Author Topic: A Virus Hoax Targeting Microsoft (so what else is new?)  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
A Virus Hoax Targeting Microsoft (so what else is new?)
« on: May 23, 2002, 08:41:49 AM »
There is a virus hoax that advises users of Microsoft Operating Systems (Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, Windows ME, Windows NT Workstation 4.0, Windows NT Server 4.0, Windows NT Server - Enterprise Edition 4.0, Windows 2000 - Professional, Windows 2000 - Server, Windows 2000 - Advanced Server, Windows 2000 - Datacenter Server, Windows XP 64-Bit Edition, Windows XP Home Edition & Windows XP Professional) to delete a valid Windows file that is named Jdbgmgr.exe. This file is the Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java and should not be deleted under any circumstances.

Contents of the hoax e-mail starts off with the following:

I found the little bear in my machine because of that I am sending this message in order for you to find it in your machine. ...

If you receive the e-mail message containing this, delete it and do not forward it to others!

For more information, check out:

Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java Is Not a Virus

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
Re: A Virus Hoax Targeting Microsoft (so what else is new?)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2002, 02:44:17 PM »
Dear MB,
             Boy am I confused I did receive an e-mail from my niece telling me their computer was infected with this so called virus.  As yet, I have done nothing.  I printed the e-mail to show my husband and than of course because I was on line I thought I would check our forun.  The light bulb went off in my head and I remember the message you had posted.  I am also printing that to show him.  So I should delete anything?  Should I let my niece know this is a hoax?  We share several of the same addresses and I see they forwarded it to other family messages.

Thank you so much for always thinking of us.  You really are a wonderful talented guy.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2002, 07:54:32 PM »
[shadow=red,left,300]Jdbgmgr.exe[/shadow]

I received an email saying to delete this file from my computer too a few weeks ago.  I had known about that file being on my computer since I bought it.  

I never had any problems with it being there so being the computer idiot i am  ;D I left it alone.  :)

Then I found out it was a hoax and was glad I didn't do anything about it.

Besides that, it has a cute little teddy bear for an icon.  That alone kept me from deleting it a long time ago.  I have a soft spot for teddy bears.   ;)

"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2002, 09:26:06 PM »
So I should delete anything?  Should I let my niece know this is a hoax?  We share several of the same addresses and I see they forwarded it to other family messages.

You can go ahaead and delete the e-mail, but just don't delete Jdbgmgr.exe. And it would probably be a good idea if you tell your niece it's a hoax because then she can warn her friends about the hoax too. ;)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2002, 07:34:08 PM »
MB wrote:
file that is named Jdbgmgr.exe
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2002, 07:37:52 PM »
MB wrote:
file that is named Jdbgmgr.exe

Now sweetie...you KNOW I'm not gonna know, so while I had your info...I went to start, find files/folders and typed in the above name.
There appears?? to be a small greyish bear next to it??
Anyway, thanks MB.

Actually, at work, my boss had recently opened up an unknown ::) e-mail with the e-mail (ours) address and an added "Honey" (eg, if it were sent to me, it'd be
Feinesthoney@superlink.net).

BAD BAD BAD WORM....TOOK HIM 5 DAYS OF CALLING 900#S (MICROSOFT/GATEWAY, ETC) TO CLEAR IT OUT.

So, and they all said that was a real newy, so add this to the problem e-mails.

(Boy, Franie/Birdie/Robin/all moms...imagine having sooo much time to do nothing but destroy)

Patti
What a Woman!