Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0698  (Read 438 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0698
« on: May 08, 2014, 05:18:06 PM »
Robservations #698

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0698

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 08:20:30 PM »
During the VO, we get a sort of "pensive" close-up of the werewolf's face, which is pretty peculiar... his jaw goes left and right for some reason...   It was well done, when we saw in flashback it all coming back to Sabrina, the birthday party, the transformation, except we never see the latter, because she can't tolerate getting that far.  She lets out a strange yell instead, that the actor seems to have put thought into.  It comes out of a very different place than a simple, ordinary terrified scream from a not-previously-traumatized person, who hasn't been silent and immobilized.  Lisa Richards was good as a trauma victim.  She was also very good at tolerating Roger Davis.

An unseen, offscreen seance to "contact" Quentin is said to have happened.  It always seems strange to me when DS characters try to "contact" a ghost who's already making contact left and right like crazy... but I guess they can't communicate with words otherwise. 

Major jump-cut edit as Barnabas and Julia? (I forget) open the mauseoleum, and they discover Chris is still a werewolf.  End.  One 1969 ep left or two, I wonder.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 02:37:32 PM »
Ned fishes in his pocket for cash to pay Julia, who tells him frostily that she'll send a bill. After she and Barnabas leave, Ned asks Sabrina, What did you remember? Please tell me! he begs her as he takes her hand and presses it against his face. I know it had to do with Chris, that night! Even though he nearly pulls her wig off as he caresses her face rather violently and pleads with her, she simply stares up at the ceiling.

Barn and Julia argue at the Old House. We’ve been shielding a werewolf, Julia winds up, even though she herself has done far worse in shielding a vampire. Are you afraid? Barnabas asks. We haven’t been able to help Chris, Julia points out. You were more patient when you were helping me, Barnabas recalls. [You just don’t get it, Barn!] I said I’d see Chris through this, he vows. I don’t know how we are going to end that curse, but I will do it--with or without your help, he adds. I understand, Julia says quietly as she gazes at him with an emotion that any other man would instantly acknowledge. But at least  Barnabas knows he will have her help. We must find a way to stop Sabrina from telling her brother, he declares.

It's taken Ned two years to figure it out, but he finally realizes that Sabrina has been protecting Chris. The poor girl takes one look at herself in the mirror and screams.

It’s 5:25 a.m. by the desk clock at the Old House. Barnabas and Julia have stayed up all night. It’s nearly dawn, Julia says wearily, time to go to the mausoleum--without a solution, she laments. How far fetched all our scheming is! There’s no solution for Chris, she says in frustration. There must be a solution! Barnabas insists. Julia says, We'll let him out and hope he'll get through another day before being found out. Barnabas says, Every time we talk, I feel there's more of a connection between Collinwood and Chris. I don't know what's happening there, either, Julia remarks. Why did the ghosts want the children? Why did they get everyone out of the house? I saw Stokes and Roger, she reports. They had a séance there [the first one unseen by us] and tried to contact the ghost, but all they heard was his laughter. Barnabas says, We must tell Chris about Sabrina and the cane. Otherwise, he'll have to spend his days waiting for the phone to ring, a knock at the door.... He can’t live with that kind of tension, Julia protests, no one can. People do, Julia, Barnabas answers, more than you realize. [But I’m sure he knows that she does realize and that he’s referring to himself as much as to Chris.] I think I should tell Chris, Julia decides. Barnabas suggests, Perhaps Chris himself will have an idea about how to handle this.

But when Barn and Julia open the secret panel after sunrise, the werewolf snarls and growls (and is still shorter than when he’s Chris) even though it’s daylight.

MT, Episode 700 will be our last sight of 1969 for quite a long time.