Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0675  (Read 773 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0675
« on: April 05, 2014, 04:53:01 PM »
Robservations #675

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0675

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 08:59:46 AM »
Is this the first police station scene since Dana Elcar left?  This ep is about the aftermath of Donna F's death.  Carolyn has scratch marks on her face.  Mr. Garner is mentioned...  Julia proceeds to leave her fingerprints all over Chris's cottage, as Barnabas looks for evidence of Chris's guilt to destroy.  Barnabas decides to save Chris by providing an alibi, then lurks at Chris's house, tells him "You are the werewolf"... end.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 06:16:57 PM »
From now on, Barnabas will have plenty to occupy his mind and help him get over losing Victoria Winters forever.

I think you're right about the police station, MT. It's been a while. And today we even get a bonus--the morgue, properly stark and grim.

I suspect we've seen the Blue Whale for the last time in RT.

Today's episode occurs two days after Chris tried twice to pull down the shade on his front door. Today a different shade on the same door gives him no difficulty. And we get yet another nice bare-chest shot as he strips off yet another bloody shirt.

After blurting out Chris's name to the sheriff, Carolyn races to the cottage to warn Chris that Donna is dead. When the sheriff arrives, Chris is horrified on seeing that Donna's purse (I used to have a very similar one!) is still on the table. Quickly he conceals it from the sheriff's view. Then they leave for the police station.

At Collinwood, Barnabas stares at a headline in the Collinsport Star: "Mystery Murder." Julia and Barnabas blame themselves for Donna's death. If we hadn't let Chris take Donna with him, could we have stopped it? Julia wonders. I doubt it, Barnabas replies. Wherever Chris and Donna went last night was Donna's fault. [Sheesh, he makes it sound as if Donna wanted to be killed!] Carolyn returns and gets furious when she thinks that Barn and Julia suspect Chris of murder. She storms out to phone Frank Garner--possibly the last time his name is mentioned. The lawyer apparently gives her some good advice. Maybe she didn’t call Tony Peterson because she knows he would rightly regard Chris as a rival.

Barnabas and Julia hurry to the cottage, looking for evidence that might implicate Chris. They find the bloody shirt and Donna's purse, complete with ID. Barnabas raises the shade and reminds her, There will be another full moon tonight. [This would be the fourth night in a row! Surely even in the world of Collinwood, the moon must start to wane sometime!]

At the cottage, Barnabas rolls up Chris's shirt. Julia has Donna’s handbag. Barnabas warns Julia, The police will probably be here shortly. You can't do what you're planning to do, she warns him back. We’ll discuss it on the way back to Collinwood, he says, hoping to silence her. What you’re planning is madness! At least hear my point of view! Julia, I respect your opinion, he assures her. But I must follow my own intuition this time, and no one must stop me. Come quickly! he orders as usual, hustling her out the door. They leave the cottage.

As the shadows lengthen at the police station (nice lighting touch!), Chris wonders, How much time do I have? Give up and get it over with, he tells himself. Tell Patterson what happened last night, what will happen tonight. He calls out to the sheriff. I remember everything! he shouts. But Patterson is on the phone and says into the receiver, I'm glad you called, Mr. Collins. Thank you. Patterson rejoins Chris and tells him laughingly, You shouldn't be embarrassed over your blackout last night, Mr. Jennings. Absolutely floored, Chris listens open mouthed as the sheriff explains, You're lucky you were out drinking with Barnabas Collins, the best alibi in town! I apologize for causing you so much trouble, but I know now that you spent the night at Mr. Collins’s house. Laughing again, he advises Chris, Drink some milk first next time--it coats the stomach!

Chris returns to the cottage. When he opens the door, he has an additional surprise. Barnabas is calmly sitting in a chair, waiting for him in the darkened room. Mr. Collins, I don't know why you did what you did, Chris says, but I'm grateful. I appreciate it. At that moment, the clock strikes 6:00. Abruptly, Chris tells Barnabas, Get out! I can't talk now! You're coming with me when I leave, Barnabas tells him with utmost assurance. I know you, Chris, are innocent, Barnabas declares. Thank you, Chris says, but I still want to be left alone. You don't understand, Barnabas!  he pleads, his voice scaling up as fear overrides formality. Yes, I do, Barnabas replies calmly. I understand the most important thing about you--that you are innocent, he repeats. What do you mean by that? Chris asks in astonishment. Barnabas rises to his feet formally. Chris is utterly stunned as he answers quietly, I know that you’re not only Chris Jennings. I know that you are the werewolf.......

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 06:23:24 PM »
As the shadows lengthen at the police station (nice lighting touch!)

I didn't notice!  Things like that are important even if we never perceive them consciously.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 09:51:38 PM »
The DS Wiki site has a very nice frame grab here.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 11:22:03 PM »
The Blue Whale is seen on the Leviathan episodes.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 02:24:33 PM »
Good, thanks, Joey!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 03:07:21 PM »
We even see the Blue Whale in [spoiler]1949, if that's when Paul Stoddard leaves Collinsport![/spoiler]

Thanks for linking to screencaps DL... I want DS screencaps, but most sites freeze up for me now, and this one did.  I might go back and watch for that light effect.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 08:53:22 PM »
Yes, MT, I believe your spoiler is correct!

Too bad you can't link to the Wiki frame grab. The light effect is nice.