Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0033  (Read 1676 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0033
« on: August 11, 2011, 05:40:02 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0033
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 04:39:05 PM »
VO: "The tension halts the flow of time."  Oh, that's what it is...   Acting drunk should be very hard to do, yet most actors seem to be able to do it.   Joel Crothers is good at it.   I like Carolyn's first reaction to Joe showing up drunk: "You're potted!", with a smirk.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 07:14:09 PM »
The globed lamp is on the sideboard in the drawing room instead of the table by the fireplace.
Vickie asks to borrow Carolyn's car.  So she does have one of her own.
Joe is nice to look at, but dull as dishwater.  I get the feeling that Carolyn decided on the best looking boy in town and got him. It's okay to have some ambition as to owning a boat, but Joe doesn't know how to have fun and everytime Carolyn comes on that song "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" comes to mind. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 08:42:57 PM »
Acting drunk should be very hard to do, yet most actors seem to be able to do it.   Joel Crothers is good at it.   I like Carolyn's first reaction to Joe showing up drunk: "You're potted!", with a smirk.

Yes, Joel Crothers was a pretty darn good actor.

“You’re potted” “Yeah, I’m a drunken palm.”

Where are Carolyn’s bouncy, bouncy curls? Maybe they hadn’t discovered Dippity Do yet.
I must say that whoever is styling Liz’ hair must have been a reject alien hair stylist from Star Trek. Yikes!

Joe calls Bob Rooney Andy. I guess Bob’s name hadn’t been established?

OMG! Where do they get these people who think they can dance?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 09:18:04 PM »
Andy Rooney, eh?   Maybe he was a 60 Minutes fan.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 04:12:13 PM »
I get the feeling that Elizabeth decided on the best-looking boy in town and pushed him into Carolyn's way. Then Elizabeth tells her, "You're the only one of us in this house who can have a sane, happy life."  [ghost_cheesy]

Joel Crothers does a good job of going through the standard phases of acting drunk: morose; then grandiloquent and brash; and (in the next ep.) remorseful.  [ghost_grin]

By the way, one of those dancing extras is Harvey Keitel.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 07:30:03 PM »
By the way, one of those dancing extras is Harvey Keitel.

I know. He's a lousy dancer.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 07:32:37 PM »
And a Bad Lieutenant.  [ghost_grin]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 07:52:28 PM »

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 08:18:28 PM »
Bad Lieutenant--a 1992 movie starring Harvey Keitel.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 01:25:34 PM »
Joel Crothers does what is, to me, an unexpectedly good job as a drunk.  Joe's not all-out drunk; he's just consistently not quite functioning.  Later when we see Crothers in his 1795 role, lots of people say what a good actor he is, and I think to myself that there's really not much subtlety there, but today's episode had me feeling sorry that we didn't get to see more of what he was capable of.

What's also frustrating is that today we still didn't see much of what Joe is beneath the Boy Scout exterior.  The writers are more interested in having him hit Liz at her vulnerable point.  If, despite her great love for Carolyn, she is the cause of Carolyn's being able to more forward in life, how will she ever be able to straighten David out?  I don't have any particular feeling that Joe's accusation against Liz is correct, but she clearly thinks it is.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 02:38:18 PM »
alwaysdavid makes an interesting point about joe i hadn't thought about before...

he never lightens up with carolyn. he's supposed to be the mature, responsible one to carolyn's spoiled flibbergibbet...WE GET IT...but he's not much fun. perhaps he's supposed to evoke the traditional new england temperament and work ethic and be the antithesis of the counterculture beginning to bubble up at the time.

we see it from his first scene at the blue whale and the sour look on his face when carolyn dances. i mean she is dancing with boys other than her "date" but she's not exactly engaging in orgiastic behaviour. lighten up, haskell.

b.t.w. how old is carolyn supposed to be here and what was the drinking age in maine in 1966? isn't she supposed to be 17? what is she doing drinking in a bar anyways? perhaps she's only having soda in these particular eps but later in the year(during the jason storyline) she's definitely there drinking alcohol.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 02:19:28 AM »
Joe calls Bob Rooney Andy. I guess Bob’s name hadn’t been established?

I'm partial to Joe calling him 'Punchy.'

Forum member BurkeDevlin's Cast List for this storyline has a screen grab of the guy who wore a tie and his blonde partner from this episode above the caption "The Dancin' Fool: (Harvey Keitel)," but he looks nothing like the actor.  THIS is Keitel:

He was cute back then.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 12:53:40 AM »
Wow. Is that crystal clear or what? Nice cap. Thanks for posting.