Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0668  (Read 447 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0668
« on: March 27, 2014, 03:38:45 PM »
Robservations #668

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0668

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 04:24:58 PM »
Maggie comes to David's room to check on him. Amy says she had a bad dream about David and came to make sure he was okay. It was just a nightmare, Maggie says, trying to comfort Amy. Amy says, I’ve had the same dream, lots of times, about people I like. So many people have died--my parents, and Tom. (Twice, but luckily Amy doesn’t know it.) Sometimes I get scared to like people because I’m afraid they'll leave me and die. [The poor little thing probably isn’t lying about this part!]

Carolyn and Chris's romance is blossoming. She offers him the use of the cottage, which probably has been empty since the demise of Matthew Morgan.

Wearing their nineteenth-century clothes, David and Amy make it to the drawing room without being spotted and can hear Chris and Carolyn's conversation in the foyer. Amy will be very pleased, Carolyn tells Chris. I'm pleased, too, Chris says. [As the children sneak through the drawing room, David blows out his candle and then blows out Amy's candle. But Amy's candle is already out. Seeing this, David smiles at Amy, and she smiles back. They look adorable!]

David relights the candles, and he leads Amy to the servants' quarters in the West Wing. Why does Quentin want us to come here? Amy wonders. Quentin’s music plays, and this time, they both hear it. I know where we are, Amy says, becoming possessed by Beth. We’re in my room. Quentin, you shouldn't have come here, she says softly. I'm afraid of them. I'm afraid of both of them. Don’t be afraid, David says, becoming possessed by Quentin. They can't do anything to us. Amy protests, But he hates you so, and so does she. No more than I hate her, David replies. You don't believe in her powers, in her curse--but you should, Amy says. David replies, I'll find a way of stopping her.

On her way to bed [In the deserted, _haunted_ old servants’ quarters? And didn’t she famously declare that she wouldn’t sleep at Collinwood?] Mrs. Johnson stops in the hallway when she overhears the children.

You can't stop her, Amy pleads. I don't know if anyone can. Mrs. Johnson presses her ear to the door. Don't worry, David tells her. I'm tired of their interference. I’m going to put an end to it. Mrs. Johnson opens the door. Having heard what sounded almost like adult voices, she gasps in amazement when she sees David and Amy. Mrs. J chides them for disobeying all of "Miss Carolyn"'s orders. (She really should call her "Miss Stoddard" as Harry properly does.) Later, Mrs. J tells Maggie all about it. Maggie defends them and says she used to enjoy playing dress-up herself as a kid. [spoiler]Pretty soon, she won't like it quite so much.[/spoiler] Mrs. J sticks to her guns and adds that she doesn't like the way David has changed.

The children have returned to David’s room. Amy tells David, I feel funny, not the same as I did downstairs. I don't feel like Beth, and I don’t want to be her. He stalks toward her, insisting, You're _Beth_! Not really, she says, I'm Amy. He grabs her and orders her, Don’t talk like that-- not while we're playing the game! Don’t get mad, she pleads. He tells her, Remember the rules of the game: When we're wearing the clothes, we're Beth and Quentin. I understand, Amy says meekly. David locks his door and warns her, We must be more careful and not get caught again. What will happen now? she asks. David tells her, Something will happen to Mrs. Johnson. What? she asks worriedly. You’ll see, David replies, wearing a smug, wicked grin.…..

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 06:23:18 PM »
Amy's a great, think-fast-on-your-feet liar.  She even drags her own recently deceased relatives into her story, which must be totally convincing.  I mean, a nice little girl using that as material to prop up a lie?  Unthinkable. 

David as Quentin and Amy as Beth fear Magda and Sandor (unnamed), we find out.  Mrs. J walks in on the dressing up aka possession.  Clarice makes a well-acted speech to Maggie about fearing the kids.  It seems DS really needs two or three great character actors like C Blackburn as glue to hold the show together, as it threatens to fly apart due to unbelievability.  They make it real. 

DL-- LOL at Amy losing Tom twice.  "I've lost so many members of my family Maggie... in fact some died twice!"  Is Carolyn now perhaps using the caretaker's cottage for the same purpose Quentin used to, housing Chris there?  Shame on my me and my cynicism... just kidding... though subconsciously...?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 09:47:23 PM »
Tsk, tsk, MT!  [snow_wink] I'm sure Carolyn had nothing else in mind but helping out a childhood friend.

Any scenes with Clarice Blackburn (and Thayer David) were great. Anyone else would have hammed up Abigail Collins, but CB made her seem like a real person instead of just a caricatured cardboard cutout.

Online alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 04:52:39 PM »
I find David particularly menacing in this episode.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times