Author Topic: Alec Newman's Frankenstein on October 5th & 6th - NEW DATES - See Reply #6  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
According to thefutoncritic.com:

FRANKENSTEIN (Hallmark) - The cable channel has rescheduled its four-hour mini-series for Tuesday, October 26 and Wednesday, October 27. Here's how Hallmark's press materials describe the project: "Obsessed with violating the laws of nature and of life and death, scientist Victor Frankenstein constructs a creature from the limbs of the dead. Once jolted to life, the creature proves even more human than his creator-knowledgeable, wise, and also possessed of a conscience. Unable to inspire love, he chooses to inspire fear and vows to avenge the man who created and abandoned him." Donald Sutherland, Alec Newman, Nicole Lewis, William Hurt and Luke Goss star.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Alec Newman's Frankenstein Scheduled for October 26th & 27th
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 12:08:39 AM »
MB...is this a new production? Or has this been shown already?

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 12:28:48 AM »
Brand new. And from the photos I've seen, it seems as if it will be quite opulent.  :)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 01:48:13 AM »
Opulent

That's not exactly a word I associate with "Frankenstein".

(I like the old 1930's grainy films.)

Thanks MB...of course, I don't have Hallmark.

BTW...I had mentioned on a different post/board about me having two SoapChannels (although they simultaneous show same shows).

I had thought this was just a 'digital' thing, but on my other tvs (I only have digital box on 1 TV), the add'l SoapChannel is there....so "Call Your Local Cable Provider" (oysh...sorry, I just know there's a few people w/out Soap and we want DS!!!)
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 02:15:58 AM »
Opulent

That's not exactly a word I associate with "Frankenstein".

Well, it appears to be an apt description for this production.

Check out Hallmark Entertainment's Frankenstein home page, and then click on the "Photos" link on the left to check out the 129 photos from it. It certainly looks like it should be amazing.
(You may need to disable your popup blocker to enlarge the photos.)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 05:17:17 AM »
Thank you for calling our attention to this production, MB (I had forgotten about this when I wrote my recent Frankenstein thread  :D).

Can it be that this will actually be an accurate version of Mary Shelly s novel?  What an unheard of concept!

I mean, I'm seeing the characters of Caroline, Alphonse, and William Frankenstein, Agatha, Justine, Cpt. Walton  ... (but no DeLacey by name at least ...).  "Henry" in place of "Henry Clerval," but these credit listings aren't always accurate, even in imdb.com.

The synopsis reads like a synopsis of the NOVEL.  :o

I don't really want to get my hopes up, but that at least is promising.

From the stills, I'd say the look is fantastic -- accurate and realistic to the period and to the novel.  (Yet a bit cleaner and tidier when compared to the somewhat grittier and realistic buildings in "Terror of Frankenstein" -- which must be viewed in the DVD release to get any idea of the actual "look" of that movie -- not quite as beautiful and glowing, even the breathtaking scenery takes on an oppressive, dull air in that version).

The cast appears very promising.  Well, the Creature does look a bit like a heavy metal band member (and its lips should be black, but that would seem only to reinforce the "goth" look they seem to have in mind).  Maybe Donald Sutherland will redeem himself after the "Salem's Lot" fiasco.  And I don't remember there being a little girl at the DeLacey cottage (but it has been years since I've read the book so maybe I'm forgetting).

Drawing together the synopsis and viewing the stills, I'd say this version has the possibility of being the best and most accurate version ever made (see my comments on the two best -- IMO -- previous attempts).

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Alec Newman's Frankenstein Scheduled for October 5th & 6th
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 01:45:48 AM »
** NEW DATES **

FRANKENSTEIN (Hallmark) - The cable channel has moved up the premiere of its two-part, four-hour mini-series to Tuesday, October 5 and Wednesday, October 6 at 9:00/8:00c. Hallmark's take, which stars William Hurt, Donald Sutherland, Alec Newman, Luke Goss, Nicole Lewis and Julie Delpy, will now beat USA's version, featuring Parker Posey, Adam Goldberg and Michael Madsen, to the airwaves. Hallmark's "Frankenstein" was originally slated to air October 26-27, while USA's, a two-hour backdoor pilot, will air Sunday, October 10 at 9:00/8:00c.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, who knows what's going on? Today hollywoodreporter.com posted this item, which lists the old dates of October 26th and 27th:

Frankenstein (Hallmark Channel) Just in time for Halloween, Hallmark Channel and USA Network are both airing projects centered around the Mary Shelley classic (see next entry). Hallmark's four-hour miniseries claims to be "the most faithful version" of the thriller about a man playing God to create human life, with unintended and disastrous results. Stars William Hurt, Donald Sutherland, Alec Newman, Luke Goss, Nicole Lewis and Julie Delpy. Directed by Kevin Connor and executive produced by Robert Halmi Jr. and Larry Levinson. (Oct. 26-27)

I suppose we'll just have to keep a lookout to see when it actually does show up.  :-

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, according to an article entitled Cable's big shows are on hiatus, but there's still plenty to watch in today's edition of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

On Tuesday and Wednesday, Oct. 5 and 6, Hallmark premieres its two-part adaptation of Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein," with Alec Newman as Victor Frankenstein.

It's seems odd that The Hollywood Reporter would get the dates wrong. But I suppose even the best can screw up from time to time...