Author Topic: A new rule?  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
A new rule?
« on: February 13, 2007, 04:09:21 PM »
I have been getting an error message that I cannot post more than 10 times in a 24 hour period, is this a new rule? It must be since if that were true, I could not have 550 posts inside of 28 days since that is when I first began to post. I wouldn't have had more than 280.

I got this message at around 6 this morning and it said I could post again in about 3 hours. It's now just after 10 and it's saying the same thing, I have to wait another 3 hours to post. Supposedly the rule is in place so that no one becomes too "dominent a voice" on the forum, in other words don't be a big mouth. I was allowed to post to the testing board however. I know that my posting yesterday alone exceeded 10 posts. I knew about the 20 captions a day rule, but now to only be allowed only 10 posts a day is a bit hard to understand.

I really like this board and want to continue to come here, but some of these rules are a bit constraining. Please advise.

Alondra

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: A new rule?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 07:22:42 PM »
As a search of this board would show, it's not a new rule. Though it has been tweaked (to be more flexible) since it was originally put into place shortly after the forum began back in '02. As members who were active back then know, it used to limit every member to no more than 10 posts per day every day. However, you'll note that it now says the "average is limited," meaning that members can indeed post more than 10 posts over the course of many days. However, once a given member's period of extended posting over 10 posts per day takes place, the system checks to see if that member's average has gone above 10. If so, that member is limited to 10 posts per day that they post until the average posting rate falls below 10. And as for it being a bit constraining, I doubt many of your fellow members might agree because you were the first person to activate the rule since '02 - and you are but one of only two members to have ever received the error in that intervening time. Also, the forum's top poster (BuzzH) had managed to reach DS God status faster than any other member has ever done it, she currently has made 3093 posts, and her average posting rate per day that she posts is only 7.52 posts - yet she has never once activated the rule. I'm sorry that you feel suddenly constrained - it is certainly not the intent of the admins/mods to stifle anyone - but we do feel that the rule is necessary for the reasons that are laid out in the error that is received should a member activate it.

As for why the system would have told you at 05:31:12 AM ET that you had "2 hours, 4 minutes and 48 seconds" left and then it told you at 09:59:58 AM ET that you had "2 hours, 41 minutes and 52 seconds," I don't honestly know. But I will definitely look into it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 11:02:35 PM »
Something VERY wacky is definitely going on. I see that at 04:51:34 PM ET you were told you had
"0 hours, 0 minutes and 27 seconds" left, but at 04:53:35 PM you were told you had "0 hours, 20 minutes and 44 seconds."

Earlier today someone mentioned to me that they were seeing odd problems with the forum's timing system (similar to what's going on with the display of Who's Online). I haven't seen them myself, but I certainly don't discount it because this person was the first one to notice the weirdness with Who's Online (which, BTW, does not occur in SMF 1.1) before any of the rest of us were able to see it. So, to be on the safe side I'm going to disable the part of the system that sets the 10 post limit. And I'm going to trust that you'll only make 10 posts per 24 hours until I get to the bottom of whatever the hell is going on.  ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 11:07:41 PM »
OK - your ability to post should be back. But if you experience any problems, please post them here.  :)

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 12:24:41 AM »
Something VERY wacky is definitely going on. I see that at 04:51:34 PM ET you were told you had
"0 hours, 0 minutes and 27 seconds" left, but at 04:53:35 PM you were told you had "0 hours, 20 minutes and 44 seconds."

Earlier today someone mentioned to me that they were seeing odd problems with the forum's timing system (similar to what's going on with the display of Who's Online). I haven't seen them myself, but I certainly don't discount it because this person was the first one to notice the weirdness with Who's Online (which, BTW, does not occur in SMF 1.1) before any of the rest of us were able to see it. So, to be on the safe side I'm going to disable the part of the system that sets the 10 post limit. And I'm going to trust that you'll only make 10 posts per 24 hours until I get to the bottom of whatever the hell is going on.  ;)

Thanks. Yeah that's what happened. I thought well I just want to make my usual post to comment on today's episode. I know I've been spending a lot of time on the board and letting some things slide like my fan fic story. So I will not be spending as much time for a while, until other things get caught up.

Alondra