Poll

In which storyline do you think Barnabas was his most fascinating?

17 (51.5%)
11 (33.3%)
0 (0%)
1969/1897
1 (3%)
Leviathans
0 (0%)
1970PT
1 (3%)
1995/1970/1840
3 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Favorite Barnabas  (Read 2357 times)

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
Re:Favorite Barnabas
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2003, 04:22:39 AM »
I prefer the Barnabas of 1967. I also liked Barnabas in the 1795 storyline. He was at his most interesting in those two storylines, IMHO.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2003, 10:50:19 PM »
Well, the results are in, and it looks like 1967 Barnabas rates as the most fascinating with just over half the votes.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote and express their opinions.  [smlyg]

Offline MaineGirl

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2003, 11:22:03 PM »
Barnabas' character evolved quite a bit over the years. So, the question is: which version do you find the most fascinating?

This one's a gimme. Don't even have to pause to think. My favorite Barnabas was the 1967, when he was still new, still evil, still complex, still having FANGS that he would use, or threaten with. And the glare in his eye, lest anyone discover his big fat lie. Or the intolerance with which he would view his most faithful of servants. In those early days, the whole cast, including JF, threw themselves into the part they were playing. It all seems so real to me, sometimes, when I'm watching it, because they believed it. Or they seemed to. Barn was more a complex evil than a pure evil. He had goodness inside of him...somewhere, but I always prefer it when he doesn't expose that part! I prefer the cruelty. It's far more provocative, I think.

;)

Regards,

Maine Girl

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2003, 02:51:18 AM »
I have to say 1795 is my favorite with 1967 being second. I was absolutely spellbound by his brilliant performance when his character first discovers that he is one of the 'living dead'. The lighting for the scene  showed off to the best effect his remarkable face that was changing from the puzzlement of it all to the slow realization of what he had become.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2003, 10:38:40 PM »
I agree with most of you folks. Intro to Barnabas and 1795 are my fav Barnabas favorites. It's interesting that I've read JF tell how bad he was in the beginning and how difficult it was for him to memorize his lines. I think that scene when he shows up at Collinwood as the "cousin from England" should be classic TV. I loved how both JF and Clarice Blackburn played it. JF originally gave Barnabas a sort of debonair assurance he lost a bit in 1795. I guess his interpretation of the role changed somewhat as he went along.

1795 though just reveals unbelievable stuff in Frid. At his best his readings to both Angelique and Josette were often poetic. I also think he was terrific with Ben Stokes (example when Barnabas asked Ben to reveal who the witch was in the dust, A for Angelique or V for Vicktoria). And just after he became a vampire especially his groan at Jeremiah's tombstone and when he told Ben he had some "strange and remarkable powers" were powerful indeed. Yeau, JF often forgot his lines but he's a joy to behold when his stuff is together.