Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0697  (Read 509 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0697
« on: May 07, 2014, 04:34:09 PM »
Robservations #697

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0697

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 04:49:17 PM »
Louis Edmonds VO.  Barnabas finds Maggie as [spoiler]Rachel Drummond?[/spoiler]  Roger's starting to cope nicely, apparently after having remembered that his social position trumps that of a ghost squatter, even if he is family.  I like how he hears Q's music, gets his back up, and continues calling the police.  Quentin letters "David is Mine" very nicely in the whatever book...

Maggie calls Roger Edward.  That means I missed the earlier reference(s) to Oscar this time around.  BIG hair bump on Ned.  Roger Davis nearly whacks Lisa Richards in the head with Barnabas's cane.  Sabrina sees the Moon, then is alarmed by the wolf's head cane.  She's made up to be yellow and purple...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 06:30:48 PM »
Whatever else we may say about Quentin, he seems to have very nice handwriting--unless he got Beth to write the note for him. I guess we should assume that he also got Beth to change Maggie's clothes--?

Roger is so upset about Quentin pranking his attempts to call the police that he is actually drinking tea rather than brandy. He tells Barnabas, I’ve asked Professor Stokes to meet me there. I hope he has some ideas. Stokes does have a most curious theory--when there's a full moon, legend has it that possessed children are extremely restless. [Who knew?]

Roger finds a scrap of Maggie's 1968 dress--in the fireplace at Collinwood. Poor Maggie--this would have been the second time a Collins tried to erase her personality. In any case, I don't think the blue dress she wore in ep. 696 ever appears again.

Then, Roger actually applies his intelligence when Maggie calls him Edward. What did you call me? he asks, startled. Edward, she repeats in surprise. Edward Collins was my grandfather, Roger explains. Quentin was his brother! [Evidently the writers are putting finishing touches on the family tree for the 1897 story arc.] Roger continues, He wants you as you were dressed when Barnabas found you. Maggie, Quentin is trying to bring you back to his time. He failed with you--but has he succeeded with David?

The first time I saw this ep., I was ready to tear my hair out when the writers switched to the Ned story.

Barn has locked Chris in the mausoleum and goes alone to see Ned and Sabrina. He has to conceal his shock when he first sees her, but with his usual courtesy, he says, How do you do. Do you think your cousin will end up like this? Ned asks. Barnabas turns pale and steps away from them. Can you even look at her? Ned asks furiously. Barnabas tells him, This is the kind of scene your sister should be avoiding in order to have any peace. As he and Ned argue over Sabrina’s head (literally, since she’s still sitting in the wheelchair), she looks up and sees that the moon is full. Look at her, Barnabas says with pity. You have made her life so difficult. Putting his hands gently on Sabrina's shoulders, Ned says, If the only way I can make her remember is to shock her out of it, then that's what I'll do. You’re cruel! Barnabas protests. Ned kisses his sister's forehead, then says, I won't have any life until my sister has one--and you can tell Jennings that! I believe he already knows, says Barnabas quietly as he turns to leave. Turning to Sabrina, he says with utmost courtesy, Goodbye. I hope that one day you’ll realize that coming here was a bad thing to do.

Perhaps his gentle voice and demeanor have finally gotten her attention. Suddenly she notices his wolf's-head cane--and reacts with sheer terror. Ned grabs the cane and holds it in front of her face. She starts gasping and moaning. Seeing her pain, Barnabas wants to take the cane back, but Ned refuses to let it go. She’s remembering! She’s remembering! Ned insists triumphantly, but her eyes grow wide with horror....