Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0106  (Read 1019 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0106
« on: November 29, 2011, 01:46:16 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0106
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 02:04:26 AM »
We didn't see Roger in the back of the police car, being led into the station, put in the cell... something to see I think.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 06:26:14 PM »
In the opening voiceover of this episode, Vicki says she arrived at Collinwood months ago--but in real time less than two weeks have passed since her arrival. We're up to day 11 or so, right?

It would have been fun to see Roger taken away in handcuffs or something.

It's strange that no one in this maritime community seems to realize that in the interval between Roger’s finding Bill Malloy’s body and Vicki’s finding THE PEN on the beach, the tide has come in and out several times!

Carolyn is in tears as she assures Vicki that she's known her uncle Roger all her life, and that he would never try to kill her. But didn't Roger and David live off in Augusta or somewhere?

Roger gets one of the best episode-ending lines ever as he snarls to the sheriff, I just can't take any more! Someone may want to do away with our little governess. But that someone is not I!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 09:10:50 PM »
Great performance from Dana Elcar. Good line of questioning.

I’m not quite sure what to make of Roger’s appearance. He looks as though he’s been sitting in that cell for more than one night. He also looks like he was on a bender.

In the opening voiceover of this episode, Vicki says she arrived at Collinwood months ago--but in real time less than two weeks have passed since her arrival. We're up to day 11 or so, right?

Yes, I have a problem with this real time business too. When she first met Frank (dreamboat) Garner, he said something about her being at Collinwood for two months or something like that. I think it's real time for a while and then the story sort of morphed into days and weeks. Know what I mean?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 10:31:51 PM »
The idea of having the story play out in real time was Art Wallace's concept.  After he stopped actually churning out the scripts, the other writers treated time in a more fast and loose way, but also a way that seemed more natural to the viewer for whom weeks and months HAD passed since the start of it all.

My favorite time-trippy moment is that when Vicki is thrown back into 1795, it is the Fall of 1967.  When she returns, "only a moment has passed" and yet the calendar reads April of 1968.  Of course, it would have seemed very strange to viewers at the time if they had pretended that it was still 1967.

At some point in the 1795 storyline, she's in the gaol with Peter and saying dialogue about getting back to 1968.  Years later the same thing happened with Barnabas and Julia discussing a return to 1971 at the end of the 1840 storyline.  When they had left Collinwood, it had been Sept.-Oct. 1970.

G.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 10:58:51 AM »
Carolyn is in tears as she assures Vicki that she's known her uncle Roger all her life, and that he would never try to kill her. But didn't Roger and David live off in Augusta or somewhere?
But I don't think Roger moved to Augusta until after the manslaughter trial ten years ago, and surely Elizabeth would have let him come home for visits.  Short visits.  And Roger gave Carolyn a ring for her sixteenth birthday.

But that someone is not I!
I appreciated the good grammar.

I was surprised that Richard Garner didn't ask to see Roger as soon as he got to the police station; apparently the first time Garner saw Roger was when Roger was brought into Sheriff Patterson's office.    Maybe that was because it's Elizabeth, and not Roger, who is paying Garner.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 11:28:20 PM »
I'm having issues with this again.  Bill's death was ruled an accident.  To reopen the case a grand jury would have to be called and new evidence presented to a jury to determine if there is enough evidence to reopen and reclassify this case as possibly being murder.  Vickie now thinks Roger is trying to kill her.  Roger is apparently arrested for having a pen.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 11:38:44 PM »
It might well take a grand jury to open the case of Bill Malloy's death (I don't know, but I gather you do, alwaysdavid), but the attempt to run Vicky down offers a back door way to approach it.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 11:44:39 PM »
.In my state anyway. I imagine Maine would have similar protections in place.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times