Author Topic: Maybe He's In Mourning  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Maybe He's In Mourning
« on: March 30, 2003, 07:14:01 PM »
In the collage of character shots, does it look like Aristede (bottom left-hand corner) is wearing a black, lacey veil on his head?  It reminds me of the veils women use to wear to church (Catholic) up to the late '60's, after which they no longer had to cover their heads.  (If they forgot their veil - which they almost always carried in their purses - or didn't have a hat, they would put a piece of kleenex on top of their heads, sometimes secured by a bobby-pin, or sans bobby-pin, they just held them there.)

Gerard

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Maybe He's In Mourning
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 07:30:15 PM »
[wavey] [wavey]  Hello Gerard i was thinking
the same thing about Aristede. And i do
remember how we used to cover our heads
with Lace Doilies.     Love Anne 8) 8) ;D ;D
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 08:31:06 PM »
In the collage of character shots, does it look like Aristede (bottom left-hand corner) is wearing a black, lacey veil on his head?  It reminds me of the veils women use to wear to church (Catholic) up to the late '60's, after which they no longer had to cover their heads.  (If they forgot their veil - which they almost always carried in their purses - or didn't have a hat, they would put a piece of kleenex on top of their heads, sometimes secured by a bobby-pin, or sans bobby-pin, they just held them there.) Gerard
Oh Gerard, you do manage to bring back the good old days of a Catholic upbringing. I remember them well. I miss the Latin Mass. Even remember some of th responses that were drilled into our heads by the nuns of St. Joseph of Carondolet. [angl]
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2003, 08:51:53 PM »
Well, I wore one just this morning to Mass! My Anglican Catholic church is beautifully old-fashioned and traditional. Still, I am glad that wearing them is optional rather than required. I notice it is mostly the younger women who did NOT grow up having to wear them that choose to do so now.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 12:33:08 AM »
It reminds me of the veils women use to wear to church (Catholic) up to the late '60's, after which they no longer had to cover their heads.  (If they forgot their veil - which they almost always carried in their purses - or didn't have a hat, they would put a piece of kleenex on top of their heads, sometimes secured by a bobby-pin, or sans bobby-pin, they just held them there.)

Gerard

Chapel veils!  Got a new one every year, in my Christmas stocking.  All the parish mothers bought stocking stuffers at the Ave Maria Gift Shop.  Every First Friday we had mandatory mass, would meet in our classrooms, and file across the schoolyard to the church by grade...girls on the left, boys on the right.  And the kleenex thing, ah yes, forget your chapel veil and the nun would nearly drive a bobby pin into your brain attaching the tissue to your head.

Hard to believe, given the trauma, that I have actually been browsing the Ave Maria Shop for a 1st Communion gift for my step-grandson, or that 3 weeks ago, after 22 years, 2 months and 2 days my husband and I went to the rectory to take our vows once again, this time in the eyes of the Church.

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2003, 02:30:03 AM »
It does stick with you doesn't it, Sheenasma?
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2003, 04:56:27 AM »
Hey gang,

As a former altar boy, I much prefered the old Latin Mass too.  If you recall, those of you old enough, the priest (plus the two altar boys) stood with their backs to the congregation sitting in the pews. (Unlike today's modern Mass, where the priest and the altar boys, and, now altar girls, face the congregation in their pews.)

Let me tell you, this was a big advantage to both the good father saying the Mass, and the altar boys who had to remember all of those Latin responses.  I don't think I'm being disloyal to all former altar boys of a "certain" age if I now let everyone know, that we sometimes had a Latin response "cheat sheet" tucked in our shirt pockets under those clean white cassocks!  Manys the time (particularly with a priest in Count Petofi's age bracket) that we could always be ready when the priest said: "Dominus Vobiscum," and we shot right back: "Et cum spiri tu, tu, o!" without missing a bit.

Of course, if "Fr. Mooney" had had a particularly "rough" evening the night before, the fact that he could face the blank wall behind the altar (and, not face the observant 'kissers" of his congregation), meant that, in all likelihood, the good father could conduct the service with having to endure what we sometimes referred to in those days as a "Catholic contretemps"!

One final note, I recall that Sr. Cordes informed us, that the wine used in Holy Mass would be only 2% proof (at most).  Sr. Cordes went on to explain that if they used any more potent wine, the poor priest might start teetering up their on the altar, what with having to say the 8:00 AM Mass without any breakfast beforehand!

Bob the Bartender, who vehemently denies the vicious rumor that every altar boy, at some time or other, ever sampled that 2% proof wine back in the sacristy when no one was watching.  A  complete falsehood!!! 

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2003, 05:29:59 AM »
I don't think I'm being disloyal to all former altar boys of a "certain" age if I now let everyone know, that we sometimes had a Latin response "cheat sheet" tucked in our shirt pockets under those clean white cassocks!

I knew it!!!

Bob the Bartender, who vehemently denies the vicious rumor that every altar boy, at some time or other, ever sampled that 2% proof wine back in the sacristy when no one was watching.  A  complete falsehood!!!

Uh huh, sure. [wiseguy]

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2003, 09:40:46 AM »
In the collage of character shots, does it look like Aristede (bottom left-hand corner) is wearing a black, lacey veil on his head?  It reminds me of the veils women use to wear to church (Catholic) up to the late '60's, after which they no longer had to cover their heads.

It does look like a mourning veil Gerard!  LOL!! Maybe he's mourning the fact that he finally realizes that Petofi has no plans whatsoever to take him along with him to the future.

Sheenasma wrote:
or that 3 weeks ago, after 22 years, 2 months and 2 days my husband and I went to the rectory to take our vows once again, this time in the eyes of the Church.

What a nice thing to do!  Congratulations! :)

Cassandra[/font]

"Calamity Jane"

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2003, 07:43:43 PM »
I too love the old Latin Mass as well wish we
still had it today!!
                 Love Anne ;D
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2003, 08:06:43 PM »
I too love the old Latin Mass as well wish we still had it today!!
I believe I just read somewhere not long ago that Mel Gibson attends a church where they still do the Latin Mass (sounds like a dance when I put it that way).  I'm not sure if that's unusual (as in difficult to find elsewhere) or not.

I wasn't brought up Catholic, but I do have memories of those little lace "doilies" when I was 11 and (jr. bridesmaid) in a Catholic wedding waaaay back in 1966...just about the exact same time DS began come to think of it.  I was into it though¢â‚¬¦anything slightly resembling a costume has always gotten my interest. [bow]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2003, 09:48:38 PM »
When Maggie Evans had her delightful tryst with a certain Black Altar back in 1968, I thought that that little veil she wore after the experience was meant to be one of these chapel veils.  I thought it was one of those twisted little jokes someone in production decided to pull.

In the screen capture, little Aristede is not wearing a veil, though I must admit I find the idea amusing. It would go beautifully with his eyeliner.  He is lying back in a chair in Charles Delaware Tate's studio (but CDT is NOT working on his skill set for his new calling, lol).  The big smudge on his face and his dazed look are explained in the episode from which this snapshot was taken.

Have fun!

Gothick

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2003, 03:30:20 AM »
I believe I just read somewhere not long ago that Mel Gibson attends a church where they still do the Latin Mass (sounds like a dance when I put it that way).  I'm not sure if that's unusual (as in difficult to find elsewhere) or not.

Most parishes don't practice the Latin Mass anymore.  But there is a church in West LA, St. Timothy's, that has one especially if Bishop John Ward is still there.

But I don't miss them mumbling to the wall and do miss my lace.  Gotta love the lace!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2003, 04:26:29 AM »
I notice it is mostly the younger women who did NOT grow up having to wear them that choose to do so now.

you got that right my head still hurts from the bobby pins that nuns stuck in your head with the tissue that Gerard and Nancy mentioned when you forgot your veil! they could have been neuro surgeons(but at least thet give you anethesia)! :(

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2003, 03:07:52 AM »
How about the alter boys who just got carried away with the ringing of the bells.  One of my sister's friend got asked to leave because he could not control the bell it had a will of it's own.

My son gave up alter serving I think the priest is glad he was always playing an imaginary baseball game while on the alter. I have to admitt we are not the most well behaved family at mass.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth