Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0683  (Read 542 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0683
« on: April 17, 2014, 05:02:02 PM »
Robservations #683

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0683

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:00:03 PM »
This and the next episode are two of the saddest in the whole series.

DB reads another fairly long opening voiceover.

Barnabas suspects that the kids might have murdered Madam Findley but has no proof. It's fun to see his Enlightenment-era mind at work.

The story reflects the benighted views of an earlier age. Elizabeth hasn't told the kids that Madam Findley is dead because she didn't want to upset them. Sheesh.

Chris is making up a bright, cheerful fire when Amy visits him. Once again she assures him that he'll be all right but once again doesn't explain. Barnabas and Julia also visit and question him about the blonde woman in the white gown, but he doesn't know anything about her, not even under hypnosis.

Beth is now strong enough that when she touches Amy's shoulder, Amy feels it. She gives Amy a doll to keep safe. A long time from now, we'll find out out more about the doll. For now, Amy promises to take care of it--as long as no one gets hurt. She has to hide from Barnabas and Julia, who are also going back to Collinwood, even though they've spent far longer with Chris than Amy's been with Beth.

Beth still has one more errand. Chris suddenly hears spooky music. Under its influence, he leaves the cottage and takes a left outside the door. He is walking through the woods, following the sound of the music, when he senses a presence. He stops near a tree, turns around--and for the first time sees the tall, blonde woman in the flowing white gown. Who are you? he demands, then suddenly realizes. You’re the woman! he exclaims. What do you want? Beth points to a spot on the ground. Can you talk? he asks. Silently she points to the tree. He turns to look at it, but when he turns back to her, he is utterly amazed to find that she has vanished.

Barnabas and Julia have just (1) decided they have to expose Chris if they can't help him; and (2) realized they don't know where Amy is. Suddenly Chris bursts in and tells them about what happened in the woods. Barnabas tells him to take him to the spot immediately.

Meanwhile, Amy emerges from the secret panel in the drawing room, still holding the doll.

Barnabas and Chris arrive at the spot that Beth indicated to Chris. A shovel has materialized and is leaning against the tree. We should start digging, Barnabas says, but it’s Chris who actually takes the shovel and gets to work.

Amy is sitting by the drawing room fireplace, singing “Rockabye Baby” to her doll, when Julia finds her. We’ve been searching everywhere for you, Julia tells her. I was down in the basement, playing, Amy says casually, and I found this doll. [Next to the antique telephone, no doubt.] I want to keep it. Julia compliments her on her find and comments, It looks very old. I suppose you can keep it. Amy promises, I’ll be very careful. I won’t let anything happen to it.

Chris has unearthed a grim, pathetic find--an infant’s tiny white casket. Gently he and Barnabas lift the unmarked coffin from the unmarked grave. We should open it, Barnabas says somberly. The woman brought you here for a reason, and that coffin must be why. Chris uses the shovel to loosen the lid, then raises it. He and Barnabas look inside….

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 12:34:09 AM »
Yes, that was unexpected, Barnabas thinking the kids might have killed M Findlay... and we don't know for a fact that they didn't.  Kinescoped episode.  Chris is hypnotized, to reveal hidden knowledge about Beth, but it's a dead end.  I suppose some things have to be done in the story just because viewers will say "Why didn't they try such and such?"

I wrote "Bet Barn won't do any digging with Chris", and he didn't...  When they reveal the child's coffin, it looked silly when Chris treated the lid as if it was a heavy adult's lid...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor