Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0764  (Read 1783 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0764
« on: April 23, 2009, 10:10:16 PM »

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss - Ep #0764
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 02:29:51 AM »
The music playing in the opening scene is one of my favorite pieces, although, at the moment I cannot think of what it's called.  It looks as if Humbert about fell out of his seat before they went to credits.  Don must have gotten a little to forceful. HEH.  I absolutely love the blue furniture they have Evan's home decorated with. It's gorgeous.  The colors are so vivid and alive on Dark Shadows.  I think often things like this are overlooked but they truly add to the complete viewing experience!  Good to see Barnabas in action again trying to help his family out.  I really enjoy JF's performances in 1897, he seems altogether relaxed!  I particularly love Judith's pink dress.  Another example of eye popping colors on DS.  I have to hand it to the writers, they truly always end on a great cliffhanger and don't just reserve them the end of the week.

B+
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 03:12:56 AM »
JB voiceover.  Condensed version of the much longer scene that ended yesterday’s show.  OOPS Evan apparently goofed up somewhere.   Yet another guy goes right for the strangling.

And the phone rings. Of course it’s Beth, looking for assistance on a Quentin hunt.  Interesting that she’s very delicately hinting that she knows what he and Quentin have been up to and might decide to share.  WOONDERFUL, Judith comes along (as anyone could in the hallway, which is why the phone ends up conveniently there and not in the drawing room whenever the script calls for something to be conveniently overheard).

Hmm, Beth has managed to pull the wool over Judith’s eyes on this one.  Also interesting, given Beth’s previous recollection about Edward, that Judith has decided Quentin should know about his children.  Also interesting is Judith talking to Beth as an equal about the children.   Is this perhaps because she thinks  Quentin is serious about Beth? Or perhaps hopes he is, and thinks Beth will be a good influence on him? Judith has a good point about perhaps knowing of the children giving Quentin a sense of responsibility (but oh, she has no idea what a double edged statement that is).

Poor Beth, in tears, goes out on her Quentin hunt as the wolf howls and howls as Barnabas and Judith talk.  Nice continuity having Barnabas get the call from Ezra about the pentagram charm.  (I’d love to have been a fly on the wall as he tried to explain pentagrams to a small town jeweler.)

Judith gives us background on Beth: she’s from Collinsport and the cousin in town does exist.  No mention whether she’s a widow or what became of her other family, and she’s been working there about two years.  LOL Judith’s line about not being too interested in servants is a great in joke on Barn, given his problems stemming from too much interest in one particular servant girl.  Now Barn has his clue about where the baby’s pentagram came from, and he’s heading out and about to play Sherlock Holmes.

Evan is having another dress rehearsal with Tim, here’s hoping it works better this time.  Nice red herring with Judith playing cards alone in the drawing room as if she’s the intended victim.

And here’s Tim at Collinwood, coming in right behind Beth .  Funny, Ezra refers to A charm, and we know that Beth also gets one.  Wonder if the boy is really ill, or whether that’s Beth’s cover story.

OK, some background on the father of the snakepit brood.  A very strict, Godfearing man who would have liked Trask (hmm, no wonder the kids are so messed up as adults).  Would be interesting to find out how one of Gabriel and Edith’s kids turned out that way.

Gunshots.  Barnabas comes to tell everyone what is happening and meets them outside the door.  Poor Beth, trying to cover for the fact that she’s terrified, not of the creature, but of it being caught.  Shot in the chest – and she nearly collapses hearing that.

Barnabas takes the Bat express and ends up in Beth’s room ahead of her.  Get a panorama of the room that I don’t remember seeing before.  Very large and well appointed, not to mention well lit.  Hardly the plain servants garrett with a bed and place for clothes, shared with another servant.  Still a bit creepy though, that she has to stay in the same room with the same bed that Jenny died in.  Seems somewhat less than sensitive.

Got to give Beth a lot of credit for poise and self control.  She must be beside herself worrying about Quentin now she knows he’s been shot, and here’s Barnabas inexplicably in her room asking nosy questions, yet she holds her own with him.   Barn’s approach leaves something to be desired – he should make it clear he’s a friend, not an enemy.  She doesn’t trust him, and he;s really given her no reason to tell him anything.  He may not remember, but I bet she does, that this is the 2nd time she’s found him somewhere he shouldn’t have been with no logical way of being there.

That’s our Barn – when logic doesn’t work CHOMP ON EM to get them to talk!

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 03:36:32 AM »
I wonder what the significance of all the card playing was?  Was it stolen from some story?  I always have to wonder about these things as I've read that they had someone reading stories to see if they could use them on the show.  I liked that it possibly could have been Judith or Minerva who played the card game for Tim.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 04:42:29 AM »
alwaysdavid, that plot is from The Manchurian Candidate (the 1962 movie, or possibly the book), though it was the Queen of diamonds, not spades.  [ghost_wink]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 04:26:47 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I actually have that on Vhs from things I inherited from my brother and kept thinking it might be interesting to watch when I found the time.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 08:16:25 PM »
I wrote under the last ep that Evan and Tim played with blue-backed cards.  But when the scene is repeated here, the cards are red.  How'd the blue ones disappear overnight?  [hdscrt]

The jeweler's scene was as problematic as it was brief.  Old Ezra said he was 15 (15½?) when he made the necklace, which makes Edward Marshall much better suited to play Harry than he was to play Ezra in 1897.  Also, why would young Ezra fail to mention the inscription on the necklace during his conversation with Barnabas?  The different pronunciations of the name "Chavez" by different characters has never bothered me, but it kinda does when it's the same character pronouncing it two different ways, even at 70+ years apart.

And why oh why do I notice and recall obscure details from a TV show but constantly misplace things at home AND can't grocery shop without a list?  [rleyeb]

Beth lied to Judith that Quentin was spending the evening at Evan's house.  How fortunate it was for Quentin that Tim, who really did spend the evening at Evan's, told Judith that he was just at the school.

Pansity, isn't Beth's room the same one we've always seen?

Yet again, Barn risks changing the family's future by taking another victim.  Does he plan to bite the entire house staff?

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 02:20:33 AM »
The jeweler's scene was as problematic as it was brief.  Old Ezra said he was 15 (15½?) when he made the necklace, which makes Edward Marshall much better suited to play Harry than he was to play Ezra in 1897.  Also, why would young Ezra fail to mention the inscription on the necklace during his conversation with Barnabas?  The different pronunciations of the name "Chavez" by different characters has never bothered me, but it kinda does when it's the same character pronouncing it two different ways, even at 70+ years apart.

Yeah, didn't Ezra say it was the very first piece he had made himself?  The scene leaves me with more of the feeling that he's a journeyman than an apprentice making his first piece.  Funny thing is, the younger age works better for him being someone Beth would ask for an odd piece like that. Ask the kid to do it, figuring she could fend off any questions.  The adult male business owner might have been much more inquisitive, and harder to stall.

And why oh why do I notice and recall obscure details from a TV show but constantly misplace things at home AND can't grocery shop without a list?  [rleyeb]

[rofl10]  If you ever figure that one out, please let ME know.  Obscure trivia from shows (not to mention dialog from Trek, other shows, and George Lucas movies) sticks to me like superglue's supposed to.  Yet I'm still trying to figure out what part of my house ate my copy of Skinwalkers before I even got to open it.

Pansity, isn't Beth's room the same one we've always seen?

It is, and I could be wrong, but I don't remember them pulling the camera back that far before, so you could see the other side of the room.  All I remember seeing before is the door, the nightstand, bed and chest of drawers (not to mention the small bookcase and Franklin stove as you come in the door).  Decent room, but neither huge nor fancy. I could buy it as a servant's room.  When they pull back this time, it seems HUGE, and that chifferobe takes up a lot of it.  Come to think of it, that might be the chifferobe they show another time in Q's room, empty except for 2 identical suits.  And it might also be the one in the Tower room with Jenny (oh, oh is this another wandering prop to watch for?).

Yet again, Barn risks changing the family's future by taking another victim.  Does he plan to bite the entire house staff?

DON'T give him any ideas!  He's dangerous when he gets ideas!   [ghost_wacko]

I still think his CHOICE of victim was a "what were you THINKING!" moment.  I think it goes back to someone's comment somewhere, about it not occurring to Barnabas that the sweet young things could have any impact on future events.   [90d1]

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 09:32:59 PM »
Yeah, didn't Ezra say it was the very first piece he had made himself?  The scene leaves me with more of the feeling that he's a journeyman than an apprentice making his first piece.
It was the first piece of jewelry that he made.  [ghost_wink]

It is, and I could be wrong, but I don't remember them pulling the camera back that far before, so you could see the other side of the room.  All I remember seeing before is the door, the nightstand, bed and chest of drawers (not to mention the small bookcase and Franklin stove as you come in the door).  Decent room, but neither huge nor fancy. I could buy it as a servant's room.  When they pull back this time, it seems HUGE, and that chifferobe takes up a lot of it.

Jenny was hiding next to the chifferobe/wardrobe just before she died.  Come to think of it, #747 might provide the best indication of the size of the room since they not only dressed the forefront to shoot her in her hiding place, but also the left side of the room where she found the baby clothes.  There's a chandelier in there now, however, that I don't remember in the murder scene.  (Q probably would have smacked his head on it, lol-- I doubt even Beth's hair can clear it now.)

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 12:48:44 AM »
It was the first piece of jewelry that he made.  [ghost_wink]

Boy, did I walk right into THAT one.   [a1f5]  He was kind of cute, wasn't he.  [ghost_wink]

Jenny was hiding next to the chifferobe/wardrobe just before she died.  Come to think of it, #747 might provide the best indication of the size of the room since they not only dressed the forefront to shoot her in her hiding place, but also the left side of the room where she found the baby clothes.  There's a chandelier in there now, however, that I don't remember in the murder scene.  (Q probably would have smacked his head on it, lol-- I doubt even Beth's hair can clear it now.)

Hmm, I never realized that. Thanks!  Not sure if it's watching on the portable with the 7 in screen, or doing myself in with multitasking-- meaning I'm missing more detail than I realized.  Somehow I always thought she saw them from an angle in the hall somewhere.  I also took that left side of the room for essentially the whole room, the usual camera angle being what would have been a wall.

LOL and then some on the magically appearing low flying chandelier. Yet another hazard (along with the entrance to the "servants quarters" under the stairs) for the vertically endowed.  [ghost_shocked]

Jeannie

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 10:41:51 AM »
Major Milestones: [milestone]
1. Beth was on a 2 week notice, which was almost up, and Judith let her stay longer. So that's why Beth didn't leave! I thought it was strange that she was still there - of course there would be a 2 week notice! [8311]
2. Quentin's son was ill with a fever.
3. Judith and Beth both changed their minds about telling Quentin about his children. Judith wanted to tell him, but Beth did not want to tell him. (For different reasons, of course.)
4. Barnabas found out from Ezra Braithwaite that Beth ordered a pentagram charm and charged it to Quentin.
5. That pentagram charm was the first piece of jewelry that Ezra made.
6. Barnabas, correctly suspecting that Beth knew who the werewolf was, "flew" into her room and bit her in order to get the information.  [batang]

Tim's second practice session with Evan was very chilling and intriguing. It was actually pretty scary to watch how Tim was such an automaton, following Evan's instructions.  [nerv] The primitive tribe story that Evan told Tim was fascinating. [ghost_smiley]

Poor Beth was so worried about Quentin, but couldn't say why. [ghost_sad] Barnabas was able to figure out by her actions that she knew something.

Oh, no! Judith was playing cards, with Tim watching! [ghost_shocked] Judith was thisclose to being Tim's victim! What a stroke of luck that they heard that gunshot just before she laid that Queen of Spades card down! [whew]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 10:52:49 AM »
Actually, Ezra [spoiler]made two pentagram charms - one for the boy, and one for Beth.[/spoiler] Sorry I made a mistake in the previous post. [signerror]

----- Sally -----

[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

(edited by admin)
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 01:26:12 AM »

Why, because you prioritize the exotic over the mundane!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 10:42:20 PM »
I still think his CHOICE of victim was a "what were you THINKING!" moment.  I think it goes back to someone's comment somewhere, about it not occurring to Barnabas that the sweet young things could have any impact on future events.
I said that, and I was thinking about it today.  Barnabas remembers Ezra Braithwaite from the future (and however much it may boost his ego to give young Ezra the prophetic-sounding compliment, it was still ill-advised) so you'd think he would remember that Beth became a ghost and was therefore not your average disposable sweet young thing.

It's a good thing Magda gave Tim so much poison, because Evan's using it like it's going out of style.  I would assume that he had substituted powdered mustard, but he was awfully insistent about not consuming it today.

Those blue-backed chairs at Evan's house keep distracting me because they look like computer monitors.

Today we learned that 1897 Collinwood has at least two phone lines going to it, one to the drawing room (which Barnabas used to talk to Ezra Braithwaite) and one to the study (which Judith used to call the police).  I'm having serious trouble with this.  I remember reading that when telephones were first instituted, some people didn't like the idea that they might be disturbed by a phone call as often as once a week!

The backdrop for the closing credits was elegant: a brandy snifter (full) and a Queen of Spades.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 02:26:42 AM »
I said that, and I was thinking about it today.  Barnabas remembers Ezra Braithwaite from the future (and however much it may boost his ego to give young Ezra the prophetic-sounding compliment, it was still ill-advised) so you'd think he would remember that Beth became a ghost and was therefore not your average disposable sweet young thing.

YES!  Exactly my point.  She was a spook, she had to have a role somewhere -- IF Barnabutt had stopped and thought about it.

Today we learned that 1897 Collinwood has at least two phone lines going to it, one to the drawing room (which Barnabas used to talk to Ezra Braithwaite) and one to the study (which Judith used to call the police).  I'm having serious trouble with this.  I remember reading that when telephones were first instituted, some people didn't like the idea that they might be disturbed by a phone call as often as once a week!

And add to that the fact that the phone going to Quentin's room seemed to be a THIRD line!  Pretty impressive in a time when most people were on party lines.  The reason I say Q's has to be yet another separate line is [spoiler]when judith calls trask after he's walled up in there, she called from another Collinwood line. Would have to be a separate line to ring that way, unless there's some trivia about early telephones that I've never heard of. [/spoiler]

Jeannie

EWW when editing this post, I noticed its POST NUMBER 666.  BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID, MWAH HA HA