Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0034  (Read 1611 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0034
« on: August 12, 2011, 12:55:35 PM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0034
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 01:18:50 PM »
For me, these early episodes are all about the location shooting. And the food.

Burke tells Vicky that the Blue Whale has the best lobster in the world. Well, they’re in Maine, after all. But I somehow don’t envision the Blue Whale as a top notch dining place. Then he suggests steamers. Can you picture Vicky picking and dunking clams, first in broth to wash any sand off, and then into butter? I don’t think I could unless she was sitting at a picnic table on the beach and wearing jeans and tee shirt.

Vicky’s a chocolate malt and/or champagne girl. Me? I’m a beer girl all the way. Order me a beer and a bucket of steamers and I’m happy.

It’s really a nifty scene between the two of them in Burke’s room. Until Joe comes to the door. Heh, heh…

Best line: Burke to Joe: “You don’t look like a steak.”
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
Best line: Burke to Joe: “You don’t look like a steak.”

Yes...   If Joe's only been unconscious an hour and a half, then he's still drunk.   And needs to pee.   I never even noticed that the BW has food.  It's a restaurant?   And I don't even know what a steamer is.   For me seafood is square and breaded and comes in a bun.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 04:20:45 PM »
Steamers are clams, MT. But I'm surprised the BW doesn't serve raw littlenecks or cherrystones with clam sauce (for dipping) and oyster crackers and beer and maybe cole slaw on the side.  [ghost_tongue2]

Harvey Keitel and his partner are still dancing at the BW. Oy!

Joe has achieved the remorseful stage.

Yes, that's a nice scene with Burke and Vicki in Burke's room. Maybe he orders steaks to spite the Collinses and their fishing fleets. I liked the enigmatic little smile Vicki gives him when she leaves.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 07:48:01 PM »
I don't even know what a steamer is.   For me seafood is square and breaded and comes in a bun.

No wonder you’re such a bitter bible waver.

Most local bars along the shoreline around here in New England serve food. Decent food too. The boats are pulling in with their catch of the day and selling it to restaurants and bars. You can get anything from fried clams (whole belly for me), lobster rolls, square breaded fish cakes on a bulkie roll… And yes, most dishes come with coleslaw.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 07:20:26 PM »
No wonder you’re such a bitter bible waver.

Most local bars along the shoreline around here in New England serve food. Decent food too. The boats are pulling in with their catch of the day and selling it to restaurants and bars. You can get anything from fried clams (whole belly for me), lobster rolls, square breaded fish cakes on a bulkie roll… And yes, most dishes come with coleslaw.

It's almost enough to make a bitter man with white mutton chops stop waving his bible.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 10:01:31 PM »
Vickie is quite the little trooper.  Determined to find answers despite common sense.  She must know that Collinsport is a hotbed of gossip and she goes alone into Burke Devlin's room.  I was guessing Mitchell Ryan was about 40, but in 1966 he was 32 so there isn't as great an age gap as it appears.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 02:11:39 PM »
For me, these early episodes are all about the location shooting. And the food.

Love this.  Who lets their date order a big meal from room service and leaves without eating a bite?  I hope Vicki has a stash of Matthew's muffins back at the house cuz a girl has to eat.

We finally get a clear look at Burke's suite number-- 24, of course.  And we learn that Great Grandpa Jeremiah could put away the booze back in his day, before he ever resembled Anthony George.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 02:23:53 PM »
Carolyn's keeping Joe out of the family: she told him the lie that her mother told Carter about Roger's accident.  That's probably a good thing, because Joe, having recovered miraculously quickly from his drinking bout, has gone back to his Boy Scout ways.  If Carolyn had told him the truth, would he have walked into the Logansport movie theater (I'm betting Collinsport doesn't have a cinema of its own) and told Carter there still was a criminal on the loose?  This is still that same evening, right?

Incidentally, I don't think we ever hear anything about Joe's parents.  It seems clear that he's a Collinsport native, and the parents must be reasonably respectable, or Elizabeth wouldn't want Joe as a son-in-law.  I assume they're dead; if they were alive they should have gotten mentioned during the talk of finding a way to pay for a boat.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 04:59:23 PM »
(I'm betting Collinsport doesn't have a cinema of its own)

It does.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 08:09:47 AM »
Did Carter say the movie theater was in Collinsport, or does it get mentioned elsewhere?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 03:57:38 PM »
It's mentioned elsewhere, more than once, when Collinwood characters go into town to see a movie.