Author Topic: Get Dark Shadows' Northern Star a star!  (Read 1281 times)

Offline 4everfridean

• Junior Poster
  • Belonging heart, soul and neck to the vampire!
    • View Profile
    • The Collins Mausoleum fanzine online
Get Dark Shadows' Northern Star a star!
« on: February 16, 2007, 08:43:07 PM »
I don't know if this was posted here before, but I have been posting to several groups about getting Jonathan Frid a star on Canada's Walk of Fame.  It is a much bigger deal there than the Hollywood Walk is here because most of the inductees are selected on the basis of popular nomination.  You may only nominate once -- it's not possible to stuff the ballot box.  But if you have enjoyed JF's work over the years, whether on DS, his other movie work, stage work, or his one-man shows, this is a way we fans can show our lasting appreciation for what this man's talents have brought to us.  I feel it's high time his native country showed appreciation to him as well.

Here is the link to nominate JF for this honor:

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/contests/contest_nominations.xml.htm

The nominations will close on February 28, a little less than two weeks from when I post this.  All who nominate now will be entered into a drawing to win a trip to Toronto for the induction ceremonies and Tribute Gala, which is a big deal for the Canadian entertainment industry.  Please pass this link along to any and all DS-related forums that I haven't posted to myself, so as many as possible will get the word.

Thank you so much!
Julie  :)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Get Dark Shadows' Northern Star a star!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
Already voted when it was on Stuarts Page.  But Jonathan does desearve the praise and honor.  [crowdhappy]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 10:07:32 PM »
Yes, this topic points to Stuart's page:

Important J Frid Item

Offline 4everfridean

• Junior Poster
  • Belonging heart, soul and neck to the vampire!
    • View Profile
    • The Collins Mausoleum fanzine online
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 10:37:47 PM »
Excellent, this was about the time I originally posted to some of the Yahoo groups about this.  I wanted to get an update around to everyone when I discovered today that nominations would close February 28.  As best as I can figure, the inductees will be announced on March 5.  So pass the word around again, there may be people who were not on the boards, lists, and so on when this was originally discussed.  And Stuart, if you're here, thanks for putting it up on collinwood.net.  That's huge exposure.

Julie  :)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 11:34:30 PM »
I don't mean at all to rain on the parade, but does anyone know how Mr. Frid feels about this?  I have heard that he is a fairly private person and basically wants to be left alone at this point in his life.

I thought of this because shortly before this topic was posted, I was both amused and said to hear that Ennio Morricone (I think--my short term memory is in tatters these days) is going to receive an honorary Oscar this year, and he is upset about it because he never wanted one in the first place.  (I just checked the IMDB news item on this and it seems that he isn't THAT unhappy about it after all.)

Just thought I'd ask.

G.

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 01:19:07 AM »
Having already zipped over there and voted for him, I now ask myself the same question. But
believe me, I consider myself a VERY private person-- even moreso than Frid probably is--
and I think I'd be honored (even touched) that my fans were at least trying to do something
this special for me.
:) But I don't know the guy, so I can't speak for him. :)   ~DJ

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 03:27:04 PM »
I think, too, he would appreciate the wonderful gesture.  Most likely, if a star was included, it would not necessarily cut into his privacy.  He's a gracious man who changed television history and he is still in the "limelight" - he maintains his website, and it seems that every month or so there is an article in some magazine or newspaper about him, or at least making mention of him if the topic is DS.  If he does receive the honor of having a star, he doesn't even have to attend the ceremony if he doesn't want to.  Jonathan Frid has been, is now, and always will be a class act.

Gerard