it wouldn't survive.  But they gave it to me to care for and it was a good thing they did because I kept him healthy.  I love animals; I like them more than people sometimes." 

We also saw clips of Diana's work in "Bonanza" (she played a character called Diana) and a movie with George Montgomery called treet of Sinners.  Diana played a woman involved in some seedy deal with a pair of tough guys.  She and her friend went to meet the ruffians, one of whom was played by Montgomery.  "It's amazing that he was in a film like that--B-movies, they called them back then," Diana commented.  "He did it for the money, if you can believe that.  He didn't make much money, and neither did his wife, Dinah Shore, not until her last TV show.  She was the one who got me the part.  She didn't trust George around the other actresses and she had it in her mind that I was only eleven or so, just a kid--though I was a little older than that.  She said, ¢â‚¬ËœI trust you, Diana.'  But I really had no business being in that movie.  I had very little experience."  She was able to get experience on the set though.  "It was a wonderful, wonderful opportunity and George Montgomery was an amazing person.  I enjoyed working with him so much."

When Millay left the stage, Sy Tomashoff the set designer stepped up.  He'd been to a Fest before, but not in many years.  He'd also attended the Paley event where DS had been honored in 2001 and Dan Curtis's tribute in 2004.  Tomashoff talked about how he had gotten his start in the business and how the tactics for dressing a set had changed by the time he got to DS.  "I used to work on movies, and on movies you need the real thing. You can't just have stenciled paper on the walls; you need real wallpaper."  That was what inspired him to try for so much realism in the DS sets: real wallpaper, real stained-glass for the windows, real plaster, real antique furniture, etc.  One of the first questions came from DLA75 as to whether Tomashoff had recycled the DS sets on his other shows like "Ryan's Hope".  He had read messages online that seemed to indicate this had happened. "I don't know about that," Tomashoff said.  "You'd have to show me the sites where you read that had happened." Later in the Q&A though, he seemed to indicate that set pieces had ended up on "The Bold and the Beautiful".  Someone else asked if he had had a favorite prop (this particular fan favored the grandfather clock.)  "There was one candelabra. It had a human figure carved at the bottom.  That one stuck in my hand¢â‚¬¦" he said sheepishly.  "It's at home on my mantel."  Tomashoff was also asked why the interior of the clock had been wrapped in felt.  "The clock didn't always work," he explained, "and the felt muted it so it wouldn't strike the wrong hour. It also kept you from seeing the inner workings of the clock."  He also received questions about some of the color choices on the sets.  "Why blue candles?" one fan wanted to know.  (Anyone who has watched DS will recognize the omnipresent blue candles in the Old House, mausoleum, West Wing, and anywhere else.)  But Sy didn't seem to remember the blue candles.  "Blue candles?  You mean in the Old House?"  He couldn't say why he had chosen that particular color.  He was also asked about the colors of the bed sheets.  "There are times when you have blue blankets and acid green sheets.  What was that all about?  Just because it was the 60s?" the man asked.   "When you film bedroom scenes, you don't want to use white sheets," Tomashoff stated (though he didn't detail why they were a bad idea, but I imagine they might not show on camera very well.)   "We couldn't find any other colors but those."  Apparently the fact that the colors clashed so much was secondary.  "Where did you get all of those beautiful antiques?  And what happened to them after the show?  Do you know how much all of that stuff would be worth today?" one fan asked.  Tomashoff chuckled.  "If only we had held onto it a little longer¢â‚¬¦but we had no idea."  He could not account for the props (well, except for the candelabra, ;)) but indicated that some of them may have landed on other soap operas.  "How many Emmys have you won for your set designs, and were they all for the same shows?"  Tomashoff told us he had won seven Emmys (that's six more than John Karlen) though none were for DS.  That show pre-dated the awards, but you can bet if the Emmys had been around then, Sy would have been honored (along with the likes of Joan Bennett, Thayer David, and Jonathan Frid, I'm sure.)  Next came another question about a prop.  "There was an afghan, a throw, that found its way onto every set in every timeline of the show," one woman pointed out.  "What was that all about?  Was it a private joke for you or did you not realize you were using it so much?"  Again Tomashoff couldn't recall that particular blanket (I know you know the one--the multi-colored blanket that looks like the one from "Rosanne".)  Inevitably, Tomashoff was asked about the famous 1995 sequence in which Collinwood was trashed.  "How did you accomplish that?  And was it easier to mess the place up or to clean it up afterward?"  "Some things were pretty easy to do," Tomashoff explained, "turning over the furniture, breaking the furniture.  I also had the idea that I wanted to show some of the plaster had crumbled off the walls to reveal bricks underneath.  So I stuck paper that resembled bricks on the walls to simulate the bricks peeking through.  I also had a lot of plants growing up around the building.  We strung up cobwebs too.  It was the Friday night before we were supposed to start filming that sequence and the set crew and I were working late to get the set ready.  It was almost midnight and the foreman said to me, ¢â‚¬ËœSy, we're going home.  You can stay and work if you want but it's late and we're leaving.'  They certainly were dedicated.  Then about a week after shooting, we had to clean up the whole mess.  Cleaning up wasn't as bad making the mess in the first place." Someone else asked him if he would ever consider working on another type of show besides soap operas, like a talk show or a game show.  Tomashoff reiterated that he had worked in other formats--other soap operas, movies, and stage--but the woman kept pressing him about whether he would consider one of the types of shows she had mentioned.  "You mean something like "The Price is Right"?  I don't really want to do a game show.  Most game shows have panels that you have to lift up; that gets complicated."

Robert Rodan took the stage after Sy Tomashoff.  Kathy Cody and Geoffrey Scott had originally been scheduled to join him, but again Kathy was out with gallbladder surgery and we were informed that Geoffey Scott's wife had just had an operation so it was uncertain if he would join us.  (He never did; weird how both of the touted first-timers were deterred by medical emergencies.)  This was the first time I had heard an announcement of Kathy's absence.  Usually they will state at the start of the Fest if someone won't be able to attend.  The first thing Rodan told us was that he had just come from seeing a great movie, Must Love Dogs about internet dating.  This was something he could relate to as he had been on an online dating service for three years.  "Until I finally met my lovely fiancee¢â‚¬¦" he gestured to a woman in the front row of the audience.  Congratulations to him on finding love at last! : )   The first person at the mic asked whatever became of Adam.  "What did happen to Adam?" he puzzled aloud.  "He was at Prof. Stokes's house , there was a knock at the door, and Stokes said, ¢â‚¬ËœAdam, (here Rodan imitated Thayer's gravelly voice) go hide in the closet.'  And I went into the closet and I never came out.  Was there ever any mention later in the show about a resolution to that storyline?" he asked the audience.  We said no.  "Then he must still be in the closet.  That's what I get for talking so much.  Prof. Stokes taught me how to speak and I spoke too much. That's how I ended up in the closet."  (From what I understand, in real life Rodan had asked Dan Curtis for a raise and was immediately sacked for his audacity.)   DwightFry went to the mic and asked, "How many green sweaters did Adam have?"  "Only one, and it stank to high heaven!" Rodan said.  Then I went up to the microphone. I had never asked any of the stars a question before, but this time I had two.  First, I complimented Rodan on his performance as Adam in the early part of the storyline when he was unable to speak and had to behave like a newborn child conveying everything with gestures.  "It was very believable.  Was it difficult for you?  Did you have any special training?  Pantomime?"  "No," he replied, "but I was born.  I played it like someone who was very innocent.  Everything was new. The light was new, the chair was new, Jim Pierson was new."  I also asked him to share his memories of Thayer David (I was glad to hear some applause from the audience when I asked this.  It goes to show how Thayer still has his loyal fans.)  "Thayer, Thayer," Rodan recalled fondly.  "He was wonderful; it was a joy to work with him and to listen to his marvelous voice."  Adamsgirl/Deckert asked him a question about Adam's relationship with Carolyn.  "When you played it, did you intend for your love for her to be innocent, or was it more of an obsession?"  "It was very innocent," he explained.  "She was like my puppy dog.  I was in love with my puppy dog."  Jane from our SITS club asked if he had read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. He said that he had.  "Oh, that explains it!" she said excitedly.  "Your portrayal of the monster was so faithful to the book, how he started out so innocent and was corrupted by the people around him." Someone else asked him what it was like to work with Marie Wallace.  "Marie was wonderful but Eve gave me so much trouble..." We chuckled.  There were a couple of very odd fans about that day.  One particularly weird woman who was wearing an open blouse and practically flashing the actors went up to the microphone and demanded to know why Rodan hadn't contacted her when he was on the dating service.  "Where are you from?" she asked.  Rodan is a local boy from California.  "Why weren't you at the last two Fests?  Are you going next year to the 40th Anniversary?"  "That depends.  Where is it next year, New York?  Jim, are you paying for transportation?" he called out.  I didn't hear Pierson's answer, but it would be nice to see as many of the actors there as possible.  Someone else asked Rodan if he had been classically trained.  "No, I was a method actor."  He was also asked which format he preferred: stage, TV, or film.  "They're all very different."  In the end he seemed to be leaning toward stage and TV as his preferences.  "How long did it take you to put on your make-up and all those stitches?" asked another fan.  "It took about one to two hours," Rodan revealed.

Nancy Barrett's cabaret act followed Rodan's Q&A, but first of all, Pierson kicked us all out to do a sound check (and I had a good seat too!)   This was the same thing that had happened before "Return to Collinwood" although they didn't do it before Nancy's cabaret last year.  It took about 30-40 minutes for everyone to leave the ballroom, line up outside, then filter back in once the microphones had been tested.  Fortunately neither the line nor the wait was as long as before "RTC" and as chance would have it, I was able to get my original seat back.  Nancy's show this year differed from the one last year.  That act was more autobiographical; this one dealt with Hollywood.  It included a couple of staples like "I Wanna Dance with You" and a version of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" but it also contained other songs about the glamour of Hollywood and the dream of being rich and famous: Hooray for Hollywood, Just Go to the Movies, Oh to be a Movie Star, Bus from Amarillo (this was Selby's favorite, he later said) Razzle Dazzle, Look What Happened to Mabel, Capped Teeth and Caesar Salad, Poor Little Hollywood Star, So Beyond, Film Cliche, Movies Were Movies, As if We Never Said Goodbye.  My favorites were Look What Happened to Mabel, Bus from Amarillo, and Capped Teeth and Caesar Salad.  The first few songs emphasized the glamour of Hollywood, the stars who'd made it big, people who dreamed of visiting Hollywood.  Nancy wove the second set of songs into a story about a hypothetical secretary who dreams of making it big, finds an agent, submits her photos, auditions, squeaks past the casting director (who happens to be from her hometown and gives her a break) and reaches stardom only to find that it's not all it's cracked up to be.  Nancy closed her show with a thank you to the fans, to people involved in her show, and wrapped with the song "I'm Tired".  I really enjoyed this performance and was sorry that it wasn't videotaped.  I would have enjoyed a record of it.  Nancy hasn't lost her ability to slip from character to character in the wink of an eye--to be a shy woman, a lusty femme fatale, a cynical director, a gruff agent, Pansy Faye, Carolyn Stoddard, and even herself.  She's as versatile as she was on DS.

The final event that day was a Q&A with the stars. The program only listed a handful of people to be on stage--David Selby, John Karlen, KLS, Lara Parker, and Jerry Lacy--but in fact all of the present cast members appeared including Diana Millay, Marie Wallace, Robert Rodan, Chris Pennock and Nancy Barrett. (Jim Storm never materialized although he was listed in the program; no reason was given as to why.)  I had stepped out at the beginning of the panel to get something to eat (knowing that I couldn't hold out another three hours until the banquet) so I missed what initially went on.  Unfortunately, although we had a number of people on the stage, we didn't really learn much from them.  Few people got to ask questions, mainly because of an odd woman who did make to the microphone early on.  Jerry Lacy got most of the questions.  The first person asked him to grace us with one of his famous Humphrey Bogart impersonations.  "I'm out of practice," he protested.  "I haven't done that in so long."  However he finally gave in and spoke the line, ¢â‚¬ËœOf all the gin joints in all the world, she had to walk into mine' (this one made it on AFI's recent top 100 movie quotes list.)  Next somebody asked a fairly unusual question of John Karlen: "What is your favorite cereal?"  "My favorite cereal?  You mean for breakfast?" John seemed taken aback.  "Rice Krispies. When I was a child it was Rice Krispies and now it's still Rice Krispies." (So next year when we see Johnny in Brooklyn, let's all invite him to breakfast for Rice Krispies.)  The same woman who had practically propositioned Robert Rodan also had questions for Jerry Lacy.  She seemed to be very well-informed about his career and said she had been in his fan club.  "Why didn't we see more of you after DS?" she demanded.  "You were so good!  Why didn't you make other movies and TV shows?  We were so disappointed not to see you."  "How do you think I felt?" Jerry replied glumly. He discussed some of his other ventures.  "I wrote scripts for some sitcoms, including "Newhart", but I hated it.  I also wrote some screenplays but nobody bought them.  I did stage work."  "Tell them the story you told me about your auditions," Nancy Barrett encouraged.  "When I would go in to audition for something, people would recognize me as Humphrey Bogart," Lacy explained, (he had played Bogart in Woody Allen's Play it Again, Sam and a variety of commercials) "and they would ask me to read for the part as Bogart.  That killed me.  If I refused, they would get angry and wouldn't hire me, but if I went along with it I knew I wouldn't get the part because I was typecasting myself.  Either way, I was sunk."  Another fan praised the actors for their work on "Vengeance at Collinwood".  "Did you like that?" Selby asked.  "Would you like to see more radio plays?"  We all yelled, "Yeeess!"  Hopefully Jamison will have something for us by the 40th Anniversary. 

Then a blonde woman went up to the mic and took nearly 15 minutes telling her life story.  First she thanked the actors for coming.  "If it wasn't for you attending every year, none of us would show up." (Well, maybe she wouldn't.  It's fun to see the actors, but my main interest now is seeing and making friends.)  Then she started going on and on about how she'd gotten interested in DS late in its run ("All my friends at school stared at me and said, ¢â‚¬ËœYou mean you've never heard of DS?'") and how it was such an important part of her life.  "It spoke to my inner child!  All of you really helped to awaken my inner child!"  She kept stressing this point throughout her very lengthy statement until one fan in the audience yelled out, "Tell your inner child to go back to sleep!"  That didn't deter her though.  "Thank you all for coming, you all mean so much to me.  It's great to see you!  Jerry Lacy--where have you been all my life?  Where have I been all this time?  You've had 20 Festivals already and I got a late start.  But this really means so much to me and to my inner child¢â‚¬¦now I do have a point and I will get to it, but first of all¢â‚¬¦"  Both the fans and the actors were growing visibly weary of this spiel.  People from the sidelines called for her to hurry up or shut up.  Some of my friends and I began to wonder if she was drunk (in fact I did recognize her as someone who had been about to leave the ballroom just before the Collinsport Players skit earlier in the day; when Richard Halpern teasingly told her to sit down, she called back that she was just going to get a drink.  Maybe she had more than one¢â‚¬¦ ???) I can't remember what her final point was, but once she finally finished, everyone applauded. 

"How much did you get paid?" the next fan asked.  "It varied," Kathryn explained.  "Dan paid us on what was called a sliding scale.  The way it worked out was that the more often you were on during the week, the less you made.  If you were on Monday you might get $20 an hour--I'm just using a sum as an example--then on Tuesday you'd only receive $15 and by Friday you'd be down to $5."  That system seems unfair to me: the hardest workers get stiffed.  Someone praised John Karlen's acting abilities and asked whether he was a method actor.  Johnny admitted to studying with Lee Strasberg, "But I never finished.  Strasberg always talked about technique.  I hate that word.  You don't use technique when you act."  Nancy Barrett chimed in.  "I know what Johnny is talking about.  I heard a quotation once that "Technique is something you do when you're too lazy to really act."  This set off a mini debate among the cast members.  "You need technique at least as a foundation to build upon," Marie insisted.  John still held to his assertion that acting is something you do naturally. Pansity (Jeannie) asked an interesting question: "Which school of acting did you all study?"  "What school did I study at?" Karlen repeated.  "The New York Academy of Dramatic Arts."  Chris Pennock had studied at the Actors' Studio.  "Danny DeVito was in my class," he recalled.  "That was the little guy you used to talk about?  We see too much of him on TV," Karlen joked.  Nancy Barrett also studied in New York.  David Selby studied in West Virginia.  We didn't get to hear from everyone on the panel though because we were running out of time (thanks to somebody's inner child.)

The panel ended and we were ushered out of the ballroom; some people went into the autograph line and others went to claim their banquet tickets.  I snatched up my ticket, changed for dinner, and came back down to wait in the line to get back inside for the banquet.  The schedule was pretty much on time this night and we didn't have to wait too long.  At 7:15 we were seated (dinner had originally been scheduled for 7:00, so I call that good timing.)  I was seated at table 34 in the back with JamesLady, Cassandra, Cassandra's daughter, CollinsportHussy, pansity, Lalinda, AngeliqueWins, adamsgirl/Deckert, and QuentinsGal/Toni.  We were served salad first and then the main course: chicken dumped on mashed potatoes and sprinkled with vegetables and some kind of tomato sauce.  I can't say this was one of my favorite meals; of the four banquets I've attended, it's the one whose food I liked the least.  Usually the chicken is served with either rice or potato and vegetables, but everything is spread separately over the plate, not piled up one over the other.  It looked sloppy and because I have dairy allergies I couldn't eat the mashed potatoes or the parts of the chicken that had been sitting in them.  The chicken wasn't bad, however; in fact it was pretty juicy.  I do wish it had been prepared differently though.  After dinner entertainment included a raffle.  Nobody from our table won, but Ldyanne got a Dan Curtis book and Millicent's son won one of Chris Pennock's comic books.  Diana Millay read her ghost story (I've recounted this originally in my 2003 Fest report but the gist of it is that while filming NoDS, Diana was trapped overnight at Lyndhurst during a bad storm and was either visited by ghosts or temporarily slipped through a rift in time) and then we saw some video presentations.  The first was of Jonathan Frid's appearance as Barnabas on the game show "Generation Gap."  Barnabas stalked through a cemetery set filled with fog and asked the host, "What is your blood type?"  "Type O," the man replied.  Frid snapped his fingers in a regretful ¢â‚¬ËœOh, rats' manner and then sidled off-stage.  Next came Joan Bennett's episode of "The Dating Game".  The guy she picked (Bachelor #3) was a real loser (of the three I would have chosen Bachelor 2.)  We also saw Alex Stevens (the werewolf) on "What's My Line" in full costume and make-up.  After his identity was revealed, he removed the werewolf trappings (furry wig, prosthetic nose, strips of fur on his cheeks, black eyeliner) He said it took about an hour to put on but it took him less than a minute to get it off.  We also saw some clips of Alex's other stunt work (he even doubled for Frank Sinatra).  In the clips we saw, he dressed as a woman and leapt from a moving car before rolling down a hill and also jumped off a tall building.  Relevant clips from the "King of Queens" and "Gilmore Girls" episodes pertaining to DS also aired; these were very cute to watch.  We saw a deodorant commercial with Jerry Lacy as Bogart and Marie Wallace as a dame and a brief romantic comedy sketch with Lara Parker and George C. Scott.  Before the evening closed, Pierson made an announcement that a Polaroid camera had been found.  This belonged to JamesLady.  She'd been lamenting its loss all evening and was very glad to have it back at last.

Following the banquet, we went out to the lobby to take pictures and chat.  EmeraldRose, QuentinsGal, Mary, jimbo, EvanHanley and I were the last to leave circa 3 AM.  I was so sad to see the evening end; it had been a wonderful weekend.  Fortunately I was able to stretch it out a bit the next morning by wishing friends farewell in the lobby. I can't wait to see everyone again in Brooklyn next August 25, 26, and 27!  :-D

ProfStokes

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2005, 05:01:58 PM »
"Is it true," Thompson asked John, "that you filmed a scene for HoDS where Willie tells Prof. Stokes the truth about Barnabas but that scene didn't make it into the final cut?"

I bought the HODS/NODS scripts book from KLS and that scene IS in it.  So I think the actors just forgot it was cut out of the movie.

Wonderful details, ProfStokes and wonderful meeting you!! I have a pic of us if you'd like to see it.  In fact I put it in a collage.  ;)
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2005, 05:58:15 PM »
Yeah, the scene was definitely shot. We have photography from that scene.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2005, 08:53:02 PM »
The cuts backfired on MGM in the end; NoDS bombed at the box office.

Actually, that's a myth that somehow refuses to die (just like the one that NoDS received predominantly bad reviews).  :(  The truth is that NoDS was a success by '70s movies standards. In fact, its domestic box office rental total (the amount of money that a movie takes in as a profit in the US) is only a few hundred thousand dollars less than that of hoDS. But for some odd reason people seem to think hoDS was a huge success and NoDS was a bomb.  :-

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2005, 11:56:25 PM »
So later that night I presented her the plastic cup you see her holding. I asked if we could pose for a photo and she said, "Sure, but lets pretend like we're drunk". I just laughed, but as you can see, Lara gave the camera a crossed eyed look.

All RIGHT! !

These pictures are the best!
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>