Author Topic: Netscape 7.1 Again  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Netscape 7.1 Again
« on: January 10, 2004, 06:48:20 AM »
I've been regularly using Netscape 7.1 now.  However, the last few days when there have been "new" indicators on some of the Archive sections, when I try to get into them I get:

Unfortunately, the browser you're currently using: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax; PROMO) has security issues with Dark Shadows Forums. Until further notice, in order to access the forum, you must use MSIE 4.0 or later, Netscape 6.0 or later, or Mozilla. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

I then am able to get in with IE.  Besides, it lists 7.1 as one of the "bad" ones, but then says to use 6.0 or later (7.1 is certainly later!).
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Netscape 7.1 Again
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2004, 06:50:30 AM »
Try clearing your Netscape cache first and then see if you can get into those new boards.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 06:50:46 AM »
I don't think so.  On my old computer, I mostly cleared the Netscape cache by using Windows Explorer, finding the folder and deleting the files.  Occasionally, I would just click to "clear cache" in Netscape.

With the new WinXP, it puts things in all sorts of places and I'm not sure if I can find the right folder.  So, I did it in Netscape, but it never gives any indication.  I assume I cleared it!

Anyway, I still can't get into those.  I don't know why they would be different than all the other topics.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 09:07:30 PM »
Hmmm - this is very strange because I can get into the achived boards with all the browsers I try (IE 5.5 & 6.0, Netscape 6.2 & 7.1, Mozilla 1.4, and the Linux browser Galeon 1.3).

Maybe we might have to face the possibilty that the forum really IS haunted, and the entity, whomever or whatever it is, just loves to play tricks on you.  [idontknow]

I wish I could come up with an explanation...

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 10:01:40 PM »
Ha!  Ha!  ;D

I could understand if nothing worked.  I don't see why the archives are any different than anything else.  Fortunately, it isn't very often that there's something there, so I can always bring up IE when there is!!
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 10:42:54 PM »
Well, the archived boards are run by the script SubBoards.php, whereas the regular boards are run by MessageIndex.php. So, there is that difference. But I looked over SubBoards.php today and I didn't see anything that could be causing problems.

Hopefully the conversion to the new system isn't too far off in the future (I might even put up a public test forum soon just so everyone can get a preview), so perhaps things will work better for you then... 

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 05:08:18 AM »
Hopefully the conversion to the new system isn't too far off in the future (I might even put up a public test forum soon just so everyone can get a preview), so perhaps things will work better for you then... 

:) :)
Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 08:20:22 AM »
HEY, GUESS WHAT?!!!!

One of the archives was indicating new again tonight, and I was thinking of letting it go until tomorrow, didn't feel like bothering to bring up IE.  So, when I finished everything else, I clicked on it, and . . . IT WORKED!!
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2004, 07:07:44 PM »
when I finished everything else, I clicked on it, and . . . IT WORKED!!

Let's hope things stay that way.  [wink2]