Author Topic: What do you think happened to Roxanne in 1971 after 1840?  (Read 4222 times)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
What do you think happened to Roxanne in 1971 after 1840?
« on: April 19, 2007, 09:54:28 PM »
When Barnabas came back and looked in the secret room behind the bookcase. Would Roxanne be bones and dust?? What else would have happeded??
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: What do you think happened to Roxanne in 1971 after 1840?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 08:20:36 AM »
I believe she was destroyed in 1840.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 07:38:21 PM »
Yes, Magnus is right. Roxanne met her demise.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 07:55:13 PM »
So you are saying it just would have been a empty coffin, nothing there. I wonder is Cassandra would have been remembered or would she have been replaced by someone else that Roger marries. What I guess I thinking of is how do you think that history of Collinwood would have been changed.  We know that no one at Collinwood died. What do you think happended to Maggie and so on.

It is like you change one thingin history what happens with everything else.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 08:23:49 PM »
[spoiler]Since the events of 1840 were changed, there were no Gerard and Daphne haunting Collinwood in 1970 so the family has no memory of them. I think the same is true of Roxanne....since she was staked in 1840, she couldn't have attacked Maggie in 1970, so there was no reason to have sent Maggie away so I reckon she's still governess to David and Hallie.[/spoiler]

That's at least my take on it.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 11:48:32 PM »
Roxanne never made it to 1970 at all, not even her coffin. (She didn't even make it to 1841.) The events we saw in 1970 were prevented from having happened.   They never happened.   You can watch them on TV, but even in DS they didn't happen.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 03:03:30 AM »
She got caught by "The Nose" and suffered from post-nasal drip", thus ending her acting career...? [noseinair]
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 04:41:45 AM »
Roxanne never made it to 1970 at all, not even her coffin. (She didn't even make it to 1841.)

And yet, Barnabas thought she might be there.  There's a scene just before he first uses the I-Ching:
He enters the secret room and speaks to Roxanne in her coffin--you will be safe here, he assures her.  I'm going away.  Sebastian is gone.  I'm going to try to get back to your time and change your fate. I wish I could look at you, he says, but when I come back, perhaps I can.  He leaves the room, closing the shelf behind him.
I know he tends toward the melodramatic, but his desire to lay eyes on Roxanne again when he returns makes no sense.  If by changing her fate he meant preventing her from becoming a vampire, she would have lived out her mortal life, but having failed that she was eventually destroyed, so either way, there wouldn't be a Roxanne in 1970.  Duh, Barnabas.

[spoiler]I think the same is true of Roxanne....since she was staked in 1840,[/spoiler]
Roxanne was [spoiler]fried by sunlight,[/spoiler] but I agree with your take on the changes to the present.  :)

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 01:18:03 PM »
Dang, that's right! I forgot [spoiler]that Roxanne was exposed to light, thus causing her demise.[/spoiler]

I'm getting all these vampires confused! LOL

David

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 04:29:15 PM »
This whole thread goes back to what I've said many times
before:
IT WAS WRONG TO END THIS SHOW IN 1841PT!!!

After changing history as much as they did in 1840, we should have been given a glimpse as to how those changes affected Collinwood in 1967-1971.

I hope one of the upcoming audio dramas answers these questions.

David 

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 06:03:08 PM »
IT WAS WRONG TO END THIS SHOW IN 1841PT!!!

After changing history as much as they did in 1840, we should have been given a glimpse as to how those changes affected Collinwood in 1967-1971.

There was no way to possibly continue with 1971.  Everything was contradictory.    When ECS recognized Barnabas, that showed everything was hopelessly screwed up.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 06:35:28 PM »
So are you saysing that Barnabas and Julia shouldn't have been recognized. Do you think that Barnabas would have been stranger. So  you are thinking that when [spoiler]Angelique took off the curse in 1840[/spoiler] and 1897 and 1967 didn't happen.

Quentin would have still been a ghost??

David

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 07:52:30 PM »
Someone here, either Gothick or Gerard, wrote a story that explains all the loose ends and shows how 1840 changed things in 1971.

After 1841PT, why couldn't we have had a week or two of such things onscreen before the show ended?
Then the story would have truly been concluded.

The writing was so sloppy at the end because Curtis & Co. no longer cared.
Sad.

David

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 08:12:56 PM »
Someone here, either Gothick or Gerard, wrote a story that explains all the loose ends and shows how 1840 changed things in 1971.

After 1841PT, why couldn't we have had a week or two of such things onscreen before the show ended?
Then the story would have truly been concluded.

I wish I could get that fanfic on tape.

After 1841 PT they were cancelled.   I have heard mixed information but I get the impression the cancellation happened with little warning beforehand.  Thus you see them beginning a new storyline onscreen with the bite marks, last episode, then Thayer has to explain it away in such a contrived way that it made me groan as a twelve-year-old.

So planning for a couple final weeks to do a big finale... I don't think they could, yes, many didn't care, maybe they thought they had no viewers, but the main reason is that they went out of their way to wrap up 1971 the way they did, I think, because the plot fallout scared the hell out of them.    It couldn't be done and they knew it.

They basically ran for the hills as fast as they could, after getting BC and JH and ES home.     They dropped the present like a hot potato.

The biggest, most glaring problem for 1971 is something that stands out a mile to me, but not to thers, I guess.    [spoiler]If Barnabas doesn't climb back into the box in 1897 AND 1840, his body doesn't pass through time in the usual way to reach 1967 and Willie.   I know he'd be reluctant to do that, but now I find that he did so in 1796/1968.   I don't understand that whole thing, by the way.    When the chains reappeared on the coffin, I threw up my hands and gave up.

His 1970 and 1969 spirit(s) can get I Chinged back home, but the body, which is his earlier body his present self is merely inhabiting, has to stay back in the past where it was the first time around.

Ang lifting the curse... bad too, but people seem to understand that one well enough.

No vampire in 1967, or 1897.   No witch.   No Julia coming to Collinwood.[/spoiler]

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 03:04:54 AM »
In the audio drama Return to Collinwood , events from 1970 are referenced , such as Maggie's breakdown , and Sebastian 's involvement with her . I realsie that a lot of people will dismiss the audios as not being canon , although some ( like me ) do accept them . But there 's one reference that the events were largely unchanged.
Trying to make sense of DS 's time travel consequences are nearly impossible . Even after 1897 was changed , everyone remembers Quentin as a ghost ! So that some events of 1970 were the same , including Roxanne , isn't surprising , although I can't really expalin how that would work ...
I too really wish that the show had had a little more time to return to the present , especially since we could've finally gotten a Barnabas/Julia romance , and seen the family 's storyline resolved .